Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

n4 posted:

Also, I learned recently John C. Wright has some weird, regressive and rigid attitudes about all sorts of poo poo. It's hard to read his books now and not catch him inserting his ultra-conservative ideas in it, even when talking about strange human offshoots 70,000 years in the future. :shrug:

I was enjoying the Golden Oecumene books but part-way through I realized it was basically post-singularity Ayn Rand. there's a hegemonizing swarm as a stand in for Communism.

he was an athiest back then. now I think he's an extremely hardcore right wing Catholic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
hahaha, told you so. post scarcity society where its still a thing to scold the lazy poors. Wright's a hack.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

flosofl posted:

Not sure what the rule is for five year old books, so...

The PM is able to gently caress with space-time at a fundamental level, as evidenced by its behavior on Eros. So I imagine any conventional attacks would do gently caress-all other than piss it off. And base on what little they know of it, the uncertainty of bombing the poo poo out of it falls under "DO NOT PISS IT OFF".

That's not even taking into account the balancing act the UN, MCRN, and OPA have going. If the UN and/or MCRN were to focus their big guns on Venus, it might embolden one or all of the others to kick off system wide war.

yeah... later in the series you'll see what that stuff does when it thinks you're a threat. it's a good thing they didn't attempt to harm it.

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
spoiler alert: even backwards Louisiana libraries lend e books these days.

• Locked thread