Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
Singularity Sky and Iron Sunrise by Charles Stross both count I think.

Most of the action is on the ground though and the main two characters are secret agent types.

The first is set on a world that is set up like Tsarist Russia, they are visited by "The Circus" which gives people on the planet whatever they want, then sits back and watches what happens. A bunch of revolutionaries ask for weapons and then it goes weird.

The second features space nazis and is set just after a planet is destroyed and the survivors launch and counter-attack against the wrong people. There is a period of time before the counter-attack hits so the race is on to prevent it.

Anyway, I've read most of Charles Stross' stuff and these are my favourites by miles.

edit: I tried reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds but couldn't get into it. I mostly remember thinking "infighting archaeologists? Yawn..." was I wrong or are the other books better?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NastyPBears
May 2, 2003

Robots don't say "ye"
It's ages since I read that trilogy, but didn't it have a part where he mentions how organised religion was affected by knowing for certain there's life after death?

The way I remember it was him going on about how interesting it was, then refusing to tell us about it.

Also, those bitek people were insufferably smug. The first two Commonwealth books were much better, but yeah I skip over the bits with the trees.

• Locked thread