Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008
I hope I can change my title later on...

projecthalaxy posted:

I have a necromancer's castle. It is currently filled with variants of zombie and skeleton, along with a room of rats and beetles. What else should I put in?

Literally everything from Open Grave including horde of zombies which is a skill challenge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008

RagnarokAngel posted:

Can you use bluff to move through the hoarde like Shaun of the Dead?

Depends how cool your DM is.

Epicurus
Jan 18, 2008

Don't do Option 2 that is worse than Hitler.

My suggestion: Take option 1, where they can use it after repairing it. While it's being repaired, hit them with a normal adventure. After that, have an adventure where they use the super mech to amazing effect and really blow away the enemies (including beefing up the enemies SLIGHTLY to make them glad they had a mech along - one or two enemy tanks, helicopters, etc. for it to blow up that would normally be big trouble without a mech).

Then the adventure after that, have the enemy decide that they need to increase their efforts to gently caress over the party since they stole this big mech, and have the mech be developing more and more problems as per solution 3. Ideally, you want a big climactic battle in which the enemy unveils some incredible weapon meant to overwhelm the mech, like a battleship or giant tank or whatever.

Then in this battle, seed the situation with many many opportunities for the mech to go out in a blaze of glory to accomplish some huge goal - give chances for a Kamikaze run into the enemy's base/battleship/megatank/supermech or whatever, so that the players will hopefully decide to destroy it of their own will in exchange for a huge victory.

Otherwise, the battle should be full of countermeasures deployed by the enemy so that after the mech is initially successful in fighting them, it starts running into traps like Anti-mech cannons and mines, etc. - 'cowardly' weapons that slowly wear down its mobility etc. and encourage the players to use it to make a 'last stand' where it will probably be destroyed but will gain them a big edge.

Even if they decide not to expend the mech in a suicide attack in this giant battle, ideally it will be so battered from the combat that now it needs major repairs again and you have another regular mission ahead and you can try again later - or have it be beyond repair, or require them to find extraordinary faclites/experts to repair it.

Essentially the point is this: They captured this great toy, now you need to give them one full adventure to bask in its power as a reward. After that, scale up the threats to match its power so that it can have a meaningful and epic 'destiny' as it dies, or, if not, it is out of comission for a time (and so are the enemies after spending so much on anti-mech operations).

Do not snatch away their success; let them enjoy it for a while, and then scale up the threats. Them capturing this powerful mech is a big deal, and so the story needs to accommodate that fact, not vice-versa.