Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
It's surfing the border between Cyberpunk and Space Opera, but nobody's yet mentioned the works of Neal Asher.

Set in a post-singularity universe, you've got strong AI, FTL travel, nanotech, mind up/downloads, exotic weapons, ancient races, big splodey things, political bullshit, some military action, small splodey things, lots of people shooting at each other and GIANT CARNIVOROUS SPACE CRABS.

The short story "Adaptogenic" set in the Polity universe can be read in it's entirety here.

Yes, I know about the mirrors thing. Shut up and enjoy it.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 00:38 on Jun 13, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!
What's the general take on Gregory Benford's Galactic Centre stuff? I've read one of them out-of-order at the library one day, but it did't quite click on it's own - is it worth looking them up in proper order?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

coyo7e posted:

Seconding this. Both have their strengths and criticisms, but both are an epic blast.
Isn't the ending to the Void stuff complete deus-ex bollocks?

Speaking of bollocks - is Julian May's Galactic Milieu series as wank as I remember it being quite some years ago?

Kerbtree
Sep 8, 2008

BAD FALCON!
LAZY!

notaspy posted:

I've read through this threat to find a book or series I'm pretty sure doesn't exist. I'm wanting something with the following plot devices:

- A Human empire or at least Humans as a major force in the universe
- Epic space battles
- Epic ground battles
- An epic scale either in time or space
- Political intrigue
- Aliens
- NO loving KIDS, well not as major characters!

I take it you've read Neal Asher's Polity stuff and Iain M. Banks' Culture books, right?
Or if you're okay with something somewhat... anachronistic, there's always the Lensman books. They were scaling poo poo up to ludicrous levels before anime even existed.
Seriously.
Space Battles: yep, giant ships shooting all sorts of stuff at each other. Including weirdo relativistic and antimatter weapons and stuff.
Ground Battles: power armour, super-heavy space-axes and beatings ahoy!
Epic Scale: literally a clash of galactic proportions, and the technology level of each book eclipses the previous.
Political intrigue: yep. Spoilers.
Aliens: Evil aliens. With dangerous brain powers!
No Kids. Er. Stop before you hit Children of the Lens.

Kerbtree fucked around with this message at 23:54 on May 6, 2012

• Locked thread