Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1
No love for Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos? Admittedly, I haven't read many space operas, but I love this author and these books. I'm also eagerly awaiting the movie adaptation that has been optioned or in the works for a while now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

glug
Mar 12, 2004

JON JONES APOLOGIST #1

Baron Von Awesome posted:

I read the first one and absolutely loved it, but the cliffhanger ending upset me enough that I lost all interest in reading The Fall of Hyperion.

Sorry for the very very late reply.. wish you'd give it another go. He writes a lot of big books that really are two volumes. Hyperion should be read in pairs. Hyperion/The Fall of Hyperion, then Endymion/The Rise of Endymion. Not a space opera so to speak, but Illium/Olympos are the same way (and good reads).

Brought this up again because now would be the time to read it. Apparently as of January the movie options have a director - Scott Derrickson who did The Day the Earth Stood Still, directing for Warner Brothers. The old story was that Scorcese was interested, and DiCaprio wanted the Endymion role.

Director: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/news_items.htm#helmer
2008 Announcement: http://www.dansimmons.com/news/news_items.htm#film

It's been in talks and options and crap forever.. can't wait for this to hit the screen. And Dan at least is involved in the screen treatment for how to convert these 4 books into 1 or 3 movies.

• Locked thread