Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Zodack posted:

My last mini-BBEG my party waylaid involved them casting Hold Person and me rolling so poorly that they held him for probably five or six rounds. It ended up working out as half the party was cocksure and fighting him and he was designed for all five to fight him and not three, but it still felt a little uninspired when my group every turn and this guy in a corner and were thwacking him with basic attacks over and over

Legendary actions and resistances. Use then liberally.

So last session my players defeated a mage-king who was attempting to attain godhood, blah blah blah the usual evil wizard stuff. They managed to secure the wizards throne, which was infused with the accumulated souls of dead gods and archdevil's, damaging it in the process but it wss more or less intact.

The party's dragon descendant sorceror decided he wanted to take the throne and gain whatever power was left in it. I let him, but made it clear that he would lose control of his sorceror as whatever malignant entity had formed in the thrones confines would take control of him. He did it anyway, despite the rest of the party trying to keep him from doing so. I ended the session after taking his character sheet.

Now though, he's messaging me that he wants to walk back on that and keep his character. Should I let him do so, or come up with some quest the players can undertake to return him to normal? Or do I just let him live with the consequences of his poorly considered actions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
It's definitely an OC roll back that our sorceror wants to do. Like turn back the clock just before he sits on the throne.

Whybird posted:

The way I would deal with it is this: talk to the player group as a whole -- have the player explain that they're having second thoughts about having their character heel-turn and talk about how they feel and why they're uncertain, explain your concerns, and make a decision as a group: not about what you should do in this case, but what you should do as a general policy going forwards when a player thinks they've made a decision that is going to result in them not having fun.

I'm leaning toward this as well. I think I'm going to suggest an IC way to accomplish this, but I want the group to be in on this kind of decision.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

DivineCoffeeBinge posted:

Note that there is a particular type of player for whom "derailing the plot my GM had intricately planned out" is a feature and not a bug.
I actually love it when my players derail my plans. Because if they're just going along with what I tell them, why not just play a video game?

Alright, so DM question time. A new player was introduced to our group about six months ago, and she'd never played any tabletop game before then. Things have been going well, and she has really come out of her anxious and shy behaviour from the first few sessions and engaged in role playing and party decisions. One thing I like doing with my players is having them flesh out something of my setting and making some side stories based on their backgrounds. When she first joined, she told me in private that she did not want to have the spotlight on her like that, that she was uncomfortable with it, etc. Of course I did as she asked, but now that I've seen her grow as a player I'm wondering if I should try and include something for her character. I wouldn't just surprise her with it in game, I'd ask her privately if it were okay and give her my reasons for it, that she seems more comfortable with the group and rolepalying, etc.

Would this be a good idea? What sort of approach should I take with this, since she has had issues with anxiety in the past? Like I said, I'm not keen on just dropping it on her in the middle of a session, it would be hashed out with her beforehand to make sure she's okay with it. But I am cocnerned that maybe I will send her the wrong sort of message and unintentionally suggest she must do these things.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
If they're dungeon crawling, steal some ideas from MMO raids.. You don't need to steal the exact mechanics (a lot of them won't work on tabletop anyway), but look at them for inspiration. For example: the boss is immune to any damage, but he has adds which emit radiant light and when killed the adds drop sparkling swords. These swords when used by the players can tear down the boss' immunity. Or to steal something from Destiny, you don't need to kill the boss - turns out he's actually been killed, at least physically. But his heart remains and must be destroyed, so one player has t o take up the heart (maybe it does damage over time to them so they can't just sit around) and they have to move to the place you destroy the heart while adds spawn trying to stop you.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I'm looking for some interesting things to do with players who made a tactical withdrawal against a demon cult in our last session. They stumbled into the cult preparing for a sacrifice to summon a powerful demon to possess one of them. The party managed to rescue the sacrifice and kill a good amount of the 20 person cult, but didn't feel they could manage to fight the rest of the cultists and their leader. They withdrew to the safety of a hideout in the city sewers.

The victim in this case was the nephew of one of the leaders in an empire's civil war. The cultists wanted royal blood but were willing to settle for this (thus, if the party let the sacrifice go through there's a good reason for the demon to be kind of weak). So now the cult is technically still around but lacks a worthy sacrifice. However, the players recently delivered by accident the princess and heir to the legitimate emperor into the hands of the usurper.

What i was thinking was that the cult could make a last ditch effort to get acquire actual royal blood. The only problem is that the princess isn't kept in an easily infiltrated dungeon. She's kept in the city's palace apartments, under distant guard but otherwise treated very well as a political prisoner. It seems far fetched that a small cult of about 12 and a few demons could pose that much of s threat to the contingent of soldiers plus the players.

I could have the cult follow the party into the sewers but that seems kind of brutal, and having the cult just disappear until a better time seems uninteresting.

Any ideas?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Kaiser Schnitzel posted:

How have y'all justified/made logical sense of high-magic settings?

In my campaign, the empire the party is in has magic under tight control. Using magic leaves behind radiation and a sort of "residue" from barely noticeable (cantrips and first level stuff) to lighting up like a beacon to those trained to notice such things (like level 9 spells). The imperial forces use special anti-magic special forces to track down and kill or recruit magic users. Warlocks, druids, and sorcerers are all just straight up banned and are kill on sight for these guys. Clerics are the inquisitor class in this police structure. Bards and wizards, having to study their magic, are more controllable and can be sanctioned. Those capable of wielding magic are extremely rare, so much so that the vast majority of the people within the empire can go their whole lives without seeing any magic outside of, like, a village witch or shaman. It does exist in large quantities though, especially on the fringes and borders of the empire.

The reason for the tight control is that magic always has a huge price to pay, even if it isn't noticeable right away, and monsters are attracted to magic. So in places where there are magic items, there are tons of monsters. Of course, it's also convenient that those who decide what magic is sanctioned are themselves powerful magic users, and make sure nobody can really threaten their position at the top. This control is under a lot of pressure as the empire is in the midst of a once-4-way-now-3-way civil war (after the party accidentally obliterated their allies of convenience).

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Some metagaming is inevitable and can't be helped. You can't expect someone to pretend to be ignorant of how dangerous a beholder is if they've played DnD before. But when it verges on harming everyone else's enjoyment of the game then it's time for disciplinary action.

In other news, I gave the swashbuckler in my playgroup a fae-enchanted rapier. It's +1 and polymorphs its target on a critical hit. Should it just cast polymorph, or should I make a random table full of weird and wacky things that can happen?

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I got lost in the weird discussion on the ethics of meta gaming.

My Lovely Horse posted:

I feel like "fae-enchanted" and "cursed" should, at best, be an academic difference and the subject of ongoing debate, and for all intents and purposes synonymous.

Yeah this is pretty much the approach I'm taking with the fae in my setting. Not "random" as is usually implied, but like "i don't know what this magic does and neither does the enchanter" sort of thing. It's a tough rope to walk, and i don't want it to be "lol theyr so random."

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I'm not familiar with Eberron and the Mournland, but I feel like if there's strange monsters and weird poo poo going on there would be a black market smuggling some of those abominations and materials to other kingdoms. Stuff like a bored noble housewife wanting a triple-lion-headed lizard as a pet, or rich youths wanting to try some new narcotic extracted from monster residue. To go along with the company of scoundrel mercs, they could be the ones who set out to gather these illicit creatures/substances. It would be a fun adventure, with some of the mercs talking to your party about a monster that got loose near town and they need it taken care of quietly, or helping them catch an elusive, legendary monster. Or side with the city guard, whatever is left of it anyway, and root out these smugglers before they gently caress up and let some monsters out.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
I always though dungeons was just what you called that building you're stabbing monsters in. Above ground, under ground, fortress, tower, cave; they're all classified as dungeon to me, baby.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
A few sessions ago my players encountered a fellow who traded favours, obviously supernatural in nature. Basically they could call on him to do something for them, but his side of the bargains would increase in severity until they were basically committing horrible crimes. One session they asked him for a favour, but it was the end of the session and I was getting tired and didn't want to think of an actual bargain so he put it on "credit." Since then they've added quite a bit to their account, so they owe him a substantial favour.

So what are some fun, weird, morally compromising things a powerful supernatural bargain-maker can get them to do? I was thinking of the evil overlord they're opposing buying out their contract and having them kill the king/destabilize the realm/terrorism.

For reference, the party is a criminal rogue with a heart of gold, a warlock serving a powerful forest spirit (homebrew patron), a sorcerer running from religious authorities, a ranger formerly under the employ of the overlord but left after being ordered to kill innocents, and a redemption paladin seeking atonement for the same event.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Whybird posted:

They need to persuade someone deeper in debt to the bargainer than they are to pay up. The bargainer simply tells them to go to this location and remind a person matching a description that 'your debt is due' -- they simply have to keep saying this to him until he agrees. Each time they say 'your debt is due' he reacts with fear, horror and physical pain, and begs them to stop and tell the bargainer he's dead.

If they insist, he eventually snaps and agrees, looking defeated. The next time they encounter him he's swinging from a gibbet after having attempted to assassinate the King.

This is a fantastic option. Maybe he'll specifically ask the paladin since he's real good at talking to people.

Morpheus posted:

The fun comes from when the characters realize the effects their 'small' favour will have, and their attempts to stop/curtail the result.

This group overthinks everything so they'll absolutely fall into a thought spiral over the smallest tasks.

Thanks, everyone. THese are much more interesting options than what I had thought up.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Is there any good voice changing software for discord or is compatible with discord? I think it would be really neat to have unique voices for the villain in my campaign. I know like giving myself a woman's voice or whatever is impossible, but something that can make my already easy baritone into something rumbly.

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos

Dameius posted:

Nah, it's the threat of doing it. If it is the future/present setting then BBEG sends a video to the PC while sitting on their mom's bed and let the implications torture. If Ye Olden Days then a courier delivers a taunting letter with the mom's necklace that she keeps hidden in the back of her armoire or whatever. Regardless of setting BBEG goes on about what a wonderful time they had with PC's mom. She cooked a lovely ${appropriately.old.fashioned.dish}, and they lost track of time enjoying the night away.
I did this once, but then the players did something unexpected and found out the bbeg has genuine feelings for the mom. They convinced him to give up on his schemes and retire with her to some nice island villa. He was also instrumental in helping the players defeat the even bigger, badder evil guy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Panderfringe
Sep 12, 2011

yospos
Has anyone played Mothership? It's my groups annual holiday hiatus, abd the few of us left want to try some smaller games. We want to do a side story to our sci-fi/fantasy 5e campaign, and Mothership seems like a great way to do a few sessions as regular normal people in the world.