Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

When this was said, the Blessed One said to him:

"Motherfucker I will -end- you"

So hey, I need help. Bad. I'm running an NWOD mage game, and while I don't mind players one-shotting the odd encounter, I have a problem. One of players is a thyrsus. How can I stop him from transmuting everything into bees? or turning Tzimisce Szlachta into pomeranians? Or trying to kill archmages? or transmuting the bacteria in the lower intestine into e-coli or ebola. He's a friend, and does roleplay, but still. Help me keep him from breaking the game :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Angered & displeased, he went to the Blessed One and, on arrival, insulted & cursed him with rude, harsh words.

three life, using it to transform base and medium life, transferring features, and summoning bees and ladybugs from -everything-.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I would like some advice! Summer is coming up in a week, and I want to get my friends together for a D&D campaign; a modified 4e with some stuff from 13th age. However, I've also been playing ton of old RPGs and looking through my old RPG books. What I would like to do is include some sort of impetus for rest and relaxation, and maybe some kind of renown or faction system. The 4e DMGs don't to my knowledge, seem to have tips on how to work this in (if so could someone tell me where?). I'm also looking at how to make diseases a thing rather than the less than worrysome aspect they get in a DMG treatment.

Maybe someone has experience with this and can help me out?

Here are some things I am looking at working on:
-Some sort of fatigue system, ties to healing surges maybe, that can be spent like a resource on challenges/encounters/etc. Food and drink could help you regain fatigue without having to take an extended rest.

-Some sort of renown or ranking fame system: to be used also like a sort of currency with different factions: A cabal of secretive warlocks or a gang of thieves etc.

-A reason to carry disease preventions, like a reserve of cash for a temple healer etc. Basically I would like to make catching disease a thing without it being too grognardian. I'm already planning to use weather as a sort of skill challenge, maybe I could do the same with disease

-Maybe something like AD&D proficiencies for mundane skills that can be used for this stuff?

Basically I want to create a game for my players that's a bit more than simple dungeon crawling; without taking the focus away from dungeon crawling. I want to bring in stuff that is kind of grognard-y but without making it a chore or useless micromanagement, trying to find a way to turn it into part of a game, and make it fit well and mesh. I want my players to have fun, socialize, have fun interacting with the world and still feel like heroes. So with this regard I'd love some help :shobon:

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

sebmojo posted:

Skyrim has a wonderful mod called Frostfall that completely changes the way you view the outdoors, and makes things like icy rivers actually sort of terrifying. Getting that feel into 4e would help get what you're looking for.

To achieve this, first cut back on recovery of healing surges (maybe con bonus + 3 per night?), and make a couple of disease tracks. One for actual disease and one for fatigue. Make it so being at the top gives minor bonuses, and tune it so it's not devastating to be moderately fatigued and tired, but have the very bottom be death.

I'd also ditch xp (level up every few sessions when they've achieved some notable goal) and use inherent bonuses, as that skips two of 4e's key flaws.

This is really good actually; I've played frost fall and I rather like it. I do especially like how it makes the survival mechanics part of the game. Maybe work in something like a disease track as you suggest for environmental stuff; I'd have to tweak it a bit because it could just be grognardy bloat; or a fun way to have the environment itself be an encounter. Some skill checks and a "hypothermia" chart to follow could lead to some fun struggling against the environment. Cutting surges to three is pretty good, was that a random number? With the average surge value of classes being 7 it means that at minimum you need about two nights rest to be back up at full.

3+ con modifier+ feat or power modifiers + fatigue modifiers

With fatigue modifiers being either a malus (hungry, tired, sick etc etc) or a bonus (hearty stew, rented a comfortable bed, had mulled wine, etc etc) It would encourage players to spend money and time on lifestyle stuff because it means they're walking around with as much healing as they can. And if I make combat a little deadlier it means that fights would naturally whittle away at fatigue- Too much or no?

With regards given to experience I personally like it. Not for levelling up players, that's mostly arbitrary and every few sessions. but to help me budget out encounters quickly. I'm not sure about using inherent bonuses either. I like them but I also plan to be fairly liberal with magic loot.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Right. The issue there might be as simple as giving them too much choice and how it's worded. phrasing it in the way of "this is what we're doing next session" can also be daunting because what if they do pick wrong of those five choices and they pick a choice that does not maximize the enjoyment they can get out of the game. The basic perspective is that given options pick the one which will yield a maximum return for the investment put into it. And a couple of hours a week is no small investment at 7.25 minimum wage most game sessions are worth at least two medium two-topping pizzas from dominoes.

:goonsay:

The example of "what did the Contessa do to you that makes you want to ruin her life?" is a perfect hook to build a mod out of: It offers the players no choice whatsoever, while simultaneously making it all about what they want. However they answer that question does not change the two facts that a question like that hinges on. It does not change that the agency lies with the NPC, and it does not change that something is desired by the PC.

I would suspect your players would still struggle with something that broad initially just from it being a new format: that's okay. if you have to target one player, maybe one that got the least attention that game (assuming they are interested in participating and not doing it as a nicety). Ask that one player the question to start; if more prompting is needed, give a quick overview of the contessa and the city. Still more prompting? use mad-libs as an allegory and tell her to make anything up that she wants.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

at the worst- zetaboards is super learnable. If you can't find anything else you can throw something up there, set the layout how you like with the plethora of design choices and you grab a die rolling script. Bam.

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

Sorry to pester the thread again with questions: Has anyone ever had any success using puzzles in their games? I'd really like to know what worked and what didn't. Every time I try I run into the block of the puzzle not being obvious enough and my players just being utterly stumped. Though I've usually done handout style puzzles with number squares and cryptograms, which may be an indicator that I am in fact a bad GM. :v:

Maybe I'm just not tricking their minds into puzzle mode?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Quantumfate
Feb 17, 2009

I need to GOONSOURCE my game! We've wrapped up playing a short summer campaign, did our playing around with other systems, did our "Let quantumfate play something god-drat it". Now it's time to start up again, going to do a points of light game, trying to be open about worldbuilding, encourage player participation, been a challenge but I think I've let it open enough. I've got my campaign mostly worked out, and I'd like some input and help. Here's my outline so far:

pre:
Sessions
1. The Lonely tower
2. Sandmirks
3. Level 2 at the start. Kalton Manor, Introduce Splug Lugmug
4. Mission to Hammerfast
5. Level 3 at the start Raven Roost Bandits working with Daggerburg
6. Daggerburg goblins, Fat King Muglug
7. Level 4 at the start Into Thunderspire, Rescue mission and Encounter Adventure*
8. Exploration and Encounter Adventure*
9. Chamber of Eyes
10. Level 5 at the start Horned Hold 1
11. Horned Hold 2, Interlude
12. Level 6 at the start Well of Demons 1
13. Well of Demons2
14. Tower of Mysteries
15. Level 7 at the start, Return to Fallcrest, plunder the Sword barrow
16. Encounter Etheran, Start Gardmore cult rumors, Dragon over the Wintermist
17. Level 8 at the start,Something wicked in Nenlast
18. Treason at Gardmore
19. Secrets of Gardmore
20. Temple of Yellow Skulls and Paragon tier reached next session

Encounter Adventures- Thunderspire labyrinth: Cisterns, Lakes full of Lizardfolk, Trogs, Grells, nasties. 
Hall of the Broken Dragon- Kobolds, Drakes, Gricks.
Houses of silence- Minotaur crypts, Demonic summoning circles, hateful undead. 
Palace of Zaamdul-old lair of saruun khel's high priest Demons, undead, few minotaurs.
Tower of thunder- Top of the mountain, shadar-kai witch lives here.
So, obviously this is my plan, roughly levelling after every other session. First question, is this paced too quickly, should I stretch the levels out more? It seems okay to me, already looking at three or four months of sessions. Obviously I plan to run thunderspire labyrinth (and king of trollhaunt warrens if we ever make it that far), is thunderspire paced out about right, or do I need to reconsider the spread? Also, I need some advice on BBEGs! I have paragon worked up as an In-Case, and it starts to delve more into cults and stuff that Thunderspire labyrinth and my plan with Gardmore Abbey/Temple of Yellow Skulls introduce. Epic is still up in the air (If we even get that far). What's the over-arching angle to go with for my cults? I could go with vecna trying to usurp the raven queen, he comes up enough certainly. I'd like to keep him more incidental though, I think. I could go with Tharizdun and the far realms, dark secrets awakening the chained god and lovecraftian horrors from beyond. I could go with Khala, a dead winter-goddess being usurped by a mortal exarch declaring war on the shadowfell and seeking to bring a new ice-age. I could go another angle as well, an ancient lich ala koschei. Doing something with dragons. Throw the suggestions at me if you have them. Currently My story works out like this: Levels 1-4, become heroes and build reputation, cap it off fighting the goblin king. 4-7 in thunderspire labyrinth, still end with paldemar. 7-10 with some more adventuring that all turns out to be the work of a cult rebuilding the Temple of Yellow Skulls.