Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

How much "homework" is typically required for running a game? I've been running a game based on a module for a few weeks now and we're about to run out of published material, so I'm starting to need to write my own stuff and finding it more than a little intimidating in terms of building NPC's and keeping track of what's happened.

We're going to start using obsidian portal to keep track of a lot of info, so that should take care of a lot of book keeping. I also have trouble keeping the players just informed enough to keep things mysterious, but I feel like every time I give them info the next thing I say is going to expose the whole mystery of the current plot arc. Any advice?

edit: we're playing SIFRP, so the intrigue system in that game makes it extra hard to hide information, a successful intrigue can basically make a character spill his guts.

Cactrot fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Dec 18, 2011

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

illie posted:

I don't know if this is the right place, but I don't really see a general "hey does this game suck?" thread so I'll just ask it here since it moderately pertains to GMing.

An old nerdfriend of mine hasn't played anything in ages, but he's heard there's apparently a Dragon Age RPG and a Song of Ice and Fire RPG out now and he'd really like me to run one of them for him -- he's offering to buy and everything, but he wants me to pick which one we go with. I've only seen the Game of Thrones TV show and I didn't even know what Dragon Age was until recently, so I'm not super familiar with either setting. Once I picked one or the other I figure I'll look into the setting a bit more outside of whatever's in the gaming book. I asked my player about his preferences and what he wants to get out of a game but he says that he just wants to roll with whatever I choose.

Which would you guys recommend over the other? What are some pros and cons of their systems and settings?

I ran SIFRP for a few months and I really did not like it, if you're playing with people that are familiar with the books you can find yourself really shackled by the setting. The rules for social combat are a neat idea but end up taking a lot of time to resolve and unless you're intimately familiar with them, you'll end up spending a lot of game time looking up rules. The combat system is neat, but every combat we ran into seemed to end far too quickly for the players to have fun and it was immediately apparent that one side was completely overpowering the other.

The game also places a lot of emphasis on specialization, so you end up with characters that are purely for fighting, other for intrigue and so on. This makes it so during combat the intrigue focused players feel useless, the same goes for combat focused players during intrigues.

I'd recommend staying away from SIFRP unless everyone REALLY wants to play it.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

God Of Paradise posted:

I have a strange player. For awhile I thought he was a good roleplayer. He gets really into the roleplaying aspect of his character, but over time, I've noticed this turns into him trying to dominate the game session. Now, and he puts this on me as a DM, because I've put his character through so much turmoil, he has decided that he wants to turn his character into a rapist. His rationale is that his character feels powerless having the knowledge that his life is on a small part of "the d&d realms," going to Sigil and finding out that some Sigilians use Faerun as a carnival ride was just too much for him.

So he wants to fantasy rape fantasy people during our game. Nobody else really wants to play this type of game. There are no evil characters. On top of that, he intimated to me that had another player's character not died during a boss fight, he would of coup de grace'd him in his sleep. He'd been planning it for weeks.

This guy... He was sexually molested as a child. Another member of the group, she was a victim of a sexual assault as a child as well, but not on the level he endured from what I heard. She isn't wanting to start raping NPCs though.

My question. Should I simply say no, and if you do that you are not invited any further? Or should I say, no, and you are no longer invited?

Is there any other way to respond to this? One of the other players said that our game reminds him of a Preacher comic. Could this be partially my fault for him thinking this okay in the tone of the game? Or a proper place to vent his demons/fantasize about rape?

Tell him to kill it immediately. if you're creeped out even a little bit, every one else is too. If he doesn't stop, tell him not to come back. Even if it kills the game, the fact that you're sketched out is telling you that you don't want to continue playing the game this way, so tell him to stop or leave.