Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

Does anyone see any glaring omissions in the following taxonomy for a traditional D&D style game? Is there anything that you feel isn’t answered or that needs to be further explanined?

Goblins - Sapient monsters that have a pseudo society (camps, bands, leaders, the capacity for language) but which generate and propagate in dark, remote places. Ex: Goblin, Ogre, Troll [these are the various “green skin” races but I want them to grow spontaneously in dark places and adopt a pantomime of warlike culture. They’re magical manifestations that world, they’re probably an ancient curse of some kind.]

Your description and how it sounds like you're positioning them makes me think that all of these various species were created by biome spirits (like goblins were created in the deep woods by the forest spirit to protect itself from humans clear cutting. Trolls by the mountain spirit from strip mining dwarfs. etc..). Not sure if you were already intending that or what kind of world building you were/are doing but that's just how they read to me and actually make for a nice category distinction.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dameius posted:

Your description and how it sounds like you're positioning them makes me think that all of these various species were created by biome spirits (like goblins were created in the deep woods by the forest spirit to protect itself from humans clear cutting. Trolls by the mountain spirit from strip mining dwarfs. etc..). Not sure if you were already intending that or what kind of world building you were/are doing but that's just how they read to me and actually make for a nice category distinction.

*Furious scribbling behind DM screen, followed by a blank poker face with a single bead of sweat.*

That may well be, who can say.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Morrow posted:

It's my turn to DM in a few months and I'm trying to do an actual mystery: the Werewolf of Monte Cristo. The format is rather than having a long-running campaign we reset and do something different for the better part of a year, which lets us shuffle around schedules and rosters a little.

The idea is there's a cabal of powerful dudes (a wizard, a priest, a banker, a noble) who ruined some poor schmuck's life and had him shipped off to fantasy Australia as a prisoner, where he was turned into a werewolf and now like fifteen years later he's coming back to fantasy London as a superpowered serial killer. The players get roped in because they work for/are suspects in the murder of his first target and need to piece together the conspiracy so they can get ahead of the killer.

Is there a good guide to running a mystery online in D&D? As opposed to my usual format of "go to place, kill dude", or "choose which place to go to, kill dude, then go to other place" there's a lot more moving parts where things can go off the rails. I expect I need to really flesh out the social roster and keep track of which NPCs know what, like a social instead of geographic sandbox.

I think it's probably important to gauge if your players want to really do the deducing or do they like mystery as a vibe.

Golden Bee
Dec 24, 2009

I came here to chew bubblegum and quote 'They Live', and I'm... at an impasse.
The other downside of mysteries in DND is spells. The Pathfinder book of entry has a long section on how various spells can be subverted for the purposes of mysteries. If you’re running a game just to run a mystery, you can just tell the players those spells don’t exist in the world.

Dameius
Apr 3, 2006

Jack B Nimble posted:

*Furious scribbling behind DM screen, followed by a blank poker face with a single bead of sweat.*

That may well be, who can say.

Seeing as how you were so clever to come up with that idea, I bet I'm right in guessing that many of the fae in the world were brought into the material realm by these species as basically heros/champions/heavy artillery. For example Spriggans and Ents could be the summoned fae champions of the goblins initially and still are closely allied with them. But over the centuries of existing in the material realm, they have gained their own agency and agenda.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'll read through all those helpful resources.

Ive explicitly sounded out that they're interested in a more involved game. We are losing the most hack and slash player for this session. While she's gone I figure I might as well try a mystery.

Golden Bee posted:

The other downside of mysteries in DND is spells. The Pathfinder book of entry has a long section on how various spells can be subverted for the purposes of mysteries. If you’re running a game just to run a mystery, you can just tell the players those spells don’t exist in the world.

I'm probably going to curate a level range/class choices that precludes a lot of that. I'm vibing like a 4-8 range but need to check through spells available.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

Morrow posted:

I'll read through all those helpful resources.

Ive explicitly sounded out that they're interested in a more involved game. We are losing the most hack and slash player for this session. While she's gone I figure I might as well try a mystery.

I'm probably going to curate a level range/class choices that precludes a lot of that. I'm vibing like a 4-8 range but need to check through spells available.

The Pathfinder book Ultimate Intrigue has a handy writeup of what spells at what levels might affect investigations / spywork, organized by level. It starts on page 154. Obviously written for Pathfinder 1e but generally applicable to DnD settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Dameius posted:

Seeing as how you were so clever to come up with that idea, I bet I'm right in guessing that many of the fae in the world were brought into the material realm by these species as basically heros/champions/heavy artillery. For example Spriggans and Ents could be the summoned fae champions of the goblins initially and still are closely allied with them. But over the centuries of existing in the material realm, they have gained their own agency and agenda.

I was going to respond that I had my own ideas about where Fae exist in relationship to the game setting, that they're demons who long ago secured permanent purchase on the material world, giving up some of their power in exchange for a corporeal nature (and escaping the ephemera all demons are bound to, which essentially a kind of hell). However, I realized this sort of wrinkle is exactly what I should be layering into the game to give it depth, so thank you!