Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Perry Mason Jar posted:

Besides that what motivation could the necro have for adventuring with the group? Sure I could shoehorn in a reason but what's to stop them from kicking him out of the group once that adventure wraps up (campaign's going to continue indefinitely)?

Off the top of my head, the necromancer realizes that traveling with the party provides an easy way to protect himself while he slowly gets more and more powerful and helping these chumps do their thing is a reasonable sacrifice to make that happen.

And yeah, death to alignment. Talk to the rest of the players and try to smooth things over before the game starts, if they're reasonable people they won't give a poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Pharmaskittle posted:

who says necromancy is inherently evil?

Doesn't matter, in-character arguments are the worst way to resolve this. Sit the other players down and tell them "hey, this dude's my friend and he wants to play in this game, he's never played before,let's cut him a little slack." Chances are if anybody really can't accept that, the game's going to crash and burn anyway and that's definitely the most reasonable way to go about this

e: didn't mean for that to sound like an ultimatum, more like what you should be arguing. Chances are that if your group seriously just can't work around that fairly reasonable request the game's either going to hit some hardcore drama somewhere down the way and explode or no one's going to want to play after a while, so it's better to find that out now

Fungah! fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 7, 2011

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

Markus the Horrific

Wow. OK, off the top of my head, an AoE at-will prone as a minor action is crazy overpowered at this level, the aura gives all ranged PCs the choice between being worthless and getting splattered by one of his AoEs, and 10 damage is an obscene amount of damage to be throwing around the first time somebody hits him every round, especially with that HP total. You said your party doesn't really know what they're doing? Then this guy's going to pick his golem-teeth with their bones. I'd say reduce the penalty on the aura to a -2 at most, redo the ground pound to not knock all melee characters prone, and lower the damage on the counterattack and maybe the grab to 5

On the flip side, if your party's got some way to keep him dazed, he's seriously handicapped. Like, to the point that the fight becomes a boring slugfest that he'll invariably lose, but only after a long grind of a fight. If you want to stop that, instead give him some extra partial turns every round. Like, say he gets a free standard action on his initiative count plus five and his initiative minus five that aren't affected by daze. That'll make sure that whatever happens, he's doing something on his turn

I feel like if you do all this, he's still going to need a few more actions, and ones that don't just do damage. Maybe some ways to create difficult terrain or throw out some status effects? Or maybe throw in some terrain for him and the PCs to interact with.

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

OK, so I run an Eberron campaign (because Eberron is a cool setting for handsome people) and I was thinking about running a session or two based off something I found in one of the 3e Eberron lorebooks called the Race of Eight Winds. Basically, the contestants square off on a bunch of flying pavement stones, get some low-grade weapons, and go hog wild on a bunch of flying monsters. The winner is the one to bag the most kills.

Problem is, I'm not sure exactly how to run it. A skill challenge sounds like the best way to do it; I can track how well each PC is doing, and if one of the PCs doesn't feel like competing directly, they can be one of the schmucks on the ground stopping other people from cheating and knocking the PCs out of the game (and probably cheating like motherfuckers themselves). I'm really not terribly good at writing skill challenges, though; they always seem to turn into lovely dice-offs that no one really likes. Any thoughts on how to do this well? I feel like this is a cool concept that'll work as a great wind-down from the adventure arc they've been on for the last couple of levels

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Doc Hawkins posted:

Is there a time limit to this contest? Why not just set up a combat or three with a huge number of whatevers (or a moderate number, with more whatevers being placed on the edge of the board every turn), tell the players it'll be over in N turns, and decide ahead of time how many kills they need to win?

I seriously didn't think of that. It'd probably be easier that designing a skill challenge from the ground up at least. I'll try coming up with some special movement rules and terrain that'll make it fit the idea of the contest better

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

UrbanLabyrinth posted:

Not sure where you got that from, but the RoEW is literally a race between eight flying mounts (and their riders). It's a full-contact race, but it's hardly a 'kill all the flying monsters' competition.

See http://www.wizards.com/default.asp?x=dnd/ebds/20041220a for more details.

Huh, well then. The version I was reading in Sharn: City of Towers was pretty bare-bones, and I guess I didn't read it closely enough. It just says something like "Galifar II liked watching people flying around on critters so the city has a big thing in the sky a year!" and I guess I misinterpreted that pretty heavily

Actually, I definitely misread it, because it specifically talks about using flying mounts, not skystones or anything. That's what I get for trying to come up with sessions when I'm sleep-deprived, I guess. Whatever, I like my idea and I think my players will too, I'm just going to roll with it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fungah!
Apr 30, 2011

Lord Twisted posted:

Hey guys, I just need some ideas.

My party is caught up in a large undead assault on a city, which is going to last 2 ingame days (2 waves). They've already ventured below the city to defuse a series of bombs laid by undead sympathisers (defused 2, one detonated), and are on the way to save the Justicar-General of the city's Paladin order, who is pinned down by flesh golems and needs someone to take out the controlling necromancer.

I have the finale of the battle written up nicely, but I need 1-2 more "filler" things for them to do during it. I thought hold off a massive wave of minions in a broken bit of wall maybe would be good, but its all getting a bit combat heavy. Bearing in mind that there will be a lull in the violence, what kind of things can you guys think of for RP?

Maybe have a bit of a role-playing thing slash skill challenge where they have to rally the citizens to prepare for the final assault? Maybe even split it up so that half the party's trying to rally the city against the undead horde and the other half's tracking down and eliminating the last of the undead sympathizers in the city? Throw in the minion thing and there's two good fillers right there.