Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Fluffy doesn't want to be sacrificed

Its basically the same as how he ends Fallen Dragon as well though. Find mystical space thingy, solve all the problems.

At least he got much better with the commonwealth series, and the void series.

Also, I really enjoyed absolution gap, but the ending was very much a cop out. But it did put a cap on the series, but puts it far in the future, so he can come back and write more novels.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

WarLocke posted:

Revelation Space, Redemption Ark, Absolution Gap are direct sequels. Chasm City takes place between RS and RA (IIRC) and involves a couple characters from the other books, but is mostly self-contained.

Errr Chasm City is set substantially before even Revelation Space, as the city still has physical domes, and the main character meets Khouri at the end of the book.

Absolution Gap has some pretty cool technology in it, the Temple Crawlers drags a bit, and the ending is something you need to have read his short stories to fully understand (Galactic North mostly).

The only niggle I have with the series is that the rules for the drives seems to change between Revelation Space and Redemption Ark. With the Nostalgia's drives able to ramp up to 8+G's in short bursts, but the drives in Redemption are not able to even burst above 1G. But its pretty minor. The other books in the universe add quite a bit of detail, and are enjoyable on their own (The Prefect, and the other stories in the Galactic North collection, Diamond Dogs is pretty weird though).

Wibbleman
Apr 19, 2006

Trig Discipline posted:

Yeah, Pushing Ice and House of Suns were the first things that came to my mind. There's also one of the Culture books that takes place inside of a hollow world and is pretty cool. Can't remember which one it is though.

I like how the star-dams are just made up of ring-worlds that someone or something left behind, and somehow there are enough of them to not have a shortage :)

• Locked thread