Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

4 Day Weekend posted:

Galactic North was awesome, especially Glacial, Spy in Europa and Galactic North.

I've read Diamond Dogs & Turquoise Days as well, and while Diamond Dogs was amazing, I really didn't like Turquoise Days. Slow and didn't really go anywhere. Currently reading Zima Blue, but haven't finished it yet...I'll let you know what I think when I do.

I hated Diamond Dogs, but that was because I found it fairly profoundly disturbing. Turquoise Days was dull, but at least it wasn't quite so hosed up.

Satone posted:

I really liked the whole Rev Space Universe, but your right, Absolution Gap sucked. If there's someone out there reading the series right now, waiting to get to A.G., here's the best advice anyone can give you: don't. Skip the book. Don't buy it, don't touch it, don't look it up on Amazon, don't DO A GODDAMN THING WITH IT. Its a terrible ending that will cloud you judgement of the series.

Following this up; if you want to end the series, read Galactic North (the story) instead. And if you insist on reading Absolution Gap, read Galactic North first. It was written first, and it will make the pain easier. (EDIT: And introduces some of the same future as Absolution Gap in a less blindsidingly 'What the gently caress' kind of way. I really think you were meant to read it first)

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 12:02 on Sep 1, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Aussie Crawl posted:

What the hell is it about Sci-Fi authors and feeling the need to broadcast their sexual hang-ups in print?

Oh jesus. The Rama sequels win everything in this category.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It should be noted that Pandora's Star/Judas Unchained feature, in my opinion, his best writing and worldbuilding, and avoid the worse excesses of both the Confederation and the Void trilogies.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Doniazade posted:

Pushing Ice is a very close second though. I'd recommend it as a first book if you like harder SF.

Really? I thought Pushing Ice was his weakest book. It just felt... pointless and aimless.

• Locked thread