Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

Tanith posted:

How do we feel about Campbell's Lost Fleet stuff? I picked up the first one, and I want to know if I should stop before I hurt myself or want to read the next five books.

Yeah, after you read the first two or three books you'll notice there is a really set formula that Campbell follows each book. With that said though, I really love them. I am a devourer of terrible scifi though. I'm pretty much the only person I know that likes reading (and rereading, and rereading again)Ian Douglas books, Robert Buettner's books, and James Alan Gardner's books. I know they are trashy books with no real merit, but drat are they fun.

Speaking of Ian Douglas, anyone read his new book; Earth Strike: Star Carrier? I kinda got a little burned out on him with "Semper Human" or whatever the third book is in his inheritance trilogy. Couldn't finish that one. Did I mention I really like lovely scifi?

USMC_Karl fucked around with this message at 11:10 on May 12, 2010

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

USMC_Karl
Nov 17, 2003

SUPPORTER OF THE REINSTATED LAWFUL HAWAIIAN GOVERNMENT. HAOLES GET OFF DA `AINA.

TjyvTompa posted:

I just started reading A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge and...I don't understand poo poo. I've read the first 60 pages and so far I don't understand anything, some kind of wolf people? Does it get more explained later? It just seems like I missed something.

I think I'm gonna get slammed for this but..... I picked up A Fire Upon the Deep cause of the huge following he has. It took me 2 or 3 false starts before I actually got into it, but I never really liked it all that much. I don't really remember much about it, but I want to say the whole relationship in the ship was pretty wonky. And the whole idea of some crazy space virus that takes over systems and magically converts people into its slaves, all the while a band of nice aliens that were so cool and awesome just happen to be magically engineered by said intelligence to help it propagate. Also, the ending was a pretty big let down.

With all that said, if you just get to the half way point things start to make a lot more sense and you'll be able to follow the story very easily. Nothing every gets really explained however, you just sort of glean basics by character interaction.

• Locked thread