Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer
So, I'm about to run a Humblewood campaign for 5 of my friends, and this will only be my second campaign after running through the Starter Set adventure. I felt like I struggled with NPC interactions, mainly figuring out the voices and generating congruent answers from them on the fly. I also had some trouble getting the players engaged in the story. Maybe that was just the Mines of Phandelver story not being so compelling, or (likely) had to do with my inexperience. They all told me they enjoyed it, but I'm sure a lot of DM's know the self-doubt that comes with running these games :sweatdrop: . Any input, tips, resources, etc. You fine folks have would be appreciated. Has anyone else ran Humblewood? Any hiccups or weirdness I should know about to maybe rework a bit? I want to play off the balance of the four elements being disrupted and that's why the Aspect of Fire initially appeared, and why it's presence still lingers in the Grove, as well as the tensions between the birdfolk and humblefolk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Sanford posted:

Just with regard to NPCs, a big thing for me was putting in mannerisms that buy you some thinking time. Say something like "she rocks back in her chair, sucking her teeth as she considers your question" or "he stares wistfully into the distance, you see a small frown cross his face as he thinks." Speak slowly, do the face - you can buy yourself ten seconds of thinking time and no one will notice. If you're really thrown off, throw it back - "why should I tell you that?" or "who's asking? what do you know?" or whatever. If they've thrown you off by sating stuff that would surprise the NPC, challenge it! My players have absolutely hosed a social encounter before by introducing knowledge they knew but their characters didn't.

drat, that's a phenomenal idea. Thank you! It didn't even occur to me to play with that to gather my thoughts before responding. Also, your campaign sounds awesome :sun:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Maybe one thing you could add to this spymaster as a Flaw is that he's very vain, and likes to have a signature 'calling card' to his machinations. So, as the party is doing things and always just missing him, or uncovering mysteries/dealing with killers/groups hired by him to do his bidding, etc. They'll find his thing. Maybe he's developed a network into a secret society of sorts that has like, an old coin as their mark to each other. Or perhaps he has a stylized symbol like a raven or vulture or whatever that he likes to sign all his letters to his lackeys with. Perhaps it's a tattoo that he has them all have, or just a signature MO to his schemes that can easily be recognized as a pattern(start subtle and make it glaringly obvious later on if they don't pick it up).

Knowing that they're up against a consistent foe that's always hanging in the shadows and working against them through hints like that is very fun, I think. Especially if they can capture a high-level member of this guy's secret society/agent/gang/whatever you flavour it as and use that as a way to give the players some information on his future plans so they can start trying to get ahead of him

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

You wanna know what really motivates players who don't want to play along with the story hooks that you're trying to drop in? Taking away something they've grown to like having, and make them go out and get it back. Of course, the way to get it back involves hitting some of your cool decision points and dramatic scenes too (but don't stomp all over the player's agency either!). Make sure the rewards along the way of getting their Thing/Person/Situation back make it well worth their while, too.

So, perhaps another rogue trader faction that's already running an operation in this region of space has taken notice to the party cutting into their business interests and profits, and have them come in and start interfering and going after the players. If they really like this idea of dealing with a rival group, then really lean into it, make a cool captain NPC as the head of their ship or group or whatever.

Or perhaps have one of the imperial groups start to notice their operation once it gets really successful, and explore how that'll play out with their situations.

Oh, they're wearing environment suits in an area that you'd like to have something cool happen? Oh, one of their suits is having a malfunction and they have to roll well to fix it or get back to their ship. Or, perhaps a roving pack of baddies comes up and tries to grapple one of the party, and if successful on that they try to pull their environment suit helmet off. Don't force the situation if their plan and rolls totally go their way. But you gotta introduce complications that they have to work through. Mechanical equipment fails due to chaotic influences or plain wear and tear, some creatures are intelligent enough to try to violate the integrity of their suits, etc. Etc.

And ultimately, if they're having more fun with the planning and roleplaying more than combat all the time, then make sure to respect that too!

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 07:30 on Sep 3, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
E: sorry don't know why I double posted.. was supposed to be an edit. Awful app being weird or something

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
This thread is awesome, so I'd like some inspiration. One of my players expressed an interest in gambling. They wanted to play a blackjack style game, so I just had him and the dealer roll contested straight intelligence checks for about ten rounds, before I had him move on from that.

Do any of you have some good suggestions for a light gambling system, maybe like 2-4 mini games that are interesting, rules light, and quick? The rest of the party seemed kinda intrigued after that player was done gambling away half of the party's gold :sweatdrop: . I do have a laptop, a projected screen on my tabletop, and a monitor nearby, as well as decks of cards and whatnot.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

admanb posted:

my GM instinct is to figure out why your players want this? If they want to play poker maybe you should just schedule a poker night? If they just want a quick way to make in-game money you shouldn't put that much effort into it.

Their character's backstory has them as the son of a rich merchant, who's gotten in trouble before for blowing money and tarnishing the family's reputation. They wanted to get a quick gambling fix and get more gold for some magic items in town to impress the rest of the party. It also let me introduce another section of the main settlement in the region that they hadn't even thought to explore yet too

E:

Lamuella posted:

One suit poker with d12s. 1s are aces, 12s are queens, no kings, all the usual hands apply with an added max hand of five of a kind.

Oh I do like this, thanks! All but one person at the table likes poker anyways, this can be good for a few quick rounds of gambling!

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Sep 14, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

How do y'all plot your campaign storylines? I used to be real meticulous about plot points but I've switched over to a bullet point outline and don't really plan head further than 2 or 3 sessions. I have a general ending I'm aiming for, but the last time I really tried to plan a story out, the party killed a big bad way too early and threw that in shambles! Can't believe they rolled so drat high on their grapple checks...

I really like this method of approaching it, I'm adapting a prewritten module (Humblewood) using it to add in the character's backstory's and massively expand on each phase of the setting book so we get more mileage out of this campaign, adjusting difficulty levels as we go.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p9qQ4Yk6i4E

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PVelBbXcYCE

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

How would you approach a player creating a character in D&D5e, but their stats are kinda all over the place and they don't do any one thing particularly well because of it?

One of the players in my next campaign made a warlock whose highest stat is 15 (point buy, not rolling stats) and that includes all stat bonuses. Outside of their stats, they've also chosen to use a spear, which being a strength weapon and her character having +0 strength, means she's hitting things at just her proficiency bonus.

This isn't their first 5e character and they know the mechanics of the game fairly well (they're deep into BG3 like I'm sure many of you are).

Is she going to be a hex blade warlock? As long as that 15 stat is charisma, that's one great way that she can make that character and weapon combo work, as she can use her charisma modifier for her weapon attacks

E: and you can always re-flavour the hex blade ability to be in line with alternative patron ideas they have, rather than it being related to the shadowfell it can be a holy weapon for instance, or a cursed blade, or a weapon made by some fey entity or whatever

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 20:04 on Sep 22, 2023

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Verisimilidude posted:

She chose fathomless as her patron, so no hexblade.

I decided I'm gonna approach it from the perspective where, so long as she's aware of her choices, and how they might impact her capability to succeed in combat, I'm good with her choices.

If she knows what she's getting herself into and has something in mind, that's fine (even if it doesn't really work). I'll leave it open for her to switch her stats around if she decides it needs some tweaking though.

Yeah, I would maybe just offer her the choice to re-flavour hex blade as a Spear.. or a trident? :devil: that came from some entity from deep in the plane of Water or something, and maybe let her swap a spell or three between their spell lists to some more water-themed stuff if she wanted. If she still wants to stick with her choice, then yeah, let it be and offer her a one time respec or whatever if she's unsatisfied later

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

What's a reasonable amount of distance that a party can travel in a day? I'm planning on an outdoor scenario with some overland travel. Points of interest will include a few miles of swamp, a large forest, and some caves with ruins inside. I was thinking about doing a 20-30 mile overland map then have some random encounters rolled as the party travels.

Basically, my party is tasked with gathering a few McGuffins to unblock the path to the rest of their adventurer. The last few sessions have been inside a dungeon, so I wanted to give some outdoor encounters a shot.

I've really been digging this Channel's takes on DM'ing, he's really condensed down a crazy amount of DM advice in such a good way. He's got a great video on overland travel.

https://youtu.be/pOKkrbPdsPA?si=aOarJLD6IYzXSEqs

I also like the idea of borrowing from BG3 and converting everyone's rations and water supplies into a single party-wide Camp Supply resource, that is expended each long rest when not in a tavern or other accommodations, and limiting the maximum of supplies that can be carried based on the party's total strength modifier or something, and which levies a point of exhaustion if not used during a rest.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

I had a nasty surprise this session when one of my players announced he was firing his shoulder-mounted autocannon! He's been running around purchasing things outside of sessions and now has a truly ludicrous arsenal; he's way out of whack with the other players. He also announced that due to a special rule it counts as twin-linked. He pretty much single-handedly ruined the combat encounter, which the players were supposed to lose, and turned a fight with overwhelming odds into a three-hour slog the players actually won. Kind of wrecked the whole session.

How do you approach this kind of egregious power-gaming without bringing the whole session to a halt? Or do you just bring the session to a halt and say you're not putting things on your character sheet between sessions?

You're going to have to have a private talk to this player about the fact that Absolutely Nothing Happens on a character sheet or their inventory, except when you are part of the loop. During a session when a player pulls out something like that without talking to your first, you can just say, No, you do not have those weapons, because you didn't talk to me about it and find an appropriate vendor to buy those items during the session. Sheesh, purchasing things outside the session.. seriously, where did this individual even get this ludicrous idea?

And also make a general note to the whole group during your next session that only actions that happen at the table or after discussion with you, are actions that happen in the world.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Vargatron posted:

As others have said, you need to talk to him 1 on 1 about this. idk anything about 40k, but I would totally not allow this at all in my 5E game. Honestly, I'd almost retcon his equipment back to standard levels.

I would also retcon it all out. It's a flagrant violation of table etiquette

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

gurragadon posted:

I've never read the ruleset to 40kRP but it's encouraged to buy stuff out play without telling the GM or other players? If it is, then what the player did seems to be what the creators intended so I guess I couldn't knock it too much and sounds like the player is just a power gamer.

In any game tabletop game I've played before, it's against the rules to just buy stuff out of game without telling the GM. If it is in this game as well then just tell the player they can't keep the items and you screwed up letting them use it last session. Take fault so they don't feel as bad about what they did. If they are still don't want to change the character to improve the experience for everyone than I would use in game measures to bring the player back to an appropriate power. Seems like the 40kRP game has a few in it so if a player wants to be a target then let them be.

You can also tell them no, and if they make a big stink about their superweapons being taken away, you can also just ask them to leave if they won't respect you or the rest of the table

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Dameius posted:

"I'm really enjoying the time we're spending together but am not really feeling this game. Should we switch this time to just hanging out or try a new game, with possibly a new person at the DM helm? If y'all want to continue with this game, can we agree to some changes on how these sessions are going and maybe offload some of the ancillary game tasks I'm currently doing such as..."

Put it in your own voice.

:hmmyes:

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Zoeb posted:

In the defense of my friends, who can be passive and never read the rules. They are my friends first and my players second. Running a nerd game was my idea and they aren't big into gaming. We just do it when we hang out. So asking them to read a rulebook is a big ask.

You should really try a rules-light game like Root. I think you and your players would like it better.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

Ten books?

The last time I invested time to read a series with thst kind of heft was “wheel of time” by Robert Jordan and JRRM.

The GoT poo poo never finished because it was a (poo poo) TV show instead, and after making me wait twenty years for the goddamn ending of his over indulgent crap Robert Jordan loving died before finishing his magnum opus.

So I ask:

killer battle scenes aside, is the story worth it?

Is the series finished? Because I’m never again picking up a series until the author completes it.

I know, I know. Book Barn is thataways.

Check out the Legend of the Galactic Heroes novel series, it's in a sci-fi space opera setting but there are so many great characters to steal, and the character arcs of the two main protagonists are rife with great examples of how to build up and scale up a plot as a character goes from zero to hero. It's basically late 1800s imperial Germany hubris vs. democratic American corruption, the Space Opera

Or just watch the original anime adaptation :sun:

Mederlock fucked around with this message at 17:08 on Jan 25, 2024

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Agrikk posted:

When they are both dead, I hope GRRM and Robert Jordan get to spend eternity locked in a room together a la Huis Clos in which George gets to read Robert endless rapey stabby passages and Robert gets to read George endless passages on lace patterns/hairstyles/bosoms/tsks of irritation.

Let's add Patrick Rothfuss to this scene, he's part of this cadre of never releasing the final part of a series too.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Morpheus posted:

5e is fine for first-timers, it's all just about how stringent you are with the rules, how much combat you decide to include, etc. There are systems that are lighter in rules with more RP, or focus more on short adventures without levelling up or anything, but 5e is alright.

If none of you have played that's ideal, you can make poo poo up as you go

I'm somewhat experienced at DM'ing, and I'm halfway through this book and it's now my go to recommendation for other GM's, in addition to the Return of the Lazy Dungeon Master by Mike Shea. It's got a really well thought out structure that puts the important bits out up front, the principles the author is teaching are very strong, and it's got lots of resources to get you started. 10/10 Would recommend both, but get the other book before you get the Lazy DM one

https://www.amazon.com/You-Want-Game-Master-Adventure_for/dp/1645679152/

https://www.amazon.com/Return-Lazy-Dungeon-Master-Michael/dp/1726631826/

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

This is a really dumb question but:

how do I do villain exposition?

I have all sorts of villains who have no particular means or motive to communicate their deal to the players, but that's boring!

You're running Rogue Trader, yeah? It's best to do things like that not through some BBEG monologue revealing the scope of their plan or bragging about how cruel and terrible they are, but instead present that information through other NPC's and reminders in the world.

For example, have victims of the bad guy, or maybe their captured cronies give up information about them as they're being interviewed or interrogated, respectively. Have small voice or video recordings left in an area where the bad guy had done something bad to further their aims, perhaps from someone's personal data recorder, a half broken servitor, the surveillance system, et cetera. Have the villain's story also be told how they impact their environment, their flavour of corruption, destruction, a calling card symbol they like to use that ties a crime to them, stuff like that.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Data cards and logbook recordings, maybe some defunct but barely functional servitors are stuck in a loop repeating some info, you can have some desperate people scrawl out warnings in blood on walls, maybe the ship's system's machine spirit's could communicate with their personal computers/tablets/whatever

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Arglebargle III posted:

My players continue to throw me for a loop. They now have their light cruiser pacified, and I was planning to have them tow it back and launch into a siege episode where they would have to rush through its repairs in order to fend off an invasion. Or maybe they could go do a mystery adventure if they're not ready to go home. But now they want to stash it in deep space and go home! So there's not really any narrative hook, they just want to regroup and now if I fire the siege plot their new ship won't be threatened. They keep foiling all my plans...

The eternal curse of the DM.

One Of Us, One Of Us

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd honestly springboard several campaigns off this setting in the future, to get the most value out of your effort invested in it. The setting of random colony ships popping up in different areas and times also really makes it easy to spin up a new campaign in the setting whenever the need arises.