Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Guys and gals, this very well may be common knowledge, but according to the all knowing wikipedia, Vinge is currently working on a sequel to A Fire Upon the Deep, set ten years after the events of that book. Jesus I cannot wait. If it's half as creative and deep(hah) as the other two books, we may have a triple crown winner on our hands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Velius posted:

As far as I know, he's been 'currently working' on that sequel ever since Rainbows End came out almost four years ago, with no details released since then. Since the gap between his novels seems to be 7 years (Fire in 1992, Deepness in 1999, Rainbows in 2006) I'd say we probably have at least a year or two before it's out. Also, I'd be much more interested in a sequel to Deepness, although since we pretty much know how things turn out I'm not sure where he could go with the human characters, anyway.

I figured it must have been old news. Still a nice surprise for me personally- AFUtD had a pretty solid ending, though it obviously left some things unresolved. I wonder whether the sequel will focus on the interaction between the humans and tines or events in the slow zone-spiked beyond. Or both, or neither. I agree a sequel to deepness would be somewhat difficult (though not impossible by any means) due to the way things ended up in that book. I'd really like to see another novel about the Qeng-Ho regardless, whether with Pham or without him. Vinge has really left me wanting more novels (and stories) set in his universe.

On a related note, has anyone here read his short story The Blabber? I hear its set in the zones of thought universe, and I'm wondering how closely related it is to Fire and Deepness.

edit: Since we've had a Vinge novel set in the slow zone and one set in the beyond, I'm hoping for a traditional fantasy set in the depths and a ridiculously high tech, Joycean philosophical novel set in the transcend. One can hope, right?

free hubcaps fucked around with this message at 16:50 on Dec 15, 2009

free hubcaps
Oct 12, 2009

Velius posted:

stuff

Yea, I wasn't really serious about him setting a novel in the transcend. In fact, I would kind of be disappointed if he did- as you say, the whole point and appeal of the transcend is just how incomprehensible and godlike the powers within it are to those outside it, and more exposition would probably retroactively lessen the impact of Fire.

• Locked thread