Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

even worse username posted:

I don't want to restart the big XP :argh: but I have a question for the GMs who award full XPs to characters with absent players - how is this rationalized in game, or do you bother? Are the characters assumed to have been present, and just in the background, or were they off doing their own thing that happened to net them the same amount of XP? In lots of games different players get different amounts of XP depending on their accomplishments, so how do you handle that for absent players? Do they just get an average award?

Depends on what's happening in the game at that point. I'll use my maptool game as an example since it's what I've been focused on lately. All of the PCs receive the same amount of experience points (as I mentioned in a previous post, I use shiny objects instead)
Early on, when one character missed a session it was right after the party defeated a kraken and shipwrecked. Easy enough to assume the PC in question ended up floating somewhere else from the rest of the party. He eventually caught up with them (next session).

Two sessions back, the party had just killed a fairly important enemy leader named Boldwin. This guy was responsible for some of the setting's biggest atrocities, and was also an important part of one PC's background. Boldwin killed the PC's wife and imprisoned the PC, leading the PC to swear revenge and hunt him down after escaping (mechanically resulting in the PC becoming an Avenger).
The session right after killing Boldwin, the PC's player couldn't make the game until fairly late in the session. I talked it over with the player and the in-game justification was that his PC now had his revenge, but it ultimately felt hollow and didn't bring the PC the closure he desired. So during the party's attempt to escape, they had to drag their party member along as he was too emotionally conflicted to contribute meaningfully to any encounters.
Once the player showed up, the character managed to shake it off long enough to assist everyone else in the escape. Same as always, full experience.

I don't really care about things being perfectly "realistic" as far as game mechanics go. I'm more concerned about making sure everybody's enjoying themselves, properly balancing encounters for tough but interesting fights and creating cool NPCs who talk and act like real people. Sperging over XP doesn't help me do any of that so I don't bother with it. Everyone gets the same amount, absent or otherwise, and if I feel like playing behavioral psychologist* I use things that don't directly affect the power curve.

*I often do, but that's because it was my secondary field during my studies

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

I'm a hermaphrodite and my parents (40K nerds) named me Slaanesh, THANKS MOM
Whats a good wage for a party of 5 to guard a traveling merchant to the next town over? 100gp a piece? 200gp? A 30% discount on weapons?

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

I don't want to restart the big XP :argh: but I have a question for the GMs who award full XPs to characters with absent players - how is this rationalized in game, or do you bother? Are the characters assumed to have been present, and just in the background, or were they off doing their own thing that happened to net them the same amount of XP? In lots of games different players get different amounts of XP depending on their accomplishments, so how do you handle that for absent players? Do they just get an average award?
We dont really take the narrative too seriously. I see XP as an abstraction so its something that can be handled out of game (welcome back john you got X XP when you were gone).

As for where the character went we just roll with it. it breaks immersion but its not worth laboring over an excuse to me if they'll just be back next week.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Whats a good wage for a party of 5 to guard a traveling merchant to the next town over? 100gp a piece? 200gp? A 30% discount on weapons?

Depends on their level, the distance to the town, danger of the trip, etc.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Check parcels for that level. hand it out as a reward.

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

RagnarokAngel posted:

Check parcels for that level. hand it out as a reward.

If it's fourth, this is an excellent idea.

If it's third, check the charts, calculate number andlevel of encounters, and make the value of the encounters the reward.

Why do people say third is an easier system?

newtestleper
Oct 30, 2003

lighttigersoul posted:

Why do people say third is an easier system?

I don't think I've heard anyone claim this, even the people that hate fourth!

lighttigersoul
Mar 5, 2009

Sailor Scout Enoutner 5:
Moon Healing Escalation

newtestleper posted:

If someone hadn't used it on me, I wouldn't believe it. Somehow it's 'simplified for dummies' but 'too difficult too learn'. Was the most bizarre debate I've ever participated in. . .

h_double
Jul 27, 2001
The guy who introduced 4E to me described it as "more complicated at first glance, but more streamlined once you get used to it" (and I think that's a pretty good assessment). It's a little bit like with computer interfaces, where "easy to learn" and "user friendly" are actually pretty different concepts.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Ok, so lemme get this right. Under the Parcels section, theres a list of 10 items or group of items under each level. So over the course of going from level 1 to level 2, they should get everything in the list?

code:
Party Level 1 Total Monetary Treasure: 720 gp
1 Magic item, level 5
2 Magic item, level 4
3 Magic item, level 3
4 Magic item, level 2
5 200 gp, or two 100 gp gems,
  or two potions of healing +
  100 gp
6 180 gp, or one 100 gp gem +
  80 gp, or one potion of healing
  + 130 gp
7 120 gp, or one 100 gp gem +
  20 gp, or one potion of healing
  + 70 gp
8 120 gp, or 100 gp + 200 sp,
  or one 100 gp gem + 200 sp
9 60 gp, or one potion of healing
  + 10 gp, or 50 gp + 100 sp
10 40 gp, or 400 sp, or 30 gp +
  100 sp
If so, boy have I been stingy :shobon:

Actually, upon adding up all the treasure they've found and will find so far, all I'm missing is a level 2 magic weapon and a level 4 magic weapon.

Super Waffle fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Jul 28, 2009

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

newtestleper posted:

There's this guy (turn your speakers down for the first few seconds, he starts off with a loud, obnoxious noise), who claims that 4e isn't for people who aren't willing to dedicate their lives to learning how to play it. He never tries to explain it why, though.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Ok, so lemme get this right. Under the Parcels section, theres a list of 10 items or group of items under each level. So over the course of going from level 1 to level 2, they should get everything in the list?

code:
Party Level 1 Total Monetary Treasure: 720 gp
1 Magic item, level 5
2 Magic item, level 4
3 Magic item, level 3
4 Magic item, level 2
5 200 gp, or two 100 gp gems,
  or two potions of healing +
  100 gp
6 180 gp, or one 100 gp gem +
  80 gp, or one potion of healing
  + 130 gp
7 120 gp, or one 100 gp gem +
  20 gp, or one potion of healing
  + 70 gp
8 120 gp, or 100 gp + 200 sp,
  or one 100 gp gem + 200 sp
9 60 gp, or one potion of healing
  + 10 gp, or 50 gp + 100 sp
10 40 gp, or 400 sp, or 30 gp +
  100 sp
If so, boy have I been stingy :shobon:

Actually, upon adding up all the treasure they've found and will find so far, all I'm missing is a level 2 magic weapon and a level 4 magic weapon.

That's exactly how it works. It's assumed you'll take about 10 fights to get a level so one parcel per fight.
But at the same time dont follow it so rigidly. If the group fights a bunch of firebats they are not likely to have money or items on them, being non sentient beings, so just move the parcel you WOULD have given to be a quest reward, or hand out 2 parcels for another fight. Its what I do because in my game all fights are worth double XP to speed up the process (We dont get to meet as much as we'd like so to compensate we just double the rate)

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's exactly how it works. It's assumed you'll take about 10 fights to get a level so one parcel per fight.
But at the same time dont follow it so rigidly. If the group fights a bunch of firebats they are not likely to have money or items on them, being non sentient beings, so just move the parcel you WOULD have given to be a quest reward, or hand out 2 parcels for another fight. Its what I do because in my game all fights are worth double XP to speed up the process (We dont get to meet as much as we'd like so to compensate we just double the rate)

Space marines aren't exactly known for their intelligence, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that firebats were non-sentient beings.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Thanks for the loot help, I'm starting to get a good grasp of how to build encounters. Now for another situation I want my group to be put in. They're walking through town late at night. If they make a DC 20 Perception check, they notice the spy thats been following them all night, sticking to the shadows and alley ways. When the spy realizes hes been caught, he tries to run. I'll tell the party they have enough time to for a single Standard action to try and stop the spy before he disappears. Does this sound ok?

Nog
May 15, 2006

Yes, unless one of your players does something to radically change the situation so as to make the spy's escape extremely unlikely, it sounds fine. Running battles can be a pain and are obnoxious to deal with on a battle map, so it's often times easier to just sort of hand-wave it.

At the same time though, doing the "he escapes after one action" thing sort of sacrifices a chance for a good skill challenge. I imagine it'd be fun to have skill challenge (Athletics, Streetwise, etc.) that involves the players basically chasing someone through city streets. If you want the spy to escape, but don't necessarily mind if they catch him, just make the challenge real difficult.

Etherwind
Apr 22, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 107 days!
Soiled Meat

ripped0ff posted:

Yes, unless one of your players does something to radically change the situation so as to make the spy's escape extremely unlikely (in which case you should dock them XP for trying to derail your game), it sounds fine. Running battles can be a pain and are obnoxious to deal with on a battle map, so it's often times easier to just sort of hand-wave it (but don't award them XP because they haven't earned it the hard way).

Crudus
Nov 14, 2006

Etherwind posted:

Dude, get over it. It really wasn't even your argument.

Nog
May 15, 2006

That's it Ether. Quick, find a bandwagon to jump on. People will start thinking you're cool any minute now.

Mikan
Sep 5, 2007

by Radium

ripped0ff posted:

That's it Ether. Quick, find a bandwagon to jump on. People will start thinking you're cool any minute now.

I am willing to let people borrow my considerable amount of cred for a price

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.

ripped0ff posted:

The best part is that he's always like half a page too late.

Relentless
Sep 22, 2007

It's a perfect day for some mayhem!

Half a page late crew checking in!

My group runs on the "Everyone vaguely associated with the party all levels up at the same time" theory. Especially in 4e when a level is a huge difference, particularly early.

My work is a pain in the rear end, I missed 3 sessions in a row a couple months back. I would have been a level and a half behind the party. When you're doing a 4e conversion of Red Hand Of Doom, that means you're basically dead weight. If my DM was going to pull that poo poo, I would have just not played anymore. I have better things to do with my rare days off then blow them hindering my friends game and dealing with a twat DM.

4e DMG even promotes it. The bard convincing a dragon to gently caress off is worth the same amount of experience as beating it's head into the ground. Hell, locking a gnoll in a closet is worth the same XP as actually fighting it. XP represents your character's ability to handle a situation.

For fun/ease/bookkeeping purposes, we treat it as our party's ability to handle a situation.

And, seriously, character levelup should be done before/after a session. If you technically level up right before the big boss fight... gently caress that. You fight him, THEN you get your reward. It's hard enough keeping a bunch of geeks focused as it is, giving them an excuse to break out the laptops and books is basically killing your session.

TL;DR

Use XP as part of the flow of your game as a DM, not as anything relating to the players or their personal lives.

Giant Tourtiere
Aug 4, 2006

TRICHER
POUR
GAGNER
Gotcha, but what I was really interested in at this point was how your GM handles in in-game rationalization of this kind of thing, if it's something you worry about. If you're not there, is your character tagging along in the background, or off on a side mission, or what? I'm not asking because I think it's a problem necessarily, I'm just interested. I can see 'Well, Fighter Bob just isn't here at the moment' being easy if you're in town or something, but if you're halfway through a dungeon it's a bit trickier to justify a character not being there for a while. Unless you just go 'Ahhh, whatever'.

Thinking about this now, I remember one session from AD&D long, long ago (I was not the GM) when the guy playing our cleric couldn't make it one short notice. We went ahead and played, and the GM ruled that the cleric had had to observe some kind of religious festival and was therefore absolutely loaded - most of the time all he could do was weave along behind the party trying to keep up. On the other hand if you grabbed his attention he could do some healing or turn undead, but that was about it. Worked ok, as I recall. I can't recall how the XP issue worked there because it wasn't my character so I didn't particularly care.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Honestly, given the arbitrary nature of XP, I don't really think you particularly need to justify it. Unless the player has been missing so long that their character gained like 3 levels, I think you could just chalk up a few thousand XP or a level to "he was always about that powerful". I mean, as far as the characters are concerned, they don't know about levels. All the characters know is that one day Mike decides to try a new trick in combat and what do you know, it works!

Otherwise though, it seemed as though many of the full-XP crowd were saying to just have someone else play the character while that player was missing. It all still seems pretty silly to me, but eh, it isn't that tough to resolve character-wise.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

ripped0ff posted:

At the same time though, doing the "he escapes after one action" thing sort of sacrifices a chance for a good skill challenge. I imagine it'd be fun to have skill challenge (Athletics, Streetwise, etc.) that involves the players basically chasing someone through city streets. If you want the spy to escape, but don't necessarily mind if they catch him, just make the challenge real difficult.

Yeah, this is what I'd consider doing. You could always define some level of success as "the spy gets away, but you're able to follow him to a hideout / he drops something important and is forced to escape without it / you get close enough to glimpse a clue to his identity". Then you can tune the encounter to make catching the spy improbable without setting your players up to fail.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Well the way I have it set up so far is, if the party fails to notice or catch the spy, they get ambushed when they leave town the following day. If they hit the spy with an attack, he dies in one hit (I'm stating him up as a lvl 2 human minion). If they catch him, I'll give them an easy Skill Challenge to see what he knows (All of my group is new, this will be our second session).

I'm thinking 4 success before 2 failures at DC 15. First is an Athletics check to pin him against a wall. If they fail, they make an Acrobatics check to catch him again as he slips away. If they make either, its a diplomacy check, an intimidate check, and a bluff check in whatever order they choose. If the party passes the check, they find out the spy was hired anonymously to find out what the Mcguffin item they're hired to protect is (the party doesn't know). He knows nothing else, and then the party can kill him/turn him into the guards. With the spy gone, they don't get ambushed until after the reach the Inn a days walk away (the Innkeeper hired the spy, hes in league with some bandits who want the Mcguffin).

Everything sound ok?

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I personally don't like this, because what it boils down to is you are rolling a hidden die to see if the players get ambushed.

Edit: Let me clarify. What I mean to say is that if your party sees the spy, they will 99.9% pursue and kill him/win the skill challenge. So what it comes down to is a roll of the dice to see if they notice the spy...or if they get ambushed. I just personally don't like one-die roll stuff like this.

Megaman's Jockstrap fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 29, 2009

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

Well they're getting ambushed anyways, whether or not they find the spy just decides when and where. Am I being a railroady DM? :ohdear:

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Super Waffle posted:

Well they're getting ambushed anyways, whether or not they find the spy just decides when and where. Am I being a railroady DM? :ohdear:

Naw, its standard procedure. Just do a passive perception check before to see if they see it coming.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

This isn't railroading, this is providing a hook.

The one thing I'd suggest is to play with the idea of being flexible when it comes to what skills are used in skill challenges -- if the player can justify the use of a skill, let him use that. The better the description of what he wants to do, the easier the check. Done right, the players get to be more creative and feel more in control, even if they end up doing what you expected them to.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
If they are getting ambushed anyway, then they should see the spy without a perception check.

I just don't like branch points in adventures that are determined by die-rolling and not the PCs. You aren't railroading them but you are turning over the adventure structure to the dice a little.

FirstCongoWar
Aug 21, 2002

It feels so 80's or early 90's to be political.
If the adventure calls for them to be ambushed, but you still want to give some benefit to some PC dice rolling, one of the things I always like to consider is letting the PCs turn the ambush situation to their advantage if they do well on some skill checks. If they see the spy, they're prepared for combat and not caught totally flatfooted, or they can lead the ambushers into a trap of their own, that sort of thing.

And no, it's not really being a railroady GM. Being railroady refers more to "there is one plot for this game, I can't improvise, you're doing this or we're not playing" sort of stuff, IMO.

Nog
May 15, 2006

Yea, what you're doing is hardly railroady, but it does sacrifice some of your creative control over the adventure. Don't worry about the roll, just have them spot the spy automatically. I wouldn't give it away right off the bat that they're being spied on, it'll probably be more interesting for them if they're forced to decide what to do.

*rolls some dice for effect* "Walking through the market, you begin to get the distinct feeling that you're being watched."

*the players come up with something clever (or even not-so-clever) to spot their tail*

"Looking into the polished surface of your shield, you catch a brief glimpse of a robed figure watching from behind. Your eyes meet in the reflection, and he turns to run."

Now, they're still doing essentially what you want them to do, but they've done so on their own and without some arbitrary dice roll deciding their fate. Let dice control combat and skill challenges, but it should be you and the players who control the story.

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.
I'm going to give some unsolicited advice, because that is how I role.

I'm currently running ClockWorkJoe's (a.k.a. Ross Payton of Role Playing Public Radio podcast) New World setting. By far, the best setting I have had the privilege to run or play in. As an added bonus, its also free!

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/RPPR_New_World_Primer.pdf

A quick synopsis would be a new continent has been found, and you are on the first boat over there. My players like it because even at lower levels, they can have a huge effect on the world, and can greatly effect the growing colony. There are tons of great NPCs to interact with, lots of good plot hooks, and adventures to satisfy the hack and slashy, the roleplay nerds, and the kingdom building whatevers. Really a quality piece of work.

Super Waffle
Sep 25, 2007

ripped0ff posted:

Yea, what you're doing is hardly railroady, but it does sacrifice some of your creative control over the adventure. Don't worry about the roll, just have them spot the spy automatically. I wouldn't give it away right off the bat that they're being spied on, it'll probably be more interesting for them if they're forced to decide what to do.

*rolls some dice for effect* "Walking through the market, you begin to get the distinct feeling that you're being watched."

*the players come up with something clever (or even not-so-clever) to spot their tail*

"Looking into the polished surface of your shield, you catch a brief glimpse of a robed figure watching from behind. Your eyes meet in the reflection, and he turns to run."

Now, they're still doing essentially what you want them to do, but they've done so on their own and without some arbitrary dice roll deciding their fate. Let dice control combat and skill challenges, but it should be you and the players who control the story.

This is a much better idea, thanks :buddy:

Fidel Cuckstro
Jul 2, 2007

Ulta posted:

I'm going to give some unsolicited advice, because that is how I role.

I'm currently running ClockWorkJoe's (a.k.a. Ross Payton of Role Playing Public Radio podcast) New World setting. By far, the best setting I have had the privilege to run or play in. As an added bonus, its also free!

http://slangdesign.com/rppr/RPPR_New_World_Primer.pdf

A quick synopsis would be a new continent has been found, and you are on the first boat over there. My players like it because even at lower levels, they can have a huge effect on the world, and can greatly effect the growing colony. There are tons of great NPCs to interact with, lots of good plot hooks, and adventures to satisfy the hack and slashy, the roleplay nerds, and the kingdom building whatevers. Really a quality piece of work.

I really loved the setting as well. I'm pretty sure Clockwork Joe mentioned it somewhere, but they're doing another ransom for the second part of the setting. I think they're at ~70% of the ransom reached. If you liked the primer, it might be worth chipping in for the next installment...

Annakie
Apr 20, 2005

"It's pretty bad, isn't it? I know it's pretty bad. Ever since I can remember..."
Question about the final fight in Rescue at Rivenroar, spoilered in case some people are playing through it right now.

There are 5 minion skeletons in the room. Every round, all the skeletons that were defeated in the previous round reform and come back to (un)life. Do I give experience for all 5 only once, or do I give experience for each time one is killed? The module is unclear about it.

I need to somehow give the party 800 more experience even after adding in a young green dragon fight on the way back to Brindol and counting their major & minor quest awards so they can get to level 3 before heading to the next module. Giving them loads of minion-killing XP there would help get them there without me upping the experience difficulty of the earlier fights even more, I've already balanced them out for our party of 6.

cbirdsong
Sep 8, 2004

Commodore of the Apocalypso
Lipstick Apathy

Annakie posted:

There are 5 minion skeletons in the room. Every round, all the skeletons that were defeated in the previous round reform and come back to (un)life. Do I give experience for all 5 only once, or do I give experience for each time one is killed? The module is unclear about it.

I need to somehow give the party 800 more experience even after adding in a young green dragon fight on the way back to Brindol and counting their major & minor quest awards so they can get to level 3 before heading to the next module. Giving them loads of minion-killing XP there would help get them there without me upping the experience difficulty of the earlier fights even more, I've already balanced them out for our party of 6.

There is a similar scenario in Keep at the Shadowfell. The players enter a hallway with about 10 sarcophagi lining the walls, and after they pass a certain point, the sarcophagi open and skeletons start coming out. I actually tweaked the encounter so that there were way more minion skeletons respawning each turn, but then adjusted their hit bonus so that they missed a bit more to balance it out. My players' reactions to the giant horde of undead that endlessly respawned were quite entertaining, and it really forced them to strategize and consider movement and character placement more than any previous encounter.

Anyway, to answer your question, it said to give experience for each one, and you could easily tweak it so that there are way more minions there if you want them to get more experience.

Lugubrious
Jul 2, 2004

Spoilered just in case!

Whether or not I'd give experience for each one depends on how they react. If they're actively trying to figure out how to stop them from rising (strategizing about killing whoever's raising them, trying to disable a magical glyph, dunno what it is since I'm unfamiliar with the module), I'd probably give them extra experience. If they try and just farm them for round after round (especially if they try and incapacitate whatever NPC is raising them just to keep killing them), then gently caress no they aren't getting experience.

Of course you could also lie and just say "hooray you magically have just enough experience to level up"

Joudas
Sep 29, 2005

Now here's a kid who's whole world got all twisted,
leaving him stranded on a rock in the sky...

Gotcha, but what I was really interested in at this point was how your GM handles in in-game rationalization of this kind of thing

First off I would need an in-game rationalization to explain away "Levels" and "experience points" and all that poo poo first, before it would bother me that I don't have an in-game rationalization for why all of the players are the same level at the same time, always.

Luckily, I don't need any of that, because I don't need any of the poo poo that comes along with trying to like "punish" my friends for having to do things other than roll dice and drink beers. Which I'm sure they'd rather be doing than an awkward family dinner, or work.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulta
Oct 3, 2006

Snail on my head ready to go.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

I really loved the setting as well. I'm pretty sure Clockwork Joe mentioned it somewhere, but they're doing another ransom for the second part of the setting. I think they're at ~70% of the ransom reached. If you liked the primer, it might be worth chipping in for the next installment...

It's a sourcebook for a goblin ship that shows up at the colony, basically a giant townsized hobbled together massive hulk held together by luck and goblin shaman magic, plus other stuff. I have given my share of the ransom, and hope it gets enough.

Just to tie this to GMing, what do you guys think is the "best" setting?

Also I'm looking for a good setting/system for a space opera setting