Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

El Campeon Mundial del Acordeon

muscles like this? posted:

Maybe someone can answer my question but what's the deal with the title for the first Culture novel, Consider Phlebas? I just finished it tonight and have no idea why it was called that.

It comes from the T.S. Eliot poem the Wasteland:

IV. DEATH BY WATER

PHLEBAS the Phoenician, a fortnight dead,
Forgot the cry of gulls, and the deep seas swell
And the profit and loss.
A current under sea 315
Picked his bones in whispers. As he rose and fell
He passed the stages of his age and youth
Entering the whirlpool.
Gentile or Jew
O you who turn the wheel and look to windward, 320
Consider Phlebas, who was once handsome and tall as you.

As to how this relates... I don't remember :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

http://www.powells.com/s?kw=neal+asher

Bam. US shipped and not from Amazon.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

Dijkstracula posted:

I'm about half way through Caliban's War right now. It's pretty fun beach reading, and overall I think it's a worthy sequel to Leviathan Wakes, though it starts off kinda awkwardly and even for summer reading, some of the plot points are telegraphed miles away (oh by the way we have a hull breach; I sure hope it isn't the protomolecule or anything). While I overall like the new character's POV chapters, Holden without MIller is super grating; Fred ripping into him and firing him from the OPA was almost worth it.. But still, it's superfun.

Yeah not a bad sequel, definitely setting up things to be finished in the 3rd book. Avasarala was great. Holden was lovely and annoying 99% of the book.

ShutteredIn
Mar 24, 2005

http://www.danielabraham.com/2012/03/29/some-big-news-about-the-expanse/

It was definitely billed as a trilogy, but that blog post confuses me. 3 more novels in addition to that... I guess?

• Locked thread