Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

Rutibex posted:

So last week I ran Throne of Bloodstone as a joke and my players managed to kill Orcus and steal his wand. This week I am starting a new campaign at level 1 so the obvious choice is to run a Planescape game and do The Great Modron March followed up by Dead Gods so I can tie the stories togeather. Has anyone ever run these scenarios before? It seems like enough material to take the party from first to 12th level or so (where I usually end a campaign). I don't want to be too much of a railroad, and I'd also like to weave in some adventures from Tales of the Infinite Staircase.

Any advise about running a Planescape campaign from 1st level? Or these scenarios in particular? My last campaign was a wilderness hex crawl so I don't want it to feel too much like the players can't explore. But I also can't just let them go anywhere in the multiverse ya know? :v:

I've never played a planescape campaign, but I feel like it'd be a while before the players would actually get a choice about where they're going. It'd be an interesting sort of power gain over the course of the campaign where they are sorta being shuttled around the planes by chance, but with the chance to move around the individual planes, then get the tools to go to a subset of destinations within certain planes as they wish, then get the ability to go mostly anywhere by the time the campaign is reaching the climax.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Magic hole with upflowing current. But no matter what you carry, it doesn't seem to affect how much you sink.

It's because it's the weight of your sins that matter. That's right, only evil folk allowed.

Alternatively, only the weight of sins for a particular god who has weird hangups about, like, mixed fabrics and eating turnips.

Edit: Okay I am definitely using this in my next adventure.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

Create full character sheets and backstories for every combatant and roll initiative for each of them and follow every action they make, resolve the battle with complete precision.

Memories of playing the original Fallout, pissing off an entire town, and watching for 10 minutes as each and every townsperson took their action.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Make the religious relic some kind of holy gourd-shaped thing. Then partway through the adventure when he attempts to bind it to his will, instead it develops a grinning face and latches itself to him, replacing his head with a fiery grin.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

A trio of skeleton minions that toss the head (which must be destroyed) around, a lair action that revives the skeletons if one has been destroyed, and they just ready actions to toss it between each of them if approached, while the sorcerer's headless body is chucking spells.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Have audio playing, completely imperceptibly, getting slightly louder each turn, wait to see how long it takes before players realize it's playing "Spooky Scary Skeletons"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Oldsrocket_27 posted:

I know someone doing exactly this, except the whole thing is set in a pocket dimension and the players must eventually start rolling to maintain sanity and keep from attacking each other as they try to solve the puzzle of how to escape. The music they finally settled on for the session is the Thomas the Tank Engine theme song.

I think I, the player, would need to start checking my sanity before attacking other players and then the DM, given enough time with that.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Here's how I remeber the difference between port and starboard:

Port has fewer letters than starboard.
Left has fewer letters than right.

This is my cumulative knowledge about boats.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Jack B Nimble posted:

Ok but there's over a hundred entries there. Arent some of these more important than others?

From reading articles / my own memory theres:

The elemental planes

The Astral Plane

The ...far reaches? The beyond the beyond that Beholders come from

The abyss (not the same as hell)

Hell (not the same as the abyss)

Heaven?

FeyWild
FeyDark

Edit: Ok, I'll check out those links, I'd like to find roughly twenty but I'd also like to connect them to broader forces or factions within my game, so I'll see what I can see.

There's this chart:

The more 'relevant' ones are the things in the center around the prime material. Past that, it's a grab bag of stuff - you could probably pick the ones on the axes, ie elysium (good), hades (evil), mechanus (law), and limbo (chaos).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Agrikk posted:

Pointcrawl.

What an amazing concept! One of the end bosses in my current campaign will be to fight not-Miska the Wolf Spider to recover a McGuffin and I was feeling intimidated about mapping out a fortress carved out of pure chaos.

But instead creating a smash of “interesting places” and connecting them via interesting routes is so much easier and much more liberating in terms of gameplay.

Fortress crawls suck so bad. Pathfinder is egregious for making castles that are just a hundred rooms, mostly empty, connected by hallways, also mostly empty. I remember the pacing of Kingmaker being dragged to a crawl every time we had to enter a caatle. A point crawl dungeon is far more interesting.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Also, have him introduced gradually to the party, first by them hearing about deeds he has done, then the deeds start to target the party themselves, then they actually catch a fleeting glimpse of him (perhaps amongst a bunch of his victims or something) before finally they confront him, either on his terms or their's. Having their first actual interaction with him involving the death of another stronger character is also really good.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

"It should only take one...maaaybe two sessions to complete this one-shot"

- me, lying to myself every time

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Bad Munki posted:

End of first session, which was 6 hours long:

"All right, so I think at this point, we'll be just about ready to start the actual game next time."

I'm in a campaign that's been going mostly weekly since September.

We're nearly done the what the DM has been calling the Prologue.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Do you guys have any suggestions for when a player is getting frustrated due to rolls that just aren't going their way?

The player is me. In the last couple sessions with my group I've rolled probably a d20 three dozen times, if not more (two attacks + bonus action attack plus reactions) and have got a number above 8 maybe six or seven times. I mean, I know there's the whole 'haha these dice are cursed' but it's genuinely becoming an issue when my entire turn is

*rolls three dice*
"Nothing near what I need, and that's my turn"

I ask because as a DM I wouldn't know how to solve this aside from inventing methods to give advantage, and even then it only helps so much when even with advantage nothing comes from the dice.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

I once had a puzzle involving a 6x6 grid of buttons on the wall with symbols, some relating to gods, some to magic, some that were meaningless. The players could get information from books about a path through the symbols to find the right one, investigate them using checks to determine the correct one (I think it was a temple they were in? This was a long time ago), disabling them with tools, some other stuff too. Wrong buttons would activate traps, summon monsters, etc. Enough buttons that you really don't want to press things wildly.

One player goes "What's on the third row, fifth column?", pulling numbers out of the air. I describe it, and ask them if they want to do a check. They look, realize their skills are poo poo, and shrug then say "Nah I'll just push it."

It's the correct button.

I don't do complex puzzles anymore.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

trapstar posted:

Figured I'd post this here as a GM resource but I got the human form and demon form of a succubus commissioned. In case any of you need succubus art in both those forms.

Who's the artist for these? I quite like that style

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

If they roll really well, just have some list of things in mind that are small rewards for stuff like that, a healing potion, small bag of coins, whatever. Or just nothing, that's also fine, tell them despite their best efforts they just find some dust bunnies or monster leavings.

There's the school of thought that you only roll if there's a consequence for failure (such as not finding anything), but unless you're pressed for time as players, rolling is fun and gives opportunities to critically fail and stub your toe or make noise to alert monsters or something - so if they want to do that, then they can. But that's just how me and my players roll (heh).

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Drone posted:

I'm putting together a concept for an open table hexcrawl that I'll almost certainly never have the time to actually run ( :negative: ), but it's a fun little downtime exercise anyway. Thing is, I'm pretty sure my core conceit is problematic and I'd really like that to not be the case.

Being a hexcrawl, it's a setting of frontier exploration. I'm thinking the only settlement is a coastal outpost with a kind of martial feel to it (adventurers being shipped in to do their thing in a new land, thus providing a steady supply of new PCs), taking some strong thematic inspiration from the hub area in Monster Hunter World. The problem should become immediately apparent: I want to avoid colonialist narratives, and divorcing this concept from colonialism is proving more difficult in my mind than I thought.

The Monster Hunter analogy would probably be best as it's a setting where the land is, well, just filled with monsters. But I would like for there to be something *more* out there -- ruins of an ancient and mysteriously fallen situation seem fine, but I can't figure out where/if native populations should/could be included in a non-problematic way. On the flip side, just handwaving the relationship between the adventuring outpost from another continent and the natives as being benevolent, cooperative, and respectful seems like it's whitewashing things.

As this actually a problem or am I just getting too into my own head about this?

If you want to have small settlements and NPCs for the players to interact with, there's no reason why they can't be in the form of forward bases that have been there a while but haven't made progress in discovering secrets, other adventurers that have ventured forward to find their own way, that sort of thing. The players will be the first to make any significant progress in exploring this place, but that doesn't mean people haven't tried or are actively trying already.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Most rules in D&D are pretty intuitive and based on rolling a d20, as long as they're not all "Okay I'm going to do a standing jump before making a called shot, then grappling the bad guy. Next turn I'm going to try holding my breath, give them a point of exhaustion and-"

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

5e is fine for first-timers, it's all just about how stringent you are with the rules, how much combat you decide to include, etc. There are systems that are lighter in rules with more RP, or focus more on short adventures without levelling up or anything, but 5e is alright.

If none of you have played that's ideal, you can make poo poo up as you go

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

*tiktok voice*

Welcome to my lair, adventurers! It's time to perish at my hands!

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

What do you mean by well-written? Like, the book is easy to parse for the DM so that they can make the campaign good for players, or well-written in the sense that, if you go by the campaign word-for-word in what it tells you to do, and read all the box text, that it's got good prose and such?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

HellCopter posted:

For real. An element of one of the 5e campaigns was the discovery of a cursed ore that makes you go crazy. There are several enemies that went crazy because of the cursed ore, a king who went crazy because of his obsession with the cursed ore, and a lady who tells the PCs specifically how LAME and UNATTRACTIVE it is to be obsessed with the obviously cursed ore that makes you go crazy.

Naturally the first time my Dwarf PC finds a big statue made of it, he tries to steal it by grabbing it with his bare hands.

Look man last year we literally had something people called "the panera lemonade that kills you", and let me tell you, people were still buying it.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Agrikk posted:

If you are looking for ideas on what governments do in the face of an impending invasion, check out the Halo TV series.

I’ve never played the video game but have become weirdly invested in the show. Without sharing spoilers, unstoppable bad guys are marching their way across the galaxy and humans are fleeing in front of them. While the main character is a go-getter with a past, there are space government forces looking for the super weapon to defeat bad guy even as parts of the government ignore facts in the face of status quo.

Plus the planet invasion scenes are badass.

It's clear that, unless you've got a great person in power (unlikely), that people in power will do everything they can to keep power in the short term, even if it's clear they'll lose it in the long term. Even if, in the short and long term, it means people die. If they can hold onto that power for a second longer, they'll do whatever it takes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

D&D alignments gave us the concept of "it's what my character would do!"-chaotic-neutral-lol-random-style characters and for that it can never be redeemed.