Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

I'm halfway through Berserkers: The Beginning, a collection of Fred Saberhagen's short stories about sentient warships whose one and only goal is to wipe out life. Lots of action with some disturbing bits about experiments on human prisoners, the way he describes the Berserkers synthesised voices as snatches of speech from different people the machines had captured is creepy.

I've heard that the full length novels aren't as good, though.

Shampoo posted:

Oh, an oldie but goodie I forgot about are Frederick Pohl's Heechee books.

Good call, I've only read Gateway so far, but that was excellent.

muscles like this? posted:

That's pretty much what happened to me and I really liked it! I had heard about the Culture series but nothing specific so I went in with a blank slate.

Same here. I'd never heard of Iain M. Banks before an English teacher lent me her copy of Consider Phlebas, it's still my favourite. That was partly responsible for getting me into sci-fi. Cheers, teacher whose name I cannot remember!

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 11:19 on Jun 25, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

it dont matter
Aug 29, 2008

There's a Xeelee omnibus coming out, though Amazon says it's not being released in paperback until Jan 2011.

Baron Von Awesome posted:

So, I want to start a new space opera book but I'm having trouble choosing which one to buy next. I've narrowed it down to three choices, all coming recommended from this thread:

-A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
-Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
-Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks

From someone that's read all three, which one would you say is the best place to start? I'm not quite certain I'll be willing to read the entire series from any of them, so just consider the first titles for now.

I've not read Revelation Space yet, but just finished A Fire Upon The Deep and it was fantastic. Consider Phlebas is also great. You can't really go wrong with any of them.

quote:

Can anyone recommend a book with a humanity uber alles theme? I have a weakness for books where humanity gets beaten or starts out as the underdog, then proceeds to kick rear end. Sort of like the first three books of the Uplift series, or that weird Niven book where the elephant aliens invade the solar system.

Try Old Man's War by John Scalzi and Armor by John Steakly. Also recommend Berserkers: The Beginning by Fred Saberhagen, a collection of short stories about humanity fighting against huge sentient killing machines. There is a series called Orphanage by Robert Buettner which would fit the bill, but I couldn't finish the first book because I found the writing so weak. Maybe one to get from the library.

it dont matter fucked around with this message at 13:32 on Aug 7, 2009

• Locked thread