Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

I don't think something like that is Railroading, though. You have a plot with a point. There's a difference. If your characters want to go dick around, that's fine. There should be no reason they can't. But, you have a plot, and why should you have to forgo that just because you have a player who wants to go poke the rabbits till they explode. I don't think your players will call railroading on you for that, and if they do, they're terrible players anyway.

Just make sure they have a fair chance at getting to the badguy before he manages to do his WORLD ENDING THING, and don't force your players to go along one set route. That's railroading.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

DeclaredYuppie posted:

My players are about to reach "the big city" in the campaign setting, and I'm trying to come up with a way to give the players a tour and sense of scope w/o me just reading a long, boring description.

I keep coming back to the idea of fetch/tour quests like you'd see in WoW or other computer RPGs that force you to tour an area (head down to the docks to deliver this box! Fill it with fish and come back!), but obviously doing something like that in a tabletop game would be pretty bad. However, does anyone have any suggestions that might work along those lines? Minor tasks that engage the players but allows me to lay out some descriptions of the city's areas of importance?

Is there any reason that you have to give them the description all in one big chunk? If they need a description of an area, then can't an NPC give it to them on an as-needed basis? I don't instantly get a description of everything in, say, Boston the second I walk in.

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

The warhammer games can be pretty lethal, but they're also really tied to a specific lore. Burning Wheel never gets to be "LOL 150 HP", but it's very different from other systems.

Fifth Ed mitigates, but doesn't eliminate, that problem. Same with the Epic 6 variant.