Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

newtestleper posted:

I don't think I've heard anyone claim this, even the people that hate fourth!

There's this guy (turn your speakers down for the first few seconds, he starts off with a loud, obnoxious noise), who claims that 4e isn't for people who aren't willing to dedicate their lives to learning how to play it. He never tries to explain it why, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

EB: i'm in a rocket pack and i am about to blast off into space. it should be sweet.

ripped0ff posted:

At the same time though, doing the "he escapes after one action" thing sort of sacrifices a chance for a good skill challenge. I imagine it'd be fun to have skill challenge (Athletics, Streetwise, etc.) that involves the players basically chasing someone through city streets. If you want the spy to escape, but don't necessarily mind if they catch him, just make the challenge real difficult.

Yeah, this is what I'd consider doing. You could always define some level of success as "the spy gets away, but you're able to follow him to a hideout / he drops something important and is forced to escape without it / you get close enough to glimpse a clue to his identity". Then you can tune the encounter to make catching the spy improbable without setting your players up to fail.

opaopa13
Jul 25, 2007

Super Waffle posted:

Well they're getting ambushed anyways, whether or not they find the spy just decides when and where. Am I being a railroady DM? :ohdear:

This isn't railroading, this is providing a hook.

The one thing I'd suggest is to play with the idea of being flexible when it comes to what skills are used in skill challenges -- if the player can justify the use of a skill, let him use that. The better the description of what he wants to do, the easier the check. Done right, the players get to be more creative and feel more in control, even if they end up doing what you expected them to.