Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

ZipOtter posted:

Quick question about the Culture novels: Do these improve significantly after Consider Phlebas? I read it a while ago because I'm a huge fan of Vernor Vinge and was looking for something similarly epic/crazy but ended up hating everything about it. But I still think the Culture itself is a cool concept and would like to give the series another chance.

If you hated absolutely everything about Consider Phlebas I wouldn't bother with any more Banks. It seems unlikely they would interest you at all.

"Improve significantly" is kind of a loaded question for someone who likes Consider Phlebas to answer. They might improve in some ways, but overall his other stuff isn't that much different. So from you perspective I'd say "no".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Mr.48 posted:

As far as I know the only big name military sci-fi author that doesnt harbor terrible right-wing views is David Drake, despite having a name that sounds like a protagonist from a terrible right-wing fantasy novel.

If you don't already know him check out Joe Haldeman. He served in Vietnam and there's an extent to which his books are a reaction against how unrealstic military space opera is. The most well known, The Forever War is also very good. I'm not sure about is politics, but "terrible right-wing" would suprise me.

Other than that John Scalzi perhaps qualifies?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side

Lprsti99 posted:

Because I don't know when to stop collecting books to read, any recommendations for books which involve either Hordes of Alien Locusts or Grey Goo? I love those kinds of plots.

Well you've already got Hamilton's Commonwealth books. Those are by far my favourite of his.

Beyond that maybe The Forge of God by Greg Bear, it's been a while but I seem to remember enjoying it at the time.

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
While I'm here.... I'm in the mood for some epic action orientated science fiction that's fun to read with some big ridiculous set pieces, I want some "Holy poo poo! I can't believe that just happened moments."

As mentioned I really liked the Commonwealth Saga, I enjoy the Iain M Banks (and he's kind of what I'm thinking of with regards to the big ridiculous set pieces). Am not a big fan of Alistair Reynolds but did enjoy Cham City.

I haven't read any Vernor Vinge or Neal Asher, would either of those be a good fit?

Gravy Jones
Sep 13, 2003

I am not on your side
Thanks for the tips. I've added Asher to my "to read" pile and grabbed the first Williams book.

• Locked thread