Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

Zophar posted:

I read the first one and absolutely loved it, but the cliffhanger ending upset me enough that I lost all interest in reading The Fall of Hyperion.

This is from a few pages back, but I have to say that I personally loved the ending to Hyperion. It punctuated perfectly that the book isn't about the end result of the pilgrims, but about their journey.

Fall of Hyperion was great, until the last third. Then it turned into fantasy masturbatory trash and I regret finishing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug
I really liked Dan Simmons's Hyperion. I did not like the series after the first book because I think he ruined it halfway through Fall of Hyperion, but I enjoyed the first so much I bought Ilium to see if he could perform the same sort of magic and beautiful prose.

Well, Ilium was good. Nothing amazing, but I loved the characters (especially Mahnmut and Orpho of Io) and could tell it was an earnest examination into the role of knowing our past in who we are (cleverly, with three sets of protagonists: one with no cultural history, one with no memories of his past, and one who is not human, but knows more about human culture than the other two). Ilium definitely didn't have the compelling tragedy and dread that Hyperion had, but it was funny and cool and interesting.

Up next is Olympos, the sequel. I'm hoping beyond all hope that Simmons doesn't ruin this series as well, but I know it may happen.

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Magnificent Quiver posted:

Not only does he ruin it, he apparently learned his lesson from the Hyperion series and figured out how to ruin a series twice as fast.

Aww man. I'll read it anyway, unless it starts to really piss me off. But I got really drat pissed about HUMAN GOD VS ROBOT GOD and SPACE JESUS in Hyperion. I guess if it's ruined twice as fast, it'll be in the first quarter of Olympos and I'll know early on to quit! :cawg:

Tanith posted:

Did you mess around with Endymion and Rise of Endymion? Space Catholicism as a concept, and Space Priest and Co. as characters are awesome, and the rest of the books are terrible.

On the topic of ruining series: Evolutionary Void tomorrow! :ohdear:

No I decided that the series was dead to me after Fall of Hyperion. I don't hate Fall, because it did have some cool stuff, but man did it disappoint in the last half. It's like Simmons just gave up! I figured there was pretty much nowhere interesting left to go besides mystical fantasy-land, and the descriptions of Endymion didn't impress me (and the cover art wasn't good enough for me to ignore everything else).

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Pillbug

Flipswitch posted:

Can anyone give me a run down on Alastair Reynolds' novels? I keep seeing them at my local(ish) Waterstones, specifically the Revelation Space novel/timeline? They look and sound interesting but I'm a bit hesitant to pick them up on the fly.

That said though I have a stupid amount of books backlogged I need to get through and I am just adding to the list, but Reynolds is apparently Welsh and that does tip the balance in his favour to me.

I've only read the first two, but I definitely recommend them. Well, try the first one out anyway. It works well as it's own thing, and I really like the universe Reynolds sets up.

I can't really recommend Chasm City as much. It starts out fairly compelling, but Reynolds loses track of what the point is. The "mystery" in the book becomes extremely obvious before it's revealed in earnest to the reader and protagonist, but I still had fun confirming that I had been correct for the last 300 or so pages. It has a weird B-plot that doesn't really get resolved within the book, but we are promised that it will be all wrapped up in the next exciting adventure! Also, there is one character that ruins the whole thing for me because she does. absolutely. nothing.*

*Except be a ditsy genetically engineered furry.

Mike the TV fucked around with this message at 18:22 on Aug 25, 2010

• Locked thread