Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

I can just eyeball this, right?

I admit it. I love Space Opera. Realistic? Not really. Swash-buckling? Sometimes. Melodramatic? gently caress yes. I checked back 10 pages and didn't see a Space Opera thread, so now is as good a time as any to set one up.

From Wikipedia

Wikipedia posted:

Space opera is a subgenre of speculative fiction or science fiction that emphasizes romantic, often melodramatic adventure, set mainly or entirely in space, generally involving conflict between opponents possessing powerful (and sometimes quite fanciful) technologies and abilities. Perhaps the most significant trait of space opera is that settings, characters, battles, powers, and themes tend to be very large-scale.

Some of my favorites include:

David Brin's Uplift Universe novels

Alastair Reynold's Relevation Space Universe (a personal favorite)

What about you? Surely I can't be the only one who loves this kind of Sci-Fi. Do you have recommendations for more?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

quote:

edit: I tried reading Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds but couldn't get into it. I mostly remember thinking "infighting archaeologists? Yawn..." was I wrong or are the other books better?

I found the beginning of Revelation Space to be pretty slow, but rest assured things get better from there. I would almost say you can skip Revelatio. space entirely and not lose out on much. I preferred the second book, Chasm City much more.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Oh, an oldie but goodie I forgot about are Frederick Pohl's Heechee books.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Does anyone here read the Science Fiction Anthology magazines? Asimov's Science Fiction, Jim Baen's Universe, Analog, and Orion are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. Seems like they might be a source for new stuff, but I never thought about reading them before.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I actually was just going to bring that up, since I just started reading Juggler of Worlds. Actually, I think a lot of Niven's stuff fits well in space opera; even though it's "hard sci-fi", stuff like Ringworld and the Smoke Ring or the Man-Kzin Wars are essentially the definition of space opera.

That's a good point. The Known Space series is very Operatic.

Speaking of which, whatever happened to Niven? All he does is collaborations with authors I've never heard of, and none of them ever seem that good. I love his old stuff from the 70s, but can't get behind his latest works.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Moist von Lipwig posted:

Actually I'd like to hear some peoples thoughts on some of these if anyone's read them :) I'm a ridiculous Reynolds fan.

I've read just about everything that Reynolds has put out there, I'm a big fan as well. I even imported The Prefect and House of Suns because I didn't want to wait for the US release.

I'll be honest, my favorite AR book is probably Chasm City. It held my interest much more than Revelation Space did.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Satone posted:

Right now, I'm in the middle of reading Charles Stross' Accelerando, which is a credit to the genre. This guy is awesome.

I'll admit. I was a little scared of Stross from his reviewers. I read Accelerando and other than the one or two creepily detailed sex scenes, it was really good. After that, I read his new one "Saturn's Children" which is a decent enough story but a little weak. (though I'll disagree with the reviewers that said it was hard to keep track of the characters, it wasn't hard at all)

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Vanilla posted:

I tried reading A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Verge because it got some good reviews here, but I just couldn't get into it.

Things were poorly introduced and explained, people seem to lack character and I just didn't feel good pulling it out of my bag to read on the train. I stopped half way through the book and started on 'The Songs of Distant Earth' by Aurthur C Clarke.

Enjoying this one much more!

I ran into the same thing. The parts with those dog aliens and the children just didn't do it for me. I'll have to check out "The Songs of Distant Earth" I'm also looking to go to the library this week and pick up a few of the first "Culture" novels by Ian "m" Banks.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Just picked up the first "Honor Harrington" book on the recommendation of someone else, and "Consider Phlebas" even though supposedly the second Culture book is a better introduction, I prefer to read things like that in order.

I have to say, all the Baen books look the same. I mean, Baen is awesome, and I think they're a pretty decent publisher, but all their books look I would have loved them when I was 14.

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Shampoo posted:

Just picked up the first "Honor Harrington"

Half way through the book, and I would have loved the poo poo out of this when I was 14. Now though, eh. I'll finish it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

beep-beep car is go
Apr 11, 2005

Trig Discipline posted:

I finally read House of Suns after hearing nothing but glowing reviews, and I was not disappointed. Really, really good book.

I really enjoyed House of Suns. I actually imported the UK version because I couldn't wait for the US version to be released. Speaking of which, is there a specific reason (other than we like money, and American's don't like the letter u) that UK and US books have different editions?

I'm doing most of my reading now on the Nook, and while the nook is awesome for impulse purchases, the fact that I'm limited to the B&N library and Google Books means that there is a LOT of awesome, pulpy SciFi that I just can't get. The Star Wars books? Nope. Those Elizabeth Books? Other than the Vatta series, nope. Anything that's slightly obscure SciFi made before 1996 or so? Nada. It's frustrating.

• Locked thread