Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD
Dragons have bigass treasure hordes. It's kind of their thing. A dragon that the party needs major assistance to defeat is also going to have a pile of treasure that is entirely inappropriate for the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Presumably you show up to games because, you know, it's fun to play in them, not for the XP and loot. From that perspective, it sucks enough to miss out on something fun that docking that person's share of the XP and loot just seems like a dick move, for both the absentee and the rest of the party.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

"New players start at 0xp regardless of the rest of the party's level" seems like needless grognardism to me. You're basically saying that the only way anyone in the universe who might join the party could possibly have advanced in skill level is by adventuring with the party, which is patently ridiculous. You might be able to get a wide disparity in player levels to work in some games, but there are a bunch of games where the players who are behind aren't going to have any fun because they can't contribute; the players who are ahead aren't going to have any fun dragging a bunch of scrubs around; and the GM isn't going to have any fun because it's impossible to plan encounters. I'm not disputing that it can, on occasion, be interesting and fun, but as a hard and fast rule it can also be problematic.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

RagnarokAngel posted:

That's exactly how it works. It's assumed you'll take about 10 fights to get a level so one parcel per fight.
But at the same time dont follow it so rigidly. If the group fights a bunch of firebats they are not likely to have money or items on them, being non sentient beings, so just move the parcel you WOULD have given to be a quest reward, or hand out 2 parcels for another fight. Its what I do because in my game all fights are worth double XP to speed up the process (We dont get to meet as much as we'd like so to compensate we just double the rate)

Space marines aren't exactly known for their intelligence, but I wouldn't go so far as to say that firebats were non-sentient beings.