Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dinosmasher
Apr 11, 2007
Pseudo Apex-Predator

The Capm posted:

I'm GMing a Call of Cthulhu game for a relatively small group. The appeal of CoC to the group is how grounded it can be, ie that you play with relatively average normal characters. When a relatively normal character sees some sort of far out, paranormal horror show, they tend to contact the police or the authorities. What's a good way to deal with that?

As far as I can tell you have two options. There's the "Pfft, you're crazy" way and there's the Cover up Men in Black type of way. Both ways get sort of old. I've been relying mostly on the 2nd because the characters have been mostly savvy about using terms like creature or animal rather than specifics that might raise suspicions. When the authorities check out the story, then what? I can have them find nothing but I can't do that all the time.

How do you suggest I handle this situation?

The oldest trick in the book would be the Haunted House scenario. Put them in a location from which there is no easy escape, entry, or means of communication - a cruise ship, a secluded cabin, an antarctic research station, etc. It's been working for horror movies for about a century now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU