Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
End game quest is defeating an eldritch horror that becomes more powerful the more people know about it, which enters the library and thus becomes omnipotent, and the players need to get to the 13th library to erase it from the master index.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
So the first thing that comes to mind beyond just the CEO getting crushed to death is for him to be 3d printed, and still alive, into a door or another part of the mansion. The AI starts experimenting with organic raw materials so it's 3d printing the employees into human furniture. And they're either insane and trying to kill the PCs or maybe begging for death.

In terms of wrapping it up, just as the AI needs to print parts of the mansion, it needs to demolish parts in order to recover the materials. So the final boss is some giant construction bot when you decide the session is done, which is a big threat to the PCs but also exposes the inner workings because it lets them get "outside" the mansion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rkaXuC5hrCE

Morrow fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 20, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
Yeah, the trick is balancing the campaign around what the party is good at. You don't want to throw a bunch of charisma or social challenges at them. You also want to keep an eye on their endurance: without a healer they can't bounce back immediately, but monk and fighter (depending on subclass) reset a lot of abilities on a short rest. You can maybe augment them by having some non-combat healer around to patch them up after a fight.

Monks in particular have two weaknesses in combat: large numbers of enemies (crowd control) and ranged (can't throw a fist). Their main approach is a large number of low damage attacks combined with maneuverability. They're often a little squishier than a fighter in pure hitpoints/AC but are better rounded with dexterity and wisdom saves. A monk with stunning strike can absolutely shut down a single opponent though and ensure they never get to take a turn.

The lack of crowd control extends a little to the fighter and ranger, though the ranger may pick up some spells for that. You shouldn't avoid giving them a big group of enemies, just be aware they won't have an I win fireball button. Between the monk's stunning strike and the fighter's capacity for action surge you're going to want them to fight multiple opponents.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 17:02 on Mar 27, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
The politics don't stop even as the Orks invade, anyway. In addition to the drama over who commands the defense, where does the defense take place? Do you fall back to a more secure line that gives better odds, or do you defend an out of the way position that happens to be a major manufactory of a political ally? Who gets the defense contracts, where are the officers for the new planetary defense regiments going to come from?

The Yellow Turban Rebellion didn't topple Han rule, but it gave rise to regional governors and military commanders that later became warlords in the Three Kingdoms period. The Ork threat doesn't need to be a threat, in the sense that it's an apocalyptic battle for the system, but it can be a threat to the status quo that sees political factions reshuffling.

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
When the stars/planets/moons align, a portal opens to the eye of the Fractal storm. Where and when this occurs is constantly shifting and requires a skilled astronomer/diviner to identify, but fortunately ancient druids went and built circles of standing stones in all the potential places it could be for the next thousand years.

They did this because the portal goes two ways: just as someone from the material plane can pass into the heart of the storm, creatures of pure chaos can pass out. The standing stones serve as a magic circle that keeps them contained until the portal closes.

So, players need to find a scholar buddy who can predict this year's convergence, then they need to travel to the darkest jungle/highest mountain/deepest desert where the standing stones were built, and then they need to fight a CR appropriate aberration.

Maybe the standing stones have other defenses, maybe some sort of magical maze or test.

Edit: Oh the fortress itself? Uh it was built in the eye of the storm by a wizard who thought it was the most metal/secure place to have his abode. He filled it with golems to maintain it and defend against incursions from the storm. But now he's been gone for a while and the golems and aberrations are fighting an unending war while the fortress slowly crumbles around them.

Edit2: The wizard got turned into a Slaad and he/the Slaad with his memories had finally reached a rank where he can command his Slaad bros, so they're assaulting the fortress .

Morrow fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Apr 24, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's my turn to DM in a few months and I'm trying to do an actual mystery: the Werewolf of Monte Cristo. The format is rather than having a long-running campaign we reset and do something different for the better part of a year, which lets us shuffle around schedules and rosters a little.

The idea is there's a cabal of powerful dudes (a wizard, a priest, a banker, a noble) who ruined some poor schmuck's life and had him shipped off to fantasy Australia as a prisoner, where he was turned into a werewolf and now like fifteen years later he's coming back to fantasy London as a superpowered serial killer. The players get roped in because they work for/are suspects in the murder of his first target and need to piece together the conspiracy so they can get ahead of the killer.

Is there a good guide to running a mystery online in D&D? As opposed to my usual format of "go to place, kill dude", or "choose which place to go to, kill dude, then go to other place" there's a lot more moving parts where things can go off the rails. I expect I need to really flesh out the social roster and keep track of which NPCs know what, like a social instead of geographic sandbox.

Morrow fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Apr 26, 2024

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
I'll read through all those helpful resources.

Ive explicitly sounded out that they're interested in a more involved game. We are losing the most hack and slash player for this session. While she's gone I figure I might as well try a mystery.

Golden Bee posted:

The other downside of mysteries in DND is spells. The Pathfinder book of entry has a long section on how various spells can be subverted for the purposes of mysteries. If you’re running a game just to run a mystery, you can just tell the players those spells don’t exist in the world.

I'm probably going to curate a level range/class choices that precludes a lot of that. I'm vibing like a 4-8 range but need to check through spells available.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Morrow
Oct 31, 2010
It's an Edge of Tomorrow-style deal where the villain can keep rolling back time after he loses because of a MacGuffin, so after the players beat him for real they suddenly reset to right outside the room but now they know something is very wrong. A friendly magical NPC shows up and tells them that he's protecting their memories, and in this fight they need to make sure they get it off his body before he feels like he is losing.