Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Anyone read anything by Peter F. Hamilton?

I'm almost done reading The Dreaming Void (never read any of his other books) and the subplot is about ten times as interesting as the main plot :(

I find myself trudging through the main story chapters just to get to the awesome subplot story chapters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
I probably like it a lot less, since I wasn't aware that this book was the first in a series in the same universe as other books he's written (Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained) so going into reading the book I'm basically thinking "what the gently caress is a u-shadow" and such. Of course, it seems all the relevant technological back story was in those books.

This book, even the main story was highly imaginative, but I found it much harder to just accept some of the technology he creates in this story rather than the subplot. Without getting too spoilery, the subplot feels more like an archaic fantasy (which is noted once or twice by the actual characters within the book) and has elements that are easier to relate to that don't require a leap of faith into how the world looks.

The part I didn't really like was the fact that the main plot covered several different characters at any one time, perhaps to show how each of the different factions and such were handling the universe that was going on outside of The Void, but most times it simply wasn't as interesting as the magical setting he writes every other chapter.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

lilbean posted:

Pretty sure the subplot becomes the real plot (or merges with it) if we're thinking of the same thing. Give the second book a read for sure if you liked those sections.

That makes me feel so much better then, I was worrying about getting the second book only to hear more Advancer vs Higher vs ANA dribble "oh my god the factions are waving their new technology dicks around :gonk:"

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Hrm, it comes out in the end of august, so perhaps I'll do that. I've got other books to read anyways.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

MacGyvers_Mullet posted:

Hung Yuri, if I were in your position I'd hold off on getting the next book until Hamilton's done with the trilogy and check out the Commonwealth saga in the meantime. About a third of the significant characters are really established in that series, and a lot of the tension and mystery came from which powerful characters and factions were missing, but hinted at in the Void trilogy.

I recently got Pandora's Star, Judas Unchained, and The Temporal Void (for later). I'm halfway through chapter 1 of Pandora's Star and currently he's putting me to sleep, though I think this is how it was until about 200 pages into The Dreaming Void, so I'll stick with it.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump
Thank you for suggesting me to stick with Judas Unchained. I'm up to the third chapter after putting it off again and again, and it's starting to get really interesting.

I can't say I was expecting to read "STICK 'EM UP MOTHERFUCKER" in a sci-fi novel, that's for sure.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Tanith posted:

The joy that is Peter F. Hamilton.

I'm still wondering how he's going to tie things up in the Evolutionary Void and if he can avoid the major pitfall of everything else he's written thusfar. See: Edeard at the end of the Temporal Void, Fallen Dragon :ughh:, Night's Dawn :psyduck: ...

Maybe his dreams of the world outside the void will show him what happens as a result of him mucking about with time, so that he stops?

Wait a second. Are you telling me Edeard is in Fallen Dragon and Night's dawn? I thought that was a separate universe?

You're just trying to get me to spend more money on him aren't you, Mr. Hamilton. :argh:

edit: I didnt click or read the spoilers because I haven't read the 2nd Void book yet.

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Tanith posted:

Paul Atreides is actually Edeard. Didn't you read the books by Herbert's son?

I was referring to the non-Void books as other examples of Hamilton's completely losing it at the end of his books, and hoping against hope he hasn't painted himself into a corner with Edeard in said Void trilogy. Hamilton cannot write good endings.

I've been meaning to read dune, but I sort of realize I just like the quotes at the beginning of each chapter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hung Yuri
Aug 29, 2007

by Tiny Fistpump

Magnificent Quiver posted:

No you've got it right, Hamilton's books are just straight-up retarded and mostly irredeemable. There's much better space opera out there.

His latest dreamworld series or whatever isn't bad though.

Like what? Hamilton is mostly my biggest foray into (the books anyways) space opera.

• Locked thread