Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

WarLocke posted:

One of the side-story books, Watch on the Rhine, covers Germany's defense over the course of the invasion. And yeah, they invent a reason that Germany can't come up with enough soldiers, so they rejuv all the surviving SS guys and give them futuristic Panzer tanks.

It's not really my favorite of the series. That one and The Hero are pretty bad.

Should just toss in that those are Co-authored with Ringo. "Watch on the Rhine" being co-authored with the abysmally bad Tom Kratman. From what I know of Baen's co-authoring methodology is that the Big Name author is stuck on the book just to sell it, without contributing much more than oversight. I avoid all the co-authored stuff entirely as it's usually horrible.
Edit: As an aside, right before he passed away, for some reason Jim Baen seemed to have a hard on for utterly wacked out right wing conservative writing. Combed a few of the weirder Baen forum members out to offer book contracts to. That's where Kratman came from. That and cheap rear end "Poser" using cover artists...

The Legacy books up to "Hell's Faire" are straight up Ringo, pre-rape fantasy weirdness and are pretty decent if you're just looking for quasi mindless "High tech shoot out" fun. He was still getting started as an author at that point and I find them worth the occasional read. Plus introducing the idea why it's bad to let rednecks play with antimatter.

I.E. if you like the scene in "Predator" where the squad panics and hoses the jungle with machinegun fire while yelling... you can probably be entertained by these books.

CaptainCrunch fucked around with this message at 22:44 on Nov 10, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

WarLocke posted:

His new Safehold series is pretty loving fantastic, even if it's probably not exactly 'space opera'. The first one read kind of weird, it came off as a weird alternate mashup of The Armageddon Inheritance and Heirs of Empire but once it got going he developed an entirely new universe, and it's become my favorite of his series, I think.

Yeah, straight up classic Weber style, pretty well polished. If a little wishfull thinking, I guess. But it's got all the style I liked from him before the HH series went down the weird politics rabbit hole.

Hopefully he ENDS this series.

WarLocke posted:

I guess I just have lovely taste in books. :ohdear:

We both do, it's ok. Not everyone can be a snob. ;)

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!

fritz posted:

The hard move right came well before his death, Baen was the one that published Newt Gingrich's alt-history.

uh.... huh. I did not know that. I may have to read that just for the cognitive dissonance.

On topic: I was moderately entertained by Elizabeth Moon's "Trading in Danger" series

Basically an officer candidate for her planetary space fleet gets kicked out, goes home to her wealthy family just as the family compound is attacked. Turns out that a wave of piracy is sweeping the galaxy and she uses her training and talent to organize a resistance fleet.

More complex than that, and I'm sure I'm forgetting some details. But I found it to be entertaining.

CaptainCrunch
Mar 19, 2006
droppin Hamiltons!
edit: Wrong thread, meant to be in the Science Fiction thread. Confirming my stupidity.

• Locked thread