Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

if smug was a motorcycle, it just jumped over a fucking canyon
Nap Ghost

Gort posted:

Anyone got any other suggestions for the list, or other ways to deal with a combat game that has no chance of a character dying?

This makes me think of the Death Box from Tenra Bansho Zero. This is a fuzzy secondhand description, but in short, there's a Death Box on the character sheet that only the player can check, and then only voluntarily. If the box isn't checked, their character can't die, but can only be knocked out or maybe captured or what have you. Checking the box indicates that their character is pushing themselves to their utmost limit and risking death - you can check the box in response to a save or incoming damage to completely negate it, or to automatically succeed at some task, and while the box is checked the character receives bonuses to checks and attacks and stuff. But if you die, you dead. Un-checking the box requires a non-trivial amount of rest and recuperation, so you can't just pull out all the stops on a whim, or every fight in a dungeon. I like this system a lot; it gives mechanical weight to the usual unwritten agreement GMs have not to let the party get accidentally TPK'd by three kobolds, but also lets your players Get Nuts and put it all on the line in a dramatic fashion.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost

My Lovely Horse posted:

I'm gonna have to have a talk with my buddy about his characters. He likes playing evil wizards and crazy cultists and generally aligns himself with whoever big player is known for trying to bring down the established forces of good. Which puts me in a tight spot because I want to run adventures for parties that, if they're not part of those established forces, at least work against the same enemies, which are generally, well, evil wizards and crazy cultists.

I know perfectly well that the answer is to put my foot down and tell him no you can't be buddies with the evil dragons and the king of lichs, if anything pick one, or preferrably stick to the agreed game plan and go more antihero. But I do want to go into the talk with some options in the back of my head that can align this guy with the more traditionally good guy party members.

e: it's 13th Age, too, which means there are actual mechanics attached to aligning yourself with the evil dragons and the king of lichs and "there's rival factions within their organizations" is an idea that's occurred to be but I'm not sure it's gonna cut it in the long run.

Put it to him this way: once he helps the party take down the King of Liches, there's going to be the shell of a whole evil organization left over with a conveniently PC-shaped evil power vacuum at its head. And really, if you don't want to melodramatically double-cross your villainous employer, what's even the point.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
A sizable hog (with or without blue ribbon). A ship's wheel. An enormous egg. One of those person-sized chess pieces. Topiary. A stack of dishes, unwashed. A small wheelbarrow. A brass door knocker, with or without grotesque face. The giant grub of a giant insect. An amphora of high-quality olive oil.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
Make sure to tie some other element of the premade adventure into your planned apocalypse, even if it's as simple as one of the enemies also being a double agent for the Evil Cult, or mentioning the enormous comet that has been visible in the sky for the last few weeks.

Ixjuvin
Aug 8, 2009

Nap Ghost
a) you go full grimdark with it, magic is a powerful force that ultimately exacts a terrible price but must be used to keep the forces of darkness at bay, etc.
b) Eberron/13th age style, magic subs in for what we would consider modern technology.
c) just handwave it (the d&d route)
d) make your magical stuff bespoke and tie it into the thematics of your campaign (better for something more storygamey)

At the end of the day I think the existence of magic would have severely bent the arc of history away from the sort of faux-medieval stuff that D&D has forced most fantasy into the shape of, so it's really about how much you want to hurt your brain thinking about hypotheticals instead of spending your effort making a world that's fun to play around in.