Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

YES I DO TALK TO PLANTS ACTUALLY
One bit of space opera that hasn't been mentioned yet is Ken MacLeod's Newton's Wake. It suffers a little from a Stross-esque focus on ideas rather than characters, but as a Scot I'm rather partial to the thought of a Glaswegian gang controlling a galaxy-spanning wormhole network and making money by thieving post-human relics.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

TELL ME AGAIN HOW GREAT BRITAIN WOULD BE IF IT WAS RULED BY THE MERCILESS JACKBOOT OF PRINCE CHARLES

Inyourbase posted:

Well I'm sold. That has to be the most oddly serious, but actually ridiculous quote ever, but the name of the ship slays me.

the banks thread is here, where they'll tell you to start with Use of Weapons on account of it being fantastic.

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

WarLocke posted:

I'm trying to remember a book I read at one point that featured a Matrioshka Brain, I want to say it was one of the Culture books but I honestly don't remember.

In any case, the idea of an entire solar system repurposed into nothing but a stupendously powerful megacomputer has always seemed totally rad to me. I'm wondering if any of you goons know of examples of such (or really any type of mega-engineering, such as the Ringworld) in books (most likely in stuff that would qualify as space opera I suspect, which is why I'm asking here)?

Stross's Palimpsest possibly outdoes Accelerando in this department. Could've sworn it was online at one point too, but can't find it now.

e: I'd also suggest Watt's Blindsight, free here. Warning: Watt's works are reliably depressing. As one reviewer put it, "Whenever I find my will to live becoming too strong, I read Peter Watts."

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 20:32 on Dec 23, 2010

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

regularizer posted:

Is there anything else I should try if I like the contact with alien species, extinct or otherwise? I also really liked the Commonwealth saga by Hamilton, particularly the bits about the High Angel.

For reasonably unique takes on it: A Deepness in the Sky treats first contact from the other side. Embassytown deals with communication in much greater depth than most any other novel. And Blindsight is, well, Blindsight. You don't get more alien than Rorschach.

coffeetable fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Dec 31, 2012

coffeetable
Feb 5, 2006

We need a new thread that bans discussion of books we're happy to admit are trash. This 'I knew it was awful after three pages, but I've made it to book #17 anyway!' poo poo is just enabling an addiction.

• Locked thread