Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

IonClash posted:

I'm going to catch hell for this, but I really enjoyed The Saga of the Seven Suns by Kevin J. Anderson. I enjoyed the array of characters and locations. It's 7 books long and covers several alien races, their sub-races, and humans (as well as their separate cultures). It's a bit daunting to keep track of, and KJA likes to flip-flop between characters/locales quite a bit. They were still an enjoyable read though.

This was one of the best modern space operas I've read in awhile...KJA is a great author, never read any of his stuff I didn't like. I'm kinda pissed because I never bought the last book and now they've reprinted them, so when I do buy it the spine and cover will be different. :mad: Have to hit a used bookstore I guess. He created a very rich universe there though.

After reading this thread I'm going to check out Friedman's In Conquest Born. Read this description on Amazon: "The novel is built on the contrast of two protagonists, young people whose talents lead them to the tops of two space-going societies: one militaristic, paranoid and male-dominated; the other pluralistic, with advanced mental powers. The plot follows them from birth to their clash as the two vast space-empires struggle for domination. This is space opera in the best sense: a combination of high-stakes adventure with a strong focus on ideas and characters whose fate an intelligent reader can care about."

Sounds very Legend of Galactic Heroes to me, so I'm looking forward to it. Also his book Madness Season was fantastic and it was absolutely criminal when io9 did a "Vampires in Space" list the other day and left it off. (Though they put E.E. Knight's Vampire Earth on there so I can't hate them too much)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

EX-GAIJIN AT LAST posted:

Ah, are they all out in paperback? I was waiting to start it until I got the last two, but they weren't out yet and I had such a big stack of other books to read that I pretty much forgot about it.

Also while I wouldn't say KJA is a "great" author, I have liked his books despite his faults at least. I think I'm like the only person on the planet who thought the Butlerian Jihad Dune prequels were fun to read.

Yeah, I pretty much did the exact same thing with the last book. They're out in new reprints, but the covers are so horrible and plain compared to the beautiful and detailed art of the first printing.

His books can be kinda pulpy, but good. Ill Wind was decent apocolyptica, and his Wells and Verne pastiches were fun.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Chairman Capone posted:

I just got S.M. Stirling's The Sky People today. For those who don't know it's set in an alternate history where in the early 1960s the first US and Soviet space probes to Venus and Mars found, instead of the dry dead worlds of reality, worlds teeming with life - Venus a jungle-like planet with dinosaurs, Mars a Barsoom-like planet, both with human tribes and kingdoms and whatnot on them. So instead of someone like John Carter meeting Dejah Thoris you have NASA astronauts meeting the kings of Mars.

I haven't started reading it yet and to be honest Stirling isn't my favorite writer but the concept just seems really, really neat to me - does anyone know any other books that are similar to this?

I'd be very interested to hear what you think when you're done. The concept sounds fantastic but I can't stand Stirling, so I'd need a really good recommendation before I drop money on that.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I like the Lost Fleet series. The criticisms above are correct, but it's still compelling and the protagonist is a great character. It does seem to be dragging a bit, but there's some interesting twists that when they finally address them it will be a big turning point (the aliens and what he does when he gets home).

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tanith posted:

Book two of Lost Fleet and Captain Falco...:ughh: AND ALIENS?!?!?

There's something that annoys me about repetitive phrasing in books, fortunately it seems to be limited to "SO COLD" and "THIS ISN'T HAPPENING IN REAL TIME!". Yes, we get the idea already. At least Campbell hasn't pulled a Hamilton and put a prodigious amount of awkward space sex in.

Captain Falco is awesome.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Decius posted:

Who are a major plot point for the rest of the series, although without direct appearance - or nearly so.

However Campbell is writing two further series in the same universe - of which premise I better don't say anything since it would spoil the rest of this series.

These will be about Geary having to struggle with deciding to take over, right? And the other will be about the aliens? I think these will be awesome plot threads, but I worry that if he moves as slowly on those as he did this one it'll be 20 more books before it's over, not much will have happened.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

fermun posted:

This is what he says about them on his website:
I have contracts for two follow-on series. One will be called The Lost Fleet - Beyond the Frontier. These will continue to follow Black Jack and his companions as they deal with events surrounding VICTORIOUS. The other series (The Phoenix Stras) is set in a formerly Syndic star system as the people there cope with the ongoing collapse of the Syndicate Worlds.

That sounds cool as hell.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Somehow I'm just a sucker for his stuff though. He lacks the punch and brilliance of say, John Scalzi, but I still like him so much more than other authors who can get a bit repetitive.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

coffeetable posted:

One bit of space opera that hasn't been mentioned yet is Ken MacLeod's Newton's Wake. It suffers a little from a Stross-esque focus on ideas rather than characters, but as a Scot I'm rather partial to the thought of a Glaswegian gang controlling a galaxy-spanning wormhole network and making money by thieving post-human relics.

I read that a few months ago. It's fantastic.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Guess what I got today?

:woop:

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tanith posted:

He sets himself up for both new storylines he's planning on following in this, by which I mean MY FULFILLMENT :doom:

This is great so far. Seems to be going in a much less predictable direction, and I love the fact that from his own perspective he's gone from a Commander to Fleet Admiral in about 2 months! :D

:what:: "I'm not qualified for this."
:haw:: "Sure you are!"
:what:: "No really, I'm not qualified for this."

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Tanith posted:

I do wish he were more visually descriptive though, since space opera is something you want to imagine, and he's very sparse with mental imagery and background stuff. Shark-like being the only indication of what the Alliance ships look like is not helpful, especially when it doesn't come to book 6, and is only relative to a different fleet. I'm not asking for flowery nonsense, but a little help in this department would be nice.

I literally see all his space battles and the screens the characters are watching them on as the ships and interface from the old game Imperium Galactica becaues I have no other frame of reference. :laugh:

Edit: Just finished it, it was awesome. It actually covered more ground than I thought it would, and rather quickly. A great wrapup to that arc. Can't wait for more!

Astroman fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Jun 7, 2010

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

WarLocke posted:

I never knew they made a game out of that. :aaa:

I really liked the first 5 or so Harrington books. They're not exactly literary masterpieces, but "Horatio Hornblower in Space" is pretty entertaining. Later on the series starts plodding though, when it starts focusing more on galactic politics and junk. Some of the side stories and spin-offs are pretty good, though.

And while I guess it doesn't really count as space opera, Weber's newer Safehold series is really drat awesome. Except for naming the enemy aliens Gbaba. :psyduck:

We need an alternative history thread in here so I can discuss Flint's 1632 series with other nerds. :(

This isn't a bad idea. Between Flint and Turtledove alone, there's a lot to talk about. As bad as some of those books can get, I'm a sucker for the premise.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Hobnob posted:

If you really want Hornblower in space, you should look for David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, starting with Midshipman's Hope, which really nails the "angsty captain who can't live up to his own standarhttp://forums.somethingawful.com/editpost.php?action=editpost&postid=377984665ds but everybody else thinks is the bollocks" part of it.

Hell yeah. I was going to bring this up after reading this page, til I saw your post. Very, very specific about naval life and regulations, the most so of any novel besides Hornblower; and the regulations plus the main character's religion and morals put him in to all kinds of impossible situations he somehow gets out of with amazing ingenuity.

Apparently Feintuch was working on the 8th book when he died, but it has yet to be published. :(

Wikipedia posted:

Galahad's Hope is the current title of the eighth and final book in the Seafort Saga of science fiction novels, and the sequel to Children of Hope. The manuscript was reported[1] to be completed before the death of author David Feintuch, however orbit have no current plans to publish this book. According to an Orbit online marketing executive, they haven't been approached by anyone connected to David Feintuch with a view to publishing the manuscript.
:argh:

Tanith posted:

Geary is actually pretty Hornblower-like, but I think it's not done as well, or not with enough variety. He has his problems, and they keep getting repeated. Hornblower's insecurities, while following a general theme, at least evolve or change such that they're at least not practically verbatim. Campbell said in an interview that he wanted people to sort of be able to pick up the later books in his series without being totally lost, but still, it gets a bit much. Take a shot every fleet council where Geary gets mad, says something and didn't realize it until everyone stared at him etc. I hope he doesn't go with that in his new stuff, because it's annoying and his prose can get terribly redundant.

There's still a bit of that in the latest book but Geary has definitely evolved. At the same time though he does some callbacks to the first book to show the contrast. There's also more references to the changes in society Geary is having to face outside the fleet, which are appropriate and good.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Noricae posted:

I agree and was pretty underwhelmed. It didn't help that I nearly read Forever War/etc back to back with Old Man's War and sequels (Haldeman first), I guess (in that it added to being underwhelmed, and now I continually mix aspects of both series up). Don't do this.

The people that recommended or mentioned Old Man's War to me all hadn't read similar stuff at all, especially not reaching back to the '70s, so that might explain why it got so overhyped.

(Also, Haldeman totally did the anti-Heinlein commentary 30 years before, adding to the similarities (surprisingly many).)

I never see this mentioned in space sci-fi threads but: Julian May (Rampart Worlds trilogy, maybe even the Galactic Mileu stuff (which is better) is a good read, and the Rampart Worlds stuff has a similar feel to Dan Simmons' sci-fi.

Hamilton's been on my to-read list for ages (7+years), and this thread's kind of putting me off of him now ;)

I loved OMW and bought 2 of the sequels so far; I really dig Scalzi. That said it's no Forever War, but what could be? That book is a giant.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

I just finished the first couple of books of Roger Allen McBride's Solace series, The Depths of Time and The Ocean of Years and they were pretty good.

I've pretty much been sitting on these for years because I'd bought the second one in the series accidentally and then took forever to buy the first and then forgot I had them.

The plot involves a society where intersteller travel is effected by a complex system of cryosleep and worm holes-people spend years traveling sublight while frozen to a wormhole, then go X number of years back in time, toodle along some more in sublight, and by doing so end up where they want to be within a few days or weeks after they left subjectively, but with 50-100 years of time passing on ship.

There's a big crazy mystery involving terraforming, a galactic puzzle hunt, and a brooding admiral as a protagonist who's right up there with Seafort and Black Jack McGeary on the emo scale (though he's a bit harder to get in the head of than either of those two, because most of the story is told from the POV of his companions).

Really fun reads. I'd never read any of his stuff before and was pleasantly surprised. I'll definitely be looking for the third in the trilogy.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Insane Totoro posted:

I have to admit, I love Ian Douglas and his whole idea of the USMC in outer spaaaaaaaaaaace.

Are there any other semi-realistic military scifi books out there? I'm thinking of getting the Familias Regnant series, Jack Campbell's Lost Fleet series, and what looks to be the exceptionally pulpy StarFist series.

Douglas' books are great, I have 2 of the 3 so far. Campbell is good. If you can stand the angst of Black Jack, then I'd recommend David Feintuch's Seafort Saga, though it's more a Napoleonic version of the military than a modern one, and the main character is great but :emo: as hell. It's also jarring at first how this series which takes place in the future has such old-fashioned religious and moral sensibilities, but when you get into the background of the society it's interesting and plausible how they got there.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

Yeah, say what you will about Lost Fleet he does eventually move the story along and when the plot does advance, cool and interesting stuff happens.

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

We're talking about Hornblower/Age of Sail IN SPACE and nobody mentions David Feintuch's Seafort Saga? For shame.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seafort_Saga

Set in a future where society has somehow reverted to 18th century codes of life, religion, and military, the hero is a conflicted young man who starts off as a midshipman and through an accident of circumstances finds himself in very reluctant command of a starship on a months long voyage. Following that, he progresses through the ranks.

In later books, the author goes back to Earth and actually explains, quite reasonably, how it is that society got that way, going all the way back to our present. It's almost a 1:1 conversion of Hornblower, with the exception that the hero is even MORE angsty and self doubting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Astroman
Apr 8, 2001

The Saddest Robot posted:

I picked up a couple of these books used. I enjoy them as kind of trashy sci-fi but they all feel similar to one another in a formulaic way, especially in the way that every book I read has an emotional climax with Seafort attempting some sort of hail mary/suicide play, but getting denied his sweet sweet suicide as someone else does the hail mary suicide play instead.

One can only take that so many times.

True, but at least he's more Hornblower perfect than Honor/Black Jack perfect. And he does somewhat have an arc where he grows and matures and finds some sort of happiness (even if he's still very rigid).

• Locked thread