Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Maybe someone can answer my question but what's the deal with the title for the first Culture novel, Consider Phlebas? I just finished it tonight and have no idea why it was called that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

DanceRobot posted:

I don't get the hate for Consider Phlebas. What I always thought would be awesome would be to have someone who knew absolutely nothing about the culture series or that such a series even existed (since that would give them a hint as to the outcome of the novel) and let them read it. Horza's feelings give the impression that the Culture are completely deserving of his hate and are on the verge of losing the war. Plus you never really expect a protagonist in a scifi novel to be on the losing side.

That's pretty much what happened to me and I really liked it! I had heard about the Culture series but nothing specific so I went in with a blank slate.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

lilbean posted:

I would suspect this is Accelerando, by Charles Stross.

Its definitely Accelerando, although in that it wasn't put forward as a good thing.

Not a novel but the manga Blame! is an interesting look into the far, far, far future. Its about a guy named Killy as he wanders through the "Megastructure" which is a solar system sized construct in which the remnants of humanity live.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

My problem with the Rama sequels was that weird backing off of the whole setting Clarke created with "Rendezvous" which had people living all throughout the solar system. Then the second book shows up and its all "naw, everybody moved back to Earth and it basically turned into the present."

I also didn't like how a lot of the story in the third book was driven by characters acting like morons.

• Locked thread