Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kerbtree posted:

Or if you're okay with something somewhat... anachronistic, there's always the Lensman books.

Warning: the Lensman books' characterization of women is...extremely poor, at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

mcustic posted:

I'm reading Neal Asher's The Departure, or, as I call it The Ravings of a UKIP Lunatic.

...which is apparently still not on Kindle, damnit.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

mcustic posted:

Can't you get it from .co.uk? Not sure how that works, I'm neither in the US nor in the UK, but I can shop from both sites.

Not for Kindle. I could order a physical copy from co.uk, but not the digital version, at least not without some sort of hoops I don't know how to deal with.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Rocksicles posted:

anyone read The Lost Fleet by Jack Campbell?

Repetitive as hell and with the usual space opera tropes regarding the comparative competence of the military versus civilians, particularly politicians. Past that its decent popcorn.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Libluini posted:

His best books are still Beyond the Frontier, I think.

I prefer The Lost Stars (Tarnished Knight and the forthcoming Perilous Shield) myself, but that's just because it's not Black Jack anymore (so a bit less repetitive).

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Flatscan posted:

Pretty much the same as the others, except with different characters. You don't really find out anything about the Syndics that you haven't already been told before.

Different characters are worth a lot to me at this point, though, as is no longer really dealing with massive potentially galaxy-wrecking aliens in favor of just picking up the pieces of a broken empire.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Vanilla posted:

Just FYI, the second book of the lost fleet saga that tells the story of the syndic planet came out today. Not yet gone for it as i've got too much to read as it is!

The Lost Stars - Perilous Shield

If you liked the first one, you'll like this one, but (much like the rest of the lost fleet saga) it's a wee bit repetitive.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Danith posted:

The Deathstalker series by Simon R. Green http://www.amazon.com/Deathstalker-1-Simon-R-Green-ebook/dp/B005HG583G/

:) A little campy maybe but I thought it was awesome vOv

Just make sure to stop after the first book. What happens is you keep reading, and then at some point you realize Green's writing the same book again and again and again and just turning the volume knob up slightly each time...

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Mister Kingdom posted:

I about finished with Shards of Honor. It's good, but not great. How does the rest of the saga stack up?

Honestly, depends on what you want. Read the next two books (the viewpoint shifts after Barrayar to The Warrior's Apprentice), and bail out after that if you aren't impressed. Barrayar is a bit more violent, a bit more political, and ironically a bit less space opera than The Warrior's Apprentice.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

specklebang posted:

This is the very last book in the Neal Asher Polity Universe series set thousands of years after Orbus. It's OK, but just OK.

I'd call it a bit better than ok. It gives the flavor of the Polity Universe, without a lot of the baggage implicit in the rest of the line.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Darth Walrus posted:

if you can't read the spoilered section without your eyeballs rolling out of your skull, this is not the book for you.

Aww, goddamn it. I already bought it but hadn't gotten around to reading it yet, and now I wish I hadn't bought it.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Vaz posted:

Any ideas the next book is coming out or not?

It may be a while. From an interview on the Captain Vorpatril's Alliance tour:

quote:

I’m kind of between projects, or I’ve got things that are not going well enough to make any promises. I’m working on a novella, which I was actually reading from on the book tour, so I guess now I have to finish the darn thing because I’ve given so many people the beginning of it. I have to think of a middle and an end for this. And I have some other things I was working on this spring that died. I’m not sure whether it needs a different approach or what.

I have no contracts at the moment. I’m in an interestingly comfortable place financially. I’ve finally got the retirement savings up to the point to where I don’t actually need another advance to live until I can finish the next book, though it gives me possibly more artistic freedom than I quite know what to do with. I’m having to figure out where I’m at now if I’m not rushing to get paid before the lights get turned off. That will be the next challenge, I guess. What is my next phase as a writer?
http://www.lightspeedmagazine.com/nonfiction/interview-lois-mcmaster-bujold/

...and I haven't seen that novella anywhere that I remember, so she doesn't seem to be in a hurry.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

EdBlackadder posted:

Everything I read of Asher that isn't fiction makes me really angry, but not enough to stop me enjoying his books. That said a Penny Royal trilogy sounds fun.

Well...I used to agree with you, but in fairness his recent blog entries are kind of depressing now rather than rage-inducing. Apparently his wife died recently.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Anybody know whether the newest Honorverse book ("A Call to Duty (Manticore Ascendant)") is more David Weber, or more Timothy Zahn? If it's more Zahn I'm inclined to pick it up, but...
http://www.amazon.com/A-Call-Duty-Manticore-Ascendant/dp/1476736847

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

jng2058 posted:

He's an annoying Marty Stu who would make the whole series better through his death. :colbert:

Mercifully offscreen this series though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

savinhill posted:

The last one about his cousin was pretty much romance.

And A Civil Campaign before that. And Barrayar, for a lot of it. Romance mixed with other items is pretty much Bujold's stock in trade.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

pork never goes bad posted:

This is such a good goddamn book

...shame about the horrible Jack Crow section in the middle. Not sure if it was ultimately good or bad Steakley died while writing the sequel.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Drifter posted:

Wow. Way to sound like a grade-A dick, man.

Yeah that read worse than was intended. I loved Armor. I have real doubts about any sequel written twenty years later, so I'm not sure if it was better to get a sequel or not.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

General Battuta posted:

just jump into Use of Weapons.

Just jump into Use of Weapons. It was my first Culture novel and it worked out fine. Although Player of Games is still my favorite.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Psion posted:

poo poo, the story barely started in those things. The first book was a 700 page guidebook to how magic trains work versus steam trains and how this impacts long-haul freight logistics. Those books are loving dire.

I mean yeah unless you're WarLocke but for anyone else: loving dire.
That sounded interesting enough that I reread the blurb:

quote:

The Union of Arcana has expanded through the portals linking parallel universes for over a century and a half. In that time, its soldiers and sorcerers have laid claim to one uninhabited planet after another—all of them Earth, and in the process, the Union has become the most powerful, most wealthy civilization in all of human history. But all of that is about to come to a screeching halt, for the Union’s scouts have just discovered a new portal, and on its far side lies a shattering revelation. Arcana is not alone, after all. There is another human society, Sharona, which has also been exploring the Multiverse, and the first contact between them did not go well. Arcana is horrified by the alien weapons of its sudden opponents, weapons its sorcerers cannot explain or duplicate. Weapons based upon something called . . . science. But Sharona is equally horrified by Arcana’s “magical” weapons. Neither side expected the confrontation. Both sides think the other fired first, and no one on either side understands the “technology” of the other. But as the initial disastrous contact snowballs into all-out warfare, both sides can agree on one thing. The portal which brought them together is Hell’s Gate itself!
:catstare:

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

jng2058 posted:

So is Armor.

Second Armor. Feel free to skim the second section though.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Cythereal posted:

Sorry I hurt your feelings, Neal.

Nah. Asher is actually busy with therapy in the wake of his wife's death (January 2014), which I think is why we haven't seen a timeline for the next book.
http://theskinner.blogspot.com/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

Subjunctive posted:

Is there a good collection of Retief out there? Kindle appears under equipped.

Baen will happily send a .mobi over to your kindle email address for you:
http://www.baen.com/retief.html

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

ZombieLenin posted:

At one point in Revelation Space, Light Huggers are described as traveling at less than 100th the speed of light. So doing the math, traveling at 99.99% of the speed of light, from the point of view of those on the Light Huggers, traveling 15 light years (to the stationary observer) would take a little over 77 days.

Not your point I understand, but "less than 100th" is "less than 1%", not "99.99%."

More critically, I read what I think the relevant passage in Revelation Space to be "less than one percent slower than light", which is anywhere from 99.01% to 99.99%. How much do the numbers change with acceleration at 99.01%?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

coyo7e posted:

I'm sure that the booming population of Louisiana book goons will appreciate being informed

Hey gently caress you too buddy (LA book goon checking in).

• Locked thread