Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

So, I want to start a new space opera book but I'm having trouble choosing which one to buy next. I've narrowed it down to three choices, all coming recommended from this thread:

-A Fire Upon the Deep by Vernor Vinge
-Revelation Space by Alastair Reynolds
-Consider Phlebas by Iain M Banks

From someone that's read all three, which one would you say is the best place to start? I'm not quite certain I'll be willing to read the entire series from any of them, so just consider the first titles for now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zoph
Sep 12, 2005

glug posted:

No love for Dan Simmons' Hyperion Cantos? Admittedly, I haven't read many space operas, but I love this author and these books. I'm also eagerly awaiting the movie adaptation that has been optioned or in the works for a while now.

I read the first one and absolutely loved it, but the cliffhanger ending upset me enough that I lost all interest in reading The Fall of Hyperion.

• Locked thread