Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
So I'm looking for some GM advice:

Just started a new 4E campaign, with the PCs as escaped gladiatorial slaves. They're going to shortly make their way to a small town founded by other escapees, which is dedicated to freeing other slaves. The main overall campaign goal will be to go back to the city that enslaved them and to liberate it/depose the tyrant ruler.

Since the town is small and the PCs are only 5, they'll obviously need allies to wage such a war. The bulk of the campaign will be going to other regions to recruit allies. Is it too railroad-y to limit the information given to them about where prospective allies are found? For example, I would rather they go to the desert to recruit nomad horsemen so that I can throw a cool-rear end brown dragon fight at them earlier rather than later. On the other hand, I'd rather they not go to the swamplands until level 10 or so.

What do you think? As the PCs don't know the region that well, they'll be looking to an NPC for ideas on where to find allies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect

Fenarisk posted:

That is extremely rail-roady. Understand the players may have fun but the tone and plan you have of giving info out a little at a time to put them where you want is by definition a railroad. For 4e that's needed a little and in small doses pertaining to story it's fine, but an entire campaign based on the premise may put off some of the better players who are used to more experienced DM's with a knack for not doing railroaded campaigns.

That being said, if they are new players to 4e or new to RPG's in general then you'll need to have a bit firmer and concrete plans for a slight railroad to help them learn the ropes, options, etc.

Does it matter if I give them 3 out of 6 options, rather than 1 out of 2? I meant to communicate that fact.

Also, they are all new to 4E, and I have one brand-new roleplayer as well. Mainly, I can't really think of a lot of other things for them to do, but hopefully they'll think of some things for me. Really the only other idea I had was having them infiltrate one of the main villain's strongholds in an intelligence-gathering mission. Again though, if they don't think of that, I'll have to tell them to do that.

I feel like if I don't give them impetus to some degree, they won't end up doing much, but I don't want to always have to tell them where to go/what to do.

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

*Pat voice* Perfect

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

The problem I see with this idea is that the players are going to trade their weapons in for something better pretty early in the campaign unless you somehow "level up" their weapons for them.

Even then, they sill might get rid of them. You never know.

FYI there are rules for this in Adventurer's Vault.