Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mr.48 posted:

Just wanted to give a shoutout to my favorite space-opera novel: In Conquest Born by C.S. Friedman. It remains one of my overall favorite novels to date.

Have you read her Coldfire Trilogy? If so, how does In Conquest Born compare? The Coldfire books are awesome.

Grub posted:

Depends on your version of romance and action etc, but I really enjoyed Stephen Donladson's "Gap series", 5 books that revolve around three main characters: a sadistic rapist pirate, a swarthy buckaneer arsehole, and a beautiful damsel/victim of unmentionable cruelty.

The Gap Cycle was horrific. I felt emotionally off-kilter after each book, and it only got worse as the series went on. The writing was good, but the subject matter and plots were some of the most cruel things I've ever encountered, and almost every character is a complete rear end in a top hat.

I've been trying to read Donaldson's Chronicles of Thomas Covenant and the main character there is an rear end in a top hat too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Mr.48 posted:

I did and loved those books to death. Although, I will say that In Conquest Born is a very different sort of book. No pseudo-fantasy here (not that theres anything wrong with that). Its more of a "hard" sci-fi variety, but Friedman has such a talent for creating fascinating characters that you just cant stop reading even if you're not a fan of hard sci-fi.

I'm fine with hard sci-fi. Like Chariman Capone above, Asimov is one of my favorite sci-fi authors.

Thanks for the recommendation. I'll definitely be picking that book up soon, probably this very payday. I've almost bought it half a dozen times before.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

I'll admit I have a soft spot for Alan Dean Foster's Pip and Flinx novels.

They're cheesy as gently caress but I love the universe they're set in. There's good guys and bad guys and weird guys, strange creatures and the odd psionic power.

He's been writing them for a long time now (over 30 years!) and some of the early books have hilariously anachronistic future technology, like the one where files are still physical files shrunk to microscopic size, opposed to data in a computer.

I admit I read them mostly out of habit, but I've never felt less than entertained. If I see a new one in the bargain bin, I'll pick it up for sure.

• Locked thread