Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I saw a fan (goon?) made cover for it that was just a silhouette of a chair... it was beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Baloogan posted:

Any of you guys know much about the CoDominum series by Jerry Pournelle (and quite a few other authors)?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CoDominium

I've only read The Mote in God's Eye and it's sequel, Gripping Hand.

Mote is prime classic sf and has a really cool alien planet/biosphere set up (even though you don't visit the actual planet until the second book). The space navy comes off pretty stuffy, some of which I think is age since publication and some is intentional but it doesn't quite hit the baroque bureaucracy that, say, Banks' The Algebraist evokes. I didn't enjoy Gripping Hand as much as Mote, partly because they dig deeper into the unexplained/handwaved stuff that made the Moties cool, but still worth reading.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I was at Barnes and Noble and they have a free booklet with a new short story in it promoting The Expanse on SyFy, anyone read it? I'm curious what people think about it.

I thought it was kind of interesting but I feel like anyone who hasn't read the rest of the books won't give a poo poo about it and and it's a bad introduction to the series, even though it treats one of the basic universe building points. It should have just been the prologue to Leviathan Wakes instead of its own story.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

Biomute posted:

I'm trying to read Revelation Space for the fourth time. I've only ever managed about 100 pages. The universe is drab and boring, there are too many characters, none of which are likable. Derelict space ships and desert planets? So original. Words words words, jump-cut to some other character every 4 pages. Why should I care about any of this?

It's fine if you don't but I'd stop trying to read space operas if you don't like them.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think its kind of weird to read a female Samoan space marine as identical to the grizzled 50s noir detective who is complete with a pork pie hat... third book is definitely not my favorite in the series though.

Not sure exactly when this is revealed in its entirety but space goop is assimilating stuff and using it to build a consciousness and it's wisecracking because miller was a sarcastic rear end in a top hat, the same way holden was able to reach julie Mao inside it on eden.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
So I'm 80 pages into The Dragon Never Sleeps and it's just an unstoppable tide of unexplained jargon... I feel like I'm joy going to understand anything until I finish the book and reread it.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

chrisoya posted:

The Dragon Never Sleeps by Glen Cook

I'm gonna dis-reccomend this... I read and loved all of Cook's Black Company, but dragon never sleeps is an endless barrage of future space jargon and never has any exposition at all. It has too many plot lines and never serves any of them satisfactorily. It would have been a great duo or trilogy but as it is its kind of a slog. It does have a couple cool space battles and some of the various intrigues/scheming has payoff but it's too much work to get there for too little reward.

If you liked culture you should check out Against A Dark Background and The Algebraist, both also by Banks, if you haven't. They're both one-offs and both in very different universes than the Culture, but both great.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I think I'm a pretty active reader and I've read plenty of books that are "harder" than TDNS, I just didn't think he did a good job with it. Like i said i liked some elements of it and I thought it would have been an awesome trilogy but as a nonstop barrage of space jargon and characters I didn't find it very rewarding. I'll probably read it again at some point and maybe I'll like it more then.

Recently read the ghost brigades and I like how it basically turned Old Man's War on its head... looking forward to reading some more books in the series.

• Locked thread