Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

LurchinTard posted:

running a miami vice/80s crime campaign in GURPs soon for 4 people. What i'm needing to know is how do I run mysteries? the introduction mission is just "go after a lead on drug manufacture, arrest associate, get lead and tip from the arrest in exchange for being let off easy, lead a raid on a warehouse(introductory to combat) and make some arrests." but I'm trying to make it more complex than that. I don't wanna rip straight off from the show, does anyone have any good reading or links about running mysteries?

I think one of the big things to get at is trying to gauge how much your players are interested in truly doing mysteries- some people are down for really trying to search out and put clues together, and some people are more interested in investigation as a vehicle to do adventurey things rather than being able to go on red herrings and get things dreadfully wrong.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"
I think it's fine to have players spit the party for tactical reasons- or for small scale downtime things, but for example, anything big, i want everyone together for. I actually think there's a lot of potential in situations where the party's split up, but not for more than a little bit.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Pollyanna posted:

Would it be too much to ask any groups I play with to use this rule? As a GM, I worry about overreaching if I house rule it, and as a PC, I worry about fitting in and being a team player if I ask. And if I do use this as a GM, how do I ensure that each player gets their say and a satisfying amount of in-game focus?

No, i think it's entirely reasonable- it's also a good way to make sure everyone's involved in the game. It's a method traditionally used for larger tables but having someone prompt each player for their actions and it not necessarily being the GM does a good job of getting the more passively inclined players feeling like they can contribute without making a weird cacophony.

Panzeh
Nov 27, 2006

"..The high ground"

Morrow posted:

It's my turn to DM in a few months and I'm trying to do an actual mystery: the Werewolf of Monte Cristo. The format is rather than having a long-running campaign we reset and do something different for the better part of a year, which lets us shuffle around schedules and rosters a little.

The idea is there's a cabal of powerful dudes (a wizard, a priest, a banker, a noble) who ruined some poor schmuck's life and had him shipped off to fantasy Australia as a prisoner, where he was turned into a werewolf and now like fifteen years later he's coming back to fantasy London as a superpowered serial killer. The players get roped in because they work for/are suspects in the murder of his first target and need to piece together the conspiracy so they can get ahead of the killer.

Is there a good guide to running a mystery online in D&D? As opposed to my usual format of "go to place, kill dude", or "choose which place to go to, kill dude, then go to other place" there's a lot more moving parts where things can go off the rails. I expect I need to really flesh out the social roster and keep track of which NPCs know what, like a social instead of geographic sandbox.

I think it's probably important to gauge if your players want to really do the deducing or do they like mystery as a vibe.