Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
My personal experience with the Harrington books was that the first one was a pretty enjoyable read. After that, each book got progressively more bloated, with an inverse correlation in quality. I still re-read the first 5 or so, but after that I just don't bother. Actual character development takes a far backseat to heavy-handed political commentary.

It actually pretty sharply mirrors my experience with Tom Clancy's Jack Ryan books, come to think of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

WarLocke posted:

We need an alternative history thread in here so I can discuss Flint's 1632 series with other nerds. :(
If you really want to do this, you should check out the forums at baen.com. There's like 25 different subforums just for 1632 topics.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!
This review is pretty much all you need to know. Oh, John Ringo no.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Moist von Lipwig posted:

In the mean time, anyone have a choice-few really good books from the Baen Free library

I would second mllaneza's recommendation of Laumer. Personally I don't think you can go wrong picking up almost anything by David Drake. If you like Basilisk Station you would probably enjoy some of the other Weber books like The Apocalypse Troll, Mutineer's Moon and the March Upcountry series. There's also BaenCDs at the Fifth Imperium for other free books that aren't all in the Free Library.

• Locked thread