Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.
Relatively new DM here with questions.

I'm running a game where the players are in charge of a trade caravan, and I'm trying to come up with some interesting encounters for them as they travel. The setting is classical greece-ish with magic that is rare and difficult to use. I'm just having a hard time coming up with things that aren't bandits/monsters attack or you find a chest/ruins/sacred site in the middle of nowhere. Ideas?

Second, this is my first campaign I'm running play by post, mostly because we're all too busy to find a time to skype together. The gameplay is going really slowly. I'm having a hard time running turn by turn combat, and I was considering having the players just telling me their general strategy and top targets before each combat, handling most of the stuff myself, and asking for more input only if things are going badly. I feel really bad doing this, though, because I feel like I'm taking away something important. What do you guys think?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Nanja Monja posted:

I'm a first-time DM running Pathfinder for some MMO friends. Since we're all pretty new to pen and paper games, it's mostly hack'n'slash. While everyone's having fun, I've made some stupid mistakes and there are some things I'm not sure how to deal with.

The wizard (an evoker :shepface:) only prepares direct damage spells. He uses all his highest level spells on the first monsters the party encounters, and then plinks away at the bosses with force missiles. Also, he's been complaining that his AC is too low compared to the rest of the party. I asked him why he doesn't use scrolls of mage armor - I've given him a bunch! Apparently it'd be a waste since the scrolls "only" last for an hour.

The rogue has ridiculously high acrobatics and could probably tumble past anyone's CMD to flank and get sneak attacks, but insists on sneaking up on enemies in the middle of combat. He sneaks up on enemies by running behind a tree (we use maptool), rolling for stealth and then walking right back out thinking stealth works like in Neverwinter Nights. I gave him an amulet that lets him turn invisible for one round twice per day to get him to stop doing this, but he never uses it in case he needs it later.

This fear of wasting resources kind of runs through the entire party - they've all got a bunch of potions and the paladin has a wand of cure light wounds, but they almost never use any of them in case they'd be wasted. In the first somewhat-lengthy dungeon they went through, they spent all their resources fighting a sealed chamber full of ghouls and then a group of gnolls and their leader. With the wizard having something like 3 hp and everyone else around half their max, they pressed on to fight the actual boss, a sea hag who'd been abducting villagers to eat or whatever.

I had planned for the sea hag to ride a giant lobster and call for help from another group of gnolls. I didn't want to get a TPK so early in the campaign, so I turned the sea hag into a joke boss, whose harmless lobster only swam around as she threw sea urchins at the party chasing her in a rowboat. In the end the fighter died, but everyone else made it.

Should I have let them get the entire party killed? I'm not sure if I should try to adapt to their unwillingness to use consumables or not, but I just can't seem to change their minds about it. I've directly told them after a session that they should use their items, and while they all agreed that they should they still don't.

You did the right thing making sure the party didn't wipe, since you're all new and don't want to turn anyone off. I understand completely the mindset of the packrat player, so here's my advice. Give them a wand or something that has a set number of heals per day, so that they don't have to feel like they're wasting an item. Make it something that would be ridiculous for a normal group: like 10 charges or something. They won't use them all, but maybe they would try using one or two of them and go from there.

For the evoker, maybe have the party fight a single mage as a throwaway encounter. Have the mage cast some spell that locks down the party for a while: sleep, web, etc. It shouldn't kill anyone, but hopefully it will show your mage the usefulness of spells other than straight damage.

It sounds like you tried the right tack with the rogue. Again, the only tactic that might work is upping the number of charges.

I'm sure they're all still in the mindset of an MMO, where consuming healing items is a direct consumption of money and resources. Given that mindset, the best you can do is make healing items plentiful and cheap, and keep talking to them. Another thing you can try is making them go through the pain in the rear end process of raising their fighter. Make them go pay out the rear end for the priest to raise him, or maybe he has a quest they have to do first. Make them not want to die again.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

I'm kind of the opposite of MohawkSatan; As a GM I did virtually no pre-planning in terms of storylines and adventures. In my free time I did a lot of stuff that could be considered "homework" - I built NPCs, worked on setting details, and the like - but I never wrote out an actual adventure. Instead I just tried to have as good a sense of the setting and the goings-on as I could, so that when I asked my players what they wanted to do, I could have a good idea of how people and things might react and change in response to their answers.

Honestly, "how much work is involved" varies from group to group and GM to GM. Some are much more comfortable with winging it, like me; some like more planning, like MohawkSatan. So you really kind of have to find the answer to that one yourself. One guideline I find helpful is that the more powerful the characters and the more narrative control you're willing to give the players, the easier it'll be for a 'seat of the pants' type GM; if your PCs are meeting in a tavern to go adventure in a dungeon so they can get rich, you don't want to make up the dungeon off the top of your head, but if your PCs are capable of saying 'you know what, I think we'll go undermine the corrupt government of that city-state today, that sounds neat' without any prompting from you, then it's best to run with it and let 'em.

This is my style, too. I love worldbuilding. I'll lay out detailed settings, factions, and potential conflicts. Then I let my players interact with the world as they see fit. I'll usually have a beginning narrative to get the players involved, but beyond a certain point, it's all them. I'll have the world continue to move in the background with the conflicts I've already planned out before. If the players want to take part, they can.

Encounters are mostly done with a central idea, some cheat sheets, and a lot of adjustment on the fly to suit difficulty. I don't put a lot of thought into most encounters, but I will make a set piece every once in a while.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Not exactly sure where to ask this, but I figure here's good enough. For our next campaign, my wife wants to play a game with "sexy blue aliens." I need a space-opera RPG, but I'm not too familiar with the genre. I just finished a custom campaign, and I'm not looking to really create an entire new setting myself, so I'd ideally like to find something with a good established setting. I'm not opposed to some crunch, but I'm probably not going to be designing detailed floor plans for every spaceship and playing space quartermaster/accountant. It should have rules for squad-based ground combat as well as ship combat as well as mechanics for trading/social stuff.

Things I'm looking for in an ideal system:
  • Established setting
  • Moderate amount of crunch
  • Star system maps
  • Lists of example weapons, upgrades, implants, etc
  • Ground combat rules
  • Space combat rules
  • Trading rules
  • Social rules

I was looking at Traveller, one of the few systems I know of, just because it has an extremely impressive star map. But I'm not familiar with the system and I don't know if it's too crunchy. Likewise with Rogue Trader, although I haven't seen a good set of system maps like Traveller has, though. Any others I should be considering? I'm not opposed to putting out some money for core books and supplements, so don't hold back.

Also, is there a good hex-based mapping program for star systems out there? I want something that gives me a grid of hexes, I click, plop down a new system and give it a name.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Another option would be Reign's Company rules as an easy system to tack on.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

gradenko_2000 posted:

As a GM, how much leeway can/should I have to play a game that I want?

Say, if I advertised for a 3.5E/PF game with only Barbarians, Fighters, Monks and Rogues are allowed, or a B/X game without the Thief, or telling the players going in that I'm going to be banning certain spells?

I keep thinking it's like a free-market thing where if I'm being unreasonable then no one will sign up in the first place, but I'm trying to account for the fact that there might be far less GMs than there are players and maybe I'm being a dick. I try to tell myself that I'm doing this because I think it's going to make for a better experience - I try to handle as much of the admin for the players as possible, and dealing with huge spell lists just gives me a headache, same with not wanting to saddle players with an inferior class, trying to improve balance, and so on and so forth, but maybe that's just a rationalization.

I think given the systems you're using that restricting to non-magic classes is an interesting twist. But if you really hate magic in those systems, why not use a different system instead?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Guildencrantz posted:

The group have to participate in some bizarre local wedding custom.

In my wife's family it's custom for the men of the wedding party to kidnap the bride and demand a ransom from the groom. Just an idea.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

TheTofuShop posted:

In my experience, Players ignore all story hooks, kill important npcs, and decide to do things like "eat the holy bread that is literally god."

Basically, I've discovered that less is always more, and that it's best to just let your players just make the story as they go.

I started playing a space opera type game with my wife, and had her make her character, tell me what her spaceship is like, etc. She tells me that the ship was actually a failed experiment in cat breeding, so now I have to work in a ship full of cats into the story :v:

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Davin Valkri posted:

That sounds like one of the spaceships from Tenshi Muyo. If I remember correctly, it's some space criminal's intergalactic starship that can turn into a cat-rabbit hybrid when landed. Maybe you could use something like that?

She had just seen Red Dwarf at the time, and I think the idea came from there. I'm thinking the cats are actually the computer system of the ship and their actions in the aggregate are used to plot complex maneuvers, like that scene in one of the Hitchhiker's Guide books with the Restaurant Drive.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

chaos rhames posted:

If a giant crab had a city on it, would it be cooler if it was built straight on top of it or connected in a hermit-crab style shell?

Morrowind's done it: Ald'Ruhn

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Okay, I want to poll the audience regarding a question I don't see a strong rule for:

In DnD (specifically Pathfinder 1e but I want to hear a broad range of perspectives), when does combat begin?

The prompt for this question is when I had a player with the Kensai Magus archetype get sneak attacked by an assassin. The PC failed the perception check, and the assassin was able to sneak up to him undetected from behind.

The Kensai archetype has a specific ability which states "At 19th level, a kensai’s initiative roll is automatically a natural 20 and he is never surprised."

The player argued that
1) combat began at the initiation of the sneak attack
2) because he can never be surprised, he should have been allowed to roll for initiative prior to the initiation of combat. He would have won this, gone first, and therefore not been flat-footed to the assassin and never have been sneak attacked.

I ruled that combat wouldn't have started until after the sneak attack, not before, and therefore rolling initiative doesn't come into play.

In retrospect later, I actually like the player's interpretation and should have just let him have the cool moment of turning around to smoothly counter the assassin who had just crept up behind him. But the situation prompted the broader question of when combat starts for PCs that aren't explicitly written as never being surprised. Does it start after an inciting event or before?

Pathfinder 1e rules don't actually define what starts a combat. The rules in the combat chapter just say "At the start of a battle, each combatant makes an initiative check." And for surprise it just says "When a combat starts, if you are not aware of your opponents and they are aware of you, you’re surprised." But never defines combat start.

This actually comes up more often than you'd think. Does combat start before or after a player says "gently caress it, negotiations are over, I stab the bastard"? Do they get one free hit in, and then combat starts? Or does combat start at their initial intention? When they reach for their blade? You can imagine a scenario where the PC reaches for their blade, but the NPC is quicker to react, rolls a higher initiative, and gets to act before the PC who said gently caress it. Or in the converse, if the PCs quick draw on a tavern patron at the start of the bar brawl, how do they explain that one to the city guard? "No, he hadn't swung at me when I cut him in half, but he was about to, I swear!"

My instinct says that allowing the initiating action to occur prior to combat start allows for cool moments, but it also allows weird situations like a PC getting a hit in, then rolling initiative, and maybe getting to immediately go again.

Anyone have thoughts on this?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I appreciate the input.

And I wouldn't quibble over the text of the rules so much either were it not for the fact that while combat start isn't defined, surprise is. Surprise is defined specifically as not being aware of your opponents at the start of combat. Whoever is not surprised gets to take an action in the surprise round. So the Kensai ability could be more specifically interpreted as "you always get to act in a surprise round." And a surprise round hadn't started yet if combat hadn't started, etc etc.

In the end I know the correct answer, as is always the correct answer in GMing, is to make a call about the specific situation that best improves the enjoyment for everyone. And I would make the call differently next time. But I was more interested in the philosophical question of when, exactly, combat is considered to begin.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Olesh posted:

What I'm saying is that more people should use the surprise round liberally instead of debating edge cases, and accept that sometimes characters get an advantage out of it.

Thanks for this. I agree that interpreting combat more liberally fixes weird edge cases like this. I did more reading on other forums, etc and this question comes up fairly frequently, and the answer that clicked with me the best was "roll initiative any time the order of actions matters." Which isn't strictly RAW but I think matches the intention the best.

Reveilled posted:

My group rolls initiative (which I’d consider “combat” to be synonymous with) any time someone in a scene takes an action someone else might reasonably wish to prevent.

Which is also what Reveilled is saying here.

sebmojo posted:

i mean sure it's a technical rules question but if i was that player i'd be like why is the submicron law ruler being applied to my situationally useful talent the one time it's actually useful, rather than the guy who can snap his fingers and summon 3 black dragons

You're right. I was in the wrong, I told the player that, and it all worked out well. We narratively described it as "the last time I'll ever be surprised," and it became a cool moment. This session the PC showed off the scar and growled about how he killed the last guy to ever surprise him, and he'll never be surprised again.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

nessin posted:

I'm playing out an exercise in learning how to manage/note take a campaign, basically taking Curse of Stradh and re-writing it in short form notes (seriously why in the world are all the modern D&D, including third party and Pathfinder, adventures so wordy?). Figured I could double it up as eventual material if I ever wanted to try and run it under a different system so not entirely just a learning effort.

Going through the book and cutting it down is fairly simple but I've just bene using a combination of Google Spreadsheets and Docs, which has generally been okay but I imagine there is a better way of doing this and there are a few problems I've ran info that I can imagine a better solution exists. The two main things I'm looking for:

1) Since this is a D&D module with everything mapped out, I kind of want to just take a map and annotate it with some pins that I can edit the notes for. I know a couple ways I can do that using office products certainly not suited for that but I feel like there has to be an easy option for this in the RPG sphere. Or as an alternative a tool for keying in something and having an output that can be printed afterwards. Not directly listing everything on the map/image, just keying the image with note numbers and then additional pages with the note details in a standard key entry format.

2) Something I can use for note taking that can quickly link things together. I know I could do something with OneNote which I use at work, but don't have at home. I've seen the the Notion.so tool used by the Lazy GM author, which is probably what I'll try out unless someone here can recommend an alternative. Mostly looking to either simplify re-using ideas/characters/notable objects/traps/so on or creating on-going notes for something I might use more than once, like say notes on running a Vaesen monster so I could have one entry for a monster and just link back to that whenever I want to use it instead of filling in everything in an individual adventures notes or copying them forward.

I use TiddlyWiki with TiddlyMap and the TiddlyDesktop Client. This gives you a free, easily editable wiki where you can throw images on and then use them as maps.

Installing would require:
1) Install TiddlyDesktop Client
2) Run nw.exe, create new wiki from empty TiddlyWiki file from the client, and open the wiki.
3) Drag the 4 plugin links from the TiddlyMap installation page directly onto the wiki you opened. Hit import. Save and restart.

Creating maps is done by:
1) Dragging or copy pasting the image file you want to make a map of onto the wiki, import.
2) Select the map tab on the right side menu added when TiddlyMap was installed.
3) Choose Create New View in the map menu
4) Choose Configure View in the map menu, go to the layout tab, and add the name of your saved image file from step 1 (needs to be exact name)
5) Now you have your image pulled up as a map, and you can click "Add Node" to create notes which are each saved as their own wiki page. You can click "Add Edge" if you want to make connections.

You can actually do some cool poo poo with this. You can add all your dungeons to an overland map, and then make it so that when you click the dungeon node it opens up the individual dungeon map.

It will definitely get you maps with labels. You can open up all the labels on the left side, and then you can hit print page (one of the non-default options under the tools tab, you could make it a default)

I grabbed a map from Pathfinder Society season 0 episode 1 Silent Tide just to show how you could make it. This took a couple minutes. My workflow was:
1) Open up my wiki
2) Open up the pdf. Hit win key + shift + S to snip a picture of the provided dungeon map
3) Hit ctrl + V to paste it directly into the wiki as a new import
4) Make a new view as per above with this image as the background
5) Make labels with Add Node. Each label is its own wiki page, and description text can be added.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

A half-baked mechanic I'm thinking about and maybe want to write up in the new year:

I've been reading about West Marches and Hexploration type campaigns and like the idea of campaigns where being in town or staying still is a little bit of a milestone and abnormality. Also I just generally like mechanics to exist- particularly ones that make players talk out a plan with each other and make decisions. It results in my favorite moment when GM'ing- where I take a break and try to figure out what I want to jump ahead to in my notes.

So I was thinking of a system where the Group's time in town is limited. In particular, I was thinking the group gets a count-down timer based on some reputation trait they earn over time. Sure they're heroes who've cleaned out goblin nests or taken down a dragon- but they are are also weird mercenaries with bizarre anti-social behaviors in a world where most commoners never leave town. Adventurers wear out their welcomes quickly in this sort of world. Sort of like how I feel Witchers get treated in that game, Witchers.

The group earns a couple of Reputation points every time they go out to the wilds. Maybe 3 on average. And each point can be spent on one full turn (a day) in town. While in town players do get to restore all their health, healing surges, spell slots, and so on. But the group also only get to do one action a day- they can refresh supplies at a general store, try to shake out rumors about the local woods, buy/sell/make a unique object, talk with an NPC, etc. In my mind- this inverts an experience I feel I've had a few times running campaigns where I'm telling the players they enter town and they're waiting on me to further give them motivations, and instead makes "we're entering town" a decision the players are making with purpose.

I could also imagine an add-on mechanic where a player can opt to save the group 1 reputation point or extend their stay one day by taking a short term penalty on their next trek and roleplaying a scene of something unfortunate happening to them during their stay: getting beaten up at the inn after drinking too much, getting a letter from a family member with bad news, etc.

You could also do something like the Angry GM's tension/time pool. Essentially he adds a d6 to a glass jar every time the players do something time consuming. When the jar reaches 6 dice, he rolls them and empties the jar. Alternatively, if the players do something reckless, he rolls the dice already in the jar. If one of the d6 roll a 1, a Complication happens, be that an encounter, new obstacle, snag in a plan, etc.

It's a simple flexible tool that provides a nudge to players to use their time thoughtfully without forcing a hard limit, and works well in a variety of situations. For dungeons, every time players spend time searching a die gets added, for example. For exploration, every 4 hour watch adds a die, so that the jar gets rolled once per day.

Maybe for your town time, you add one die per day, or per action in town. The party can spend time in town, but if they stay too long they start pushing their luck with Complication. The townspeople get restless about their new weird neighbors. Or enemies they've made track them down in town (they can't track them down while they're in the trackless wilderness). Or one of the players drank too much last night and got into trouble.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Admiralty Flag posted:

The die jar is a neat mechanical solution to the "town problem," but if your plot allows it, you could as a result of a 6/in addition to the roll allow news of a known/potential threat advancing their nefarious plans to reach the players, and intimate that in general that no one else might care enough/be powerful enough/have the focus to deal with the threat. ("Disaster! The bandit lord Fertingoxar's men have raided Fairhaven, a mere two days' travel along the Forest Road. Reports are sketchy, but they apparently made off with some of the villagers' livestock and killed several bodied defenders. No doubt that blackguard will be emboldened by his success, especially as the Duke doesn't have a standing militia in this part of the Vale.")

This is of course just stealing fronts from PbtA games.

Yeah fronts are another good way to do this.

This is the classic town problem. How do you get players, who are going to be cautious and calculating, to align with their characters, who are brave adventurers? How do you get them to leave the comfort/safety of town? It’s the carrot and the stick. Entice them with adventures, and make it clear what the characters risk *not* leaving town. Their enemies continue to plot, their allies are threatened, and opportunities are missed.

The tricky part is making it so that it’s not GM fiat saying “gently caress you, downtime’s over, time to go adventure”. It’s aligning incentives so that the players and their characters want to get back to adventuring.

Edit: this still sounds too railroady. I’m not even saying the players *have* to do anything. Just that every choice they make in how they spend time—either here in town or out on the trail—should be consequential. For every thing they do, the opportunity cost is all the stuff they didn’t do. It’s easy to understand this in real life—there are millions of things we could do if we had the time for it, and every day we decide what we’re going to do and pass up on the millions of things we don’t do. But in RPGs the focus is on the characters and their actions, and it takes active effort to simulate the background world of all the stuff they’re not doing. Fronts and Complications are ways to easily simulate the stuff that they’re not doing without having to waste unnecessary effort.

I’m reminded of Pathfinder Kingmaker (the video game, not the TTRGP adventure path) that got heavily criticized for having hard time limits on each chapter quest, limiting the time you could spend exploring or in downtime kingdom building. But in retrospect I think having some sort of mechanic to limit how long you could explore, grind, turtle and build your kingdom unmolested was necessary. Otherwise there’s no stakes or cost to building your kingdom—you have the time and resources to do everything and don’t have to make interesting decisions. I think where Kingmaker failed with this was making it a hard and artificial time limit via quest expiration rather than having the limit arise naturally from the situation. Sure, you can keep building your kingdom, but the Fey are rampaging on its western border. Sure, you can keep exploring, but Pitax is still preparing to invade. Etc.

Or gently caress it and play Ars Magicka and spend years to decades at a time building your base. That’s fun too.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Dec 28, 2023

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Golden Bee posted:

I want to give more spotlight to the bad boy academic/mad scientist in my 1930s pulp game. We’re going to have him, the lounge singer, and the reporter as a trio… What dramatic things, not necessarily dangerous, could happen at an academic conference?

What are some weird places south of equator for those conferences? We’ve seen a lot of Australia.

Continuing in the great tradition of medical self experimentation, perhaps the conference features some weird medical self-experiments? The absolutely 100% reliable method for re-attaching one's own decapitated head? The Inside-Out Man? Fully functional double grafted arms? That last one could turn into a combat encounter if desired as the arms take over, Liquid Ocelot style.

And put it on Cape Horn, in the observation room atop a sprawling naval complex, where the preeminent naval powers are competing to launch expeditions to the Antarctic.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

He’s quietly sending prisoners, vagrants, and orphans from the city he rules to his private cult to (insert whatever evil god or demon that applies here, don’t know the setting). There they are sacrificed to power a super weapon / mutated to form a secret army / sold into slavery to generate funds for his plans.

The players get wind of the plan when an important contact of theirs goes missing after getting too close to the truth. They need to investigate, follow the clues, and track the contact down to one of the lairs where the captives are processed. They free their contact after a daring raid, but during the raid they uncover evidence about the plan. The main villain is never definitively named, but there are enough clues to lead to further follow up investigations.

Perhaps they get clues to the next site—a temple where the sacrifices are done / lab where the mutations happen / secret market where the slaves are auctioned. From there they get hard evidence that the villain is involved. Do they take it to the public? Move against them quietly? Blackmail them for their silence? Etc.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agrikk posted:

Anyone have recommendations for narrative descriptions of battles being fought between large armies (100,000+ per side) in which spell-users are involved?

We might be heading towards a reckoning in my campaign in which the spell using army of the good guys will be fighting the spell-using bad guys and I'd like to be able to convey the tactics employed by spell using armies to my PCs who most likely won't be directly involved. I'd like for my description of the battle to be more than lighting bolts and fireballs tossed around, but more interesting use of illusionary terrain, walls of stone/ice/fire, stone to mud, how magic could enhance or hinder battlefield logistics and communications, etc. I'd also like to see the tactics and counter tactics of spell users and what a mundane army might do to protect its casters.

Any suggestions or articles/books to read?

Some ideas just to get you thinking and hammer down some specifics:

How high level are the armies? Is this like DnD where the majority of people are low level, most < 10 and most most < 5? Then most priests are casting minor buffs and minor heals, and most mages are casting direct evocation, summons, buffs, and debuffs on the lines. A good portion of casters are the equivalent of logistics in the modern army--they're healing, teleporting/transporting, creating food and water, sending magical communications, trying to intercept magical communications, and otherwise doing a lot of the *stuff* a modern logistics staff does today.

However, every successful large army will also have a core of high level casters. These are the ones who are casting the game changing spells--earthquake to disrupt enemy fortifications, weather changing spells to disrupt or confuse maneuvers, high level summons or evocations to punch holes through lines, and raises/resurrections of slain officers. Maybe these are the PCs. Or the PCs' targets.

Perhaps the battle is partly a battle of wills between the major casters, where if either broke through the others' fortifications the army would be annihilated. And it's the PCs' job to either make the breach or stop the breach.

Alternatively, maybe you want to make space for the common non-magical soldier to shine, or maybe the PCs don't want to be involved with magic. Then perhaps the majority of casters on both sides are being used to counter the others. Perhaps most of the casters are being used off the main line either to maintain ritual shields or provide intermittent artillery. Think Witcher 3 Kaer Morhen where Triss is casting some fireball artillery and Yen is maintaining a shield, but there's plenty of room for the fighters to actually do fighting.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agrikk posted:

I'll be throwing them into a position where they'll need to stop the fighting, because every death is one step closer to the liberation of whatever is in the prison. Alternately, they need to teach the spirits in the Upside Down how to fight better in order to win the spirit battle in the upside down so babies can be born instead of winter elves and boost the global population of humans up past the critical point.

Okay, make it like Eragon, as much as I dislike the book. Powerful casters can draw on the life force of soldiers to power their own spells. Common soldiers are useful for 1) killing other common soldiers and 2) dying so that casters may power mighty spells. The armies are important only for powering spells and denying opponents power to their spells.

Human armies can win battles, but only at the cost of weakening themselves long term. Different approaches that can preserve life let the PCs change the game.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Squidster posted:

EDIT: Or take it the opposite direction, and costume a squad of hardbitten veterans as the tackiest mages imaginable. Taxidermied raven on the shoulder, rhinestone bucklers, a bandolier of wands, everyone carrying a suspiciously fancy walking stick. There's a lot of fun imagery in there.

Team, your next mission is to be the decoys for our mage operation. We need you to put on these robes and wizard hats and run around the battlefield drawing fire.

I know, I know, not exactly a fun or safe mission. But, I pulled some strings and managed to get you *these*. Some of the highest level wands and staves we had at the HQ. Anything left over I have to give back afterwards, so make sure these get *used*. Understand?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

road potato posted:

Some way that they can use dice and game mechanics to solve a problem, but I'm totally drawing a blank and don't want to just spend two hours talking and traveling.

Anybody have any suggestions?

The summit takes place during a tournament. Negotiation sessions are interspersed with jousting, archery competition, a bardic sing-off, acrobatic displays, or whatever relevant skill challenges you think your players would like. The tournament is also a chance for your players to show off to the major players in their kingdom and the neighboring one. You could bring in whatever contacts you think would be interesting. At the end of the tournament is one big mock combat, with the prize being a minor boon from the ruler. This could be a favor in negotiations, or the players might use it more selfishly.

Additional complications you could add:
1) Your two main negotiating partners in the knights (one for each of the displaced groups) got into a fight over a noble lady. They're to fight a duel. Do the players try to make peace? Do they help their favored party win (or escape)? How will that affect negotiations?

2) One of the local nobles approaches the players privately. They stand to lose if the negotiations proceed. Maybe the refugees are to be resettled on his demesne at his cost, or maybe they already are and he doesn't want to let them leave. Maybe the refugees are heretics or heathens and the local priest wants them gone. In any case, the noble is offering a large sum of cash and future favors if the players can subtly cause the negotiations to fail without making the sabotage obvious. Do the players switch plans? And what will it cost them to oppose the noble? Do they need to develop their own ally to protect them against the noble's revenge if they don't go along?

3) The knights refuse to negotiate with commoners (assuming the PCs are commoners) or adventuring trash. They will only respect the PCs enough for negotiations to continue if they can prove their worth by defeating their chapter's champion. But the champion is a beast, clearly multiple levels above the PCs, and facing him in a fair duel is a nearly certain loss. The PCs have a week until the end of the tournament to turn the tables. Get him distracted, steal his favorite sword, rust the joints in his armor, get his favorite squire sick the day of the duel, get him drunk the night before, etc etc. Then they might stand a chance.

4) The negotiations conclude successfully, but the refugees need to be resettled before winter sets in. As part of the negotiated agreement, the PCs are responsible for the resettlement. They need to scout out a suitable site, guide the refugees there dealing with any threats on the way, help heal any ill or wounded, and otherwise do any myriad of tasks you can think of to found a small town. This would tie back in nicely with your hex crawl--anywhere on the map that the PCs think might be suitable for resettlement? Or do they need to do some more crawling?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

PharmerBoy posted:

Anyone have good advice/think-pieces with regards to pacing, moving scenes along, and ending them? Particularly in the context of a more investigative campaign.

I've come to realize my regular players are prone to seriously dragging things out. Turn over every rock, poke & prod NPCs every which way they can imagine, re-hash info. For my part, in this realization I recognized I've also been bad about just letting them do so, and not driving the pace of a scene myself when needed. When I realized this mid-session and tried to end a scene (just them futzing about their quarters before bed, in a way so inconsequential I can not remember what it was), I ended up with a waterfall of "Wait, I do X," "And then I'm gonna do Y," and so forth. I've been pretty lax about it, figuring I should let them investigate at their own pace, but I just took a step back and realized the short interlude scenario (3-6 sessions) we're doing between larger campaigns has been going months. Its draining my enthusiasm to continuing running a game, so something's got to be done. I haven't explicitly talked with the other players yet, but plan to once I've got a firmer idea of what I'm looking for in direction.

Our last campaign was Blades in the Dark, which took the problem out of our hands by forcing action, and we all would try to keep to a pace of finishing up a heist by the end of the game night. Considering just laying things out for players at the start of the night along the lines of "By the end of tonight (real time), you should be X much further along in game," but that doesn't feel ideal to me. Wondering what other people have done.

I think there's two ways to handle this that are complementary. In game and out of game.

1) In game:
I think I had just posted this a few pages back, but I like The Angry GM's Tension Pool for providing a mechanical weight to keep players moving.

The tl;dr is have a jar where you put d6s. Every time-consuming action adds 1d6 to the jar. If the jar reaches 6 dice, you roll the dice in the jar, and then empty the jar.

Also taking any risky action rolls the dice currently in the jar but does not remove them. If there are no dice in the jar, roll 1d6 but don't add it to the jar.

If any rolled dice come up 1, you create a Complication. The Complication is always bad. It shouldn't be game ending, but should be a sufficient negative consequence that players don't want to get it too often.

This creates a tradeoff for the players. They can't investigate forever without cost. The thief gets away, the killer strikes again, and the mob boss intimidates witnesses into silence. Maybe someone hears about their poking around and sends a squad of goons to rough them up or an assassin to silence them for good. Maybe their office gets firebombed and all their notes burn. You get the idea.

2) Out of game:
Tell them exactly what you said. Tell them that you really like that they're taking the investigation so seriously, but reassure them that you're not out to get them, and that backtracking and investigating so exhaustively and perfect play aren't required to complete the investigation and enjoy the outcome.

And also ask yourself if they're doing those things because they're frequently getting stuck during the investigation. Using The Three Clue Rule to add redundancy to your investigations, and structuring investigation scenes more loosely in a Node Based Scenario Design will make sure that players don't have to backtrack and find every clue to keep the investigation going.

Edit:
Rereading my answer I realize I didn't provide much on pacing. That's a more nebulous concept than scenario design, and I won't claim to be a master at it. But I think your players might do better if you were more explicit during a scene about who is acting now, and what are they doing. For "think" pieces I will point back to the Angry GM, who writes like a jackass but has decent ideas behind it.

In particular, I like Inviting PCs to Act, especially the section discussing that you never speak to everyone at once. You invite one specific player to act, take their input, and then continue to go around the table. This one I don't do all the time, but when people are getting unfocused or indecisive it's helpful to get them more organized.

Cantorsdust fucked around with this message at 04:33 on Feb 5, 2024

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Similar to the above I was going to say that breaking into a graveyard of dead gods is going to unleash alll kinds of badness. Demons, undead, worms, liches and more all feeding on dead god matter. There’s an entire parasitic ecosystem there feeding on the detritus of a rotting godcorpse.

The PCs are going to be busy moving as quickly as possible to engage the big bad. They’re counting on their allies for several key enabling tasks:

1) Hold the planar breach open so they can safely return, fighting off any scavengers that come

2) Clearing out a huge rotting corpse that’s blocking the way

3) Another rotting corpse bursts during the battle and showers everyone in gore / creates a hazardous toxic area. It needs to be cleared out for the return trip before everyone dies of poison and disease.

4) Powerful illusion magic must be maintained as a diversion for the big bad’s forces so the PCs have a shot of making it.

5) A hole must be punched through the big bad’s defenses and secured while the PCs are inside.

Etc etc, add more options depending on the number of factions.

My favorite part of ME2’s ending was that desperate mission where you’re assigning people to critical tasks and hoping you made the right call for who you sent where. You can try to replicate that by pairing each PC with a faction and a skill roll (or series of rolls) to complete a task. If you want to stretch out the drama, take the tasks above and split them into subtasks. Then the group has to clear each subtask and the whole task before moving on to the next.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Pantaloon Pontiff posted:

And if just doing a 'cut away' doesn't work, you can use prophetic vision if there's magic, gods, psychic powers, or the like in the setting. It's pretty typical in fantasy settings for gods to be limited in their ability to intervene directly, but be able to send dreams or visions to guide people. I'm always amazed at how many DMs don't tap into this as a way to get the players information to move the campaign forward and give context to what's happening in the campaign.

I was just going to add that specifically for the Rogue Trader setting, long distance communication is via Astropathic Choirs. These are groups of telepaths psychically sending messages.

But they're not telegraphs. They're sending coded, complex visions that the other side has to interpret back into a message (at least in the fluff).

So I suggest having the PCs Astropath intercept a message from the villain. Let it be a complex vision that the Astropath can perform a ritual for the PCs to experience. And let the PCs literally experience whatever aspects/message/personality of the villain you want to communicate.

He's secretly afraid his underlings will betray him? The vision starts with the villain on a throne surrounded by walls of knives. He's conversing with a large knife dripping with blood in the center of the room. He wants to reach out to wield it but is afraid he'll slice his hand open.

He's in thrall to Chaos? The vision takes place within the Warp itself and the PCs constantly hear maddened laughter and whispering in the background. The villain makes his plea to a pile of skulls / a mass of writhing flesh / a stinking pit of pus / a pillar inscribed with runes and 9 eyes.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

Thanks for your advice on villain exposition. I created a couple characters at odds with the villain leadership and had one of them call the players.

She used a secret spy-bug the players had planted on them unawares quite a ways back in order to try to get them to go away and leave the villains alone. Well they get this whole holographic message played to them by the little coin-sized machine with metal bug legs that appears out of nowhere. (It crawled out from inside one of the players' capes where it's been hiding for months.) One of the players then picks it up and no kidding puts it in his pocket, and then they have a long conversation about how to trap the villains' ship so it can't escape or hide. Then as soon as they put their plan in action, the villains know exactly what they're doing, and the players are wondering out loud how they knew...

Time for the villains to leak just enough clues to send them on a spy hunt where ANYONE on the ship could be the spy! What hijinks / summary executions will the PCs get up to?

edit: Or maybe they have an Inquisitor contact that has picked up suspicious chatter from the PCs, and they send an Inquisitorial delegation to root out the spy.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Boogan posted:

I'm running a campaign set in the Forgotten Realms and I've introduced a mechanic called Shards of Madness. A player with a Shard of Madness can "spend" it like an Inspiration Point, granting Advantage, but doing so requires them to roll on the Long-Term Madness table.

My first Shards were granted for trying to read text from the Far Realm. I'm wondering if any of y'all wicked creative goons have any ideas of other things that might inject some Lovecraftian madness into someone?

possession by a spirit or demon

stumbling upon the ruins / artifacts / rituals of a dark cult

performing a blood magic ritual

touching that strange looking altar and communing with a being from the outer realms

being struck by lightning

letting that mad preacher on the street grab your arm and stare deep into your eyes

looking out the window on All Hallow's Eve, when good folk are supposed to be asleep in their beds, and spying a creeping demon

spending too long at sea listening to the whispering on the wind

staring at the sun during an eclipse

getting soaked in ichor from that corrupted corpse

taking that deal the forest fey is offering

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

A few thoughts:

It sounds like they really want the cruiser now without an extended sequence to renovate it. I certainly understand the need to pace advancement and make sure that growth takes effort and cost. But keeping with the Rogue Trader theme, maybe this is something they can throw money at? Either have them make a few hard Profit rolls or have the drydock offer to move heaven and earth for them in exchange for a permanent cost of Profit Points, maybe 10 or so?

The broader question is also whether there’s something about your proposed renovation plan for the ship that the players see as not fun.

Otherwise, regarding players feeling like they’re not advancing, is it that they’re not earning XP or Profit? Is it time for a quick Deal That’s Too Good to Be True? It’ll end in combat, of course, but after the fallout the players will find themselves left with a hold full of easily salable goods.

Or is the main plot languishing behind tangents and side quests? Does one of the main villains need to advance their plans in a dramatic manner to grab attention?

You might just also need to your players down and ask “alright, so last session was a miss. What did you guys find frustrating about it and what do you want to do differently”. Doesn’t mean you have to do what they tell you—players often can’t explain what they actually like, just what they dont—but it’s a starting point.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I'd add that you're the god of knowledge, not knowledge of just what's brought to your library. Literally everything you know is contained in the library... somewhere. The libraries have huge extradimensional spaces where your vast knowledge is contained. But as the poster above said, only you know where everything is organized. The spaces are guarded by sacred wards and a small army of divine angel librarians.

Whole adventures could be made of trying to find lost, secret, or forbidden knowledge by venturing deep into the library stacks, bypassing wards, and defeating guardians. You can decide yourself how you feel about these adventures. Maybe they're worthy quests for knowledge? Maybe they're unwelcome intrusions into your secrets by upstarts that don't deserve your knowledge? Maybe it's more of a case by case thing based on the individuals searching.

In terms of how they fit into the world, I would imagine many rulers would be wary of these libraries and seek to control them strictly. They don't want their own secrets becoming common knowledge. Some dictators don't want their subjects to know much about the outside world. Some theocrats don't want knowledge of other faiths to spread.

So a number of those libraries have been burnt down, and others are carefully guarded and restricted only to the leader's chosen.

Rumors say there's a Lost Library out there in the Wastes / Deep Forests / Other Planes / etc that is completely unguarded and open to anyone who can make it there! Other rumors say that if you delve deep enough into the ruins of the Old Burned Library you can find the answers you seek--if you can brave the traps and monsters that have taken up residence. The Princess wants the PCs to retrieve a copy of the Love Letter from her secret lover her father doesn't approve of. Her father burned the letter, but it was sent as an inter-library message, so there must be a copy somewhere. And the General wants the PCs to intercept foreign intelligence he suspects is getting sent via encoded library message.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

loving fantasy Gödel ruins everything

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

There’s a distinctly German Job Simulator feel to taking a break from your IT job to go computer janitor the fantasy library.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

CzarChasm posted:

I really like this, but crank it up to ludicrous and you have a way to damage or hurt the library (or the whole system).

It's magic based, so rather than needing to confiscate physical materials and have a scribe make a copy, the library has an enchantment that can magically read and copy any written material. You bring in a book, the library senses it, reads it and in some corner gets to work making a copy of that book.

End game quest is calculating the library’s Gödel number and constructing a book that, once inserted into the library, proves the library cannot be both complete and true. The whole thing vanishes in a puff of logic.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Late to the party, but when I hear lightning coils and a pile of corpses, I think of using the coils to raise them Frankenstein style. Maybe the coils alternate between shocking PCs and raising corpses, depending on what you want for the tactical situation?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah it’s important that the players have fun but it’s equally important that you don’t burn out from handling all the tasks (I speak from experience). So figure out what bookkeeping your players could do. Journals and session wrap ups are good especially because it gives you a sneak peak into what THEY thought was important during the session, which may be very different from what YOU thought was important.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

The work of disconnecting the reactor from the cogitator core wasn't just abandoned--it failed. The head tech priest attempted a ritual to replace the cogitator with his own mind so that the reactor could be restarted. This left him a mangled husk, with thick cables intertwining with his limbs to the point that you can't tell where his arms end and the machine begins. But inside the husk is a small spark that the PCs can interface with. Not enough to carry a full conversation, but that can provide whatever relevant plot the players need if provided the correct prompts/context.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agrikk posted:

That’s just it: I don’t know who she is. And I’m asking for ideas on how she should act and what her desires are.

I kinda feel like a book author. :D

Just spitballing here:

You said she was part of an attack against the PCs for the macguffin. What, specifically, were her motivations for being part of that attack? Not the general motivations by the one who ordered the attack, but her motivations for joining and going through with attacking the PCs?

Is she a brainwashed weapon that never thought about her orders before and is now starting to develop free will?

Was she raised to hate the 4th attempt PC and joined the attack out of personal animosity?

Is she just a loyal solider following orders?

Does she have personal designs on the macguffin and secretly hoped to take it for herself to further her own plans?

I agree with the above posts that if you can pin down her motivation, what she does in any situation will flow naturally and won't have to be planned meticulously.

I also think that here you should let the PCs lead. They specifically chose an action that gave this woman significance. The woman has already become important to them. Make the PCs decide what they want to do with her, and you'll have to think less hard about it. And it will make whatever results feel like the natural consequences they have earned for their actions.

This can come to a head the next time the PCs need to go on an adventure. What are they going to do with the woman? Take her with them? Lock her up in their castle? Get a trusted aide to watch her while they're gone? How the PCs treat her will help determine your next steps.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Agrikk posted:

All I really know is that she has two driving motivators: gratitude at being rescued and cleaned up and jealousy that she failed at her quest and got to watch the next person succeed while she was drugged and abused for years.

It sounds like she has split motivations, and that her further interactions with the PCs, particularly the fourth attempt, will determine which way she splits! I'd try to provide some guidance or foreshadowing of this to the PCs the next time they talk about her.

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Morrow posted:

So the first thing that comes to mind beyond just the CEO getting crushed to death is for him to be 3d printed, and still alive, into a door or another part of the mansion. The AI starts experimenting with organic raw materials so it's 3d printing the employees into human furniture. And they're either insane and trying to kill the PCs or maybe begging for death.

In terms of wrapping it up, just as the AI needs to print parts of the mansion, it needs to demolish parts in order to recover the materials. So the final boss is some giant construction bot when you decide the session is done, which is a big threat to the PCs but also exposes the inner workings because it lets them get "outside" the mansion.

I like this, and maybe make the CEO a recurring character throughout exploration of the mansion. As the PCs move, the mansion is deconstructed behind them and reconstructed in front of them holodeck style. They keep running into the CEO who's built into the wall begging for help etc, leave, the CEO gets deconstructed and reconstructed wherever they go next. A little silly, but also really horrific!

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

I agree with the above that the main issue is lack of immediately available healing magic. You might want to space out combats as possible to allow for short rests between. The other concern I would have would be crowd control without debuffs or area of effect spells. But between the 3 martial classes they’ll probably be okay, there’s no squishy rogue for example.

Outside of combat, they might be a little limited in their approaches. There’s no dedicated face/CHA character. The ranger might be a decent sneaker, but there’s also no one there to lockpick or disarm traps.

On the upside, the party composition would be well suited to wilderness exploration or traveling from town to town getting into scraps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Arglebargle III posted:

My players continue to throw me for a loop. They now have their light cruiser pacified, and I was planning to have them tow it back and launch into a siege episode where they would have to rush through its repairs in order to fend off an invasion. Or maybe they could go do a mystery adventure if they're not ready to go home. But now they want to stash it in deep space and go home! So there's not really any narrative hook, they just want to regroup and now if I fire the siege plot their new ship won't be threatened. They keep foiling all my plans...

If they’re stashing it in deep space, maybe someone steals it in the meanwhile, and it becomes either a mystery to track it down or a desperate chase. Or maybe they learn that their rivals have found the cruiser, and it’s a race to get back to the cruiser before their rivals take it.