Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
shadok
Dec 12, 2004

You tried to destroy it once before, Commodore.
The result was a wrecked ship and a dead crew.
Fun Shoe

Vanilla posted:

I tried reading A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Verge because it got some good reviews here, but I just couldn't get into it.

I made several attempts to read this book over the years because Vinge is one of my favourite authors and "Marooned in Realtime" is one of my favourite books of all time, and I never made it much past the first couple of chapters. Last month I picked it up again randomly and bombed all the way through it. Sometimes books are like that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

fed_dude posted:

Is Dune space opera?

Dune is practically the textbook definition of "space opera".

shadok
Dec 12, 2004

Fun Shoe

Anthrovore posted:

On a related note, has anyone here read his short story The Blabber? I hear its set in the zones of thought universe, and I'm wondering how closely related it is to Fire and Deepness.

Technically it's sort of an epilogue to A Fire Upon the Deep, although since it was written before the novel it doesn't fit perfectly. Pham isn't in The Blabber but Ravna is.

• Locked thread