Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

As long as they get to kill him or realize why they shouldn't eventually it should be okay.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

A couple ideas...

1) Players are all coworkers in the same high rise office building, working on some huge important project so they've essentially locked themselves in a conference room and turned off their phones until they're finished. They emerge having successfully finished the work that of course no longer matters because the world is being overrun with zombies.

2) Players are prisoners. Guardd abandon the jail when they hear zombies are coming and by the time the players can get out they're surrounded.

3) Players are returning from a cruise, all asleep from partying hard the night before. They wake up to find the boat crashed into the dock and swarming with zombies.

4) Players are trapped on a subway that breaks down. When they give up waiting for someone to help them it takes forever to walk out of the tunnel and when they emerge they find the city swarming with the undead.

Just random thoughts.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Astfgl posted:

How do you guys go about incorporating sciencey things into a fantasy setting?

A wizard did it.

quote:

Now my alchemist wants to know if he can identify DNA strains when he examines blood,

Would his character even know what to look for? The problem here is asking to do a DNA analysis is asking if his character can look for something he doesn't know exists. If he asked it as "can my character figure out who's blood this is?" It's a lot easier to deal with I think, as a simple yes or no, or you can narrow it down to species, or something like that.

quote:

and my forensics expert wants to know if he can do a ballistic analysis of a crime scene.

Forensics isn't a modern invention, as much as people like to pretend it is, just some of the fancier toys they use to do it are. There's no reason he couldn't figure out where a crossbow was shot from or whether the person's body was moved or how many shots were fired and if any arrows are missing or that kind of thing. There's nothing particularly modern about it, unless you're referring to modern guns which, if those exist in your campaign there shouldn't be much of an issue with other modern tech.

quote:

It's not that I object to them having this information, I'm just running out of ways to couch that kind of stuff in fantasy language. Any ideas?

Translate it into the language of the time. Don't let them ask for stuff like "DNA" when their character would have to invent genetics just to know what that meant. Boil it down to what are they going for, what are they trying to do, and then see how someone in their time/situation would go about doing it.

quote:

It feels a little dissonant to go from high-fantasy speech to "Well, you've isolated a series of genetic markers that could have caused the hereditary mutation in the town's population..." Also, I don't want to slide too far into handwaving it all away with magic because my alchemist is not a magical character in the slightest.

The problem here is your alchemist shouldn't be looking for genetic markers because he shouldn't have any idea what those are or how to find him, and depending on how things work in your world they may not even exist. If the populace is really throwing those phrases around casually then it shouldn't be a problem for your players to also, if not then they aren't playing their characters they're playing the lost time travel episode of CSI.

Also it could be much cooler than just DNA. If your fantasy setting permits what if his blood tests find a way to determine if the person has ever been exposed to a demon or cast magic or whether he believes in a certain god or not. It would be a lot more like, here is a clue, then here is the roadmap.

SlothBear
Jan 25, 2009

Thelonious Funk posted:

How do you guys feel (as players) of fights with gimmicks? As an example, say you're fighting a Golem. Ever so often he uses a huge beam (or something, it's an example shut up), and for a turn after that, he takes increased damage (otherwise taking normal damage.)

Is that too lame, or would it be on a group by group basis? Also, does anyone have any other suggested gimmicks that aren't so run of the mill?

I love these things. Especially if its a gimmick that lets the players outsmart or outplay the opponent. Something non-essential and non-obvious that a smart player can use to have an easier time of it is really rewarding, like stalactites that you can shake off if you knock a boss into them, terrain that you can use to your advantage, freaking out a monster by descreating its creator's tomb in front of it and causing it to lose focus, these little things can add a lot to a fight and make it more than just #s. I also like the time limit gimmick where a monster is gearing up for some huge attack and you gotta kill it before it gets there, makes it so the players can't just cower back and play conservative.