Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I read through the thread and decided to go through my stacks and see if I could add anything. There's not a lot left to mention.

L. Ron Hubbard's Battlefield: Earth (it's Scientology-free). But everything else he wrote was utter dreck, the Mission Earth decology was torture, I don't know why I slogged through it.

Timothy Zahn was mentioned, but no one mentioned that his Star Wars trilogy, beginning with Heir to the Empire, was probably the only time Star Wars books have ascended into the truly great category.

Kevin J. Anderson sucks. Asimov is awesome, A Deepness in the Sky and A Fire Upon the Deep are fantastic, and I had to give up on Peter F. Hamilton in the middle of his first trilogy, because it was horrible. Miles Vorkosigan is a dwarf.

Is Dune space opera? I mean there's space, right? And superheros basically. Sounds operatic. And what's better than Dune? I don't think I saw Dune in the thread except in regards to Kevin J. Anderson's work (if you can call it that).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fed_dude
May 31, 2004
I fully acknowledge and agree with most of the criticisms of the Honor Harrington books. But drat, I love reading them anyway.

Same with Ringo's Troy Rising series. Ridiculous uber right wing rants, but still enjoyed the hell out of the books.

I'd be happy to read non-political military sci-fi, or even liberal military sci-fi, but there doesn't seem to be much of it out there.

fed_dude
May 31, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Scalzi's later books in the Old Man's War series deconstruct a lot of the right-wing presumptions.

If you like Honor Harrington despite all the flaws I'd recommend the Doc Savage books, they're the pulpiest things imaginable. I got to about the fifth book where they're in a Lost Dinosaur Canyon and one of the protagonists bull-leaps a charging triceratops by grabbing the horns and flipping; at that point I was like "ok, that was awesome, but I'm done" but if you can tolerate Honor Harrington you'd probably be fine with that kind of thing.

I will check it the Doc Savage stuff. I've read and enjoyed the Old Man's War stuff.

• Locked thread