Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese
I am using the new monster builder to create a "final boss" for my players Paragon levels. It is a party of 4 and I plan on having this showdown happen when they are level 20.

Here is the stat block I have so far, is it too much? Too little? I don't have a lot of experience with high level creatures and this fight is a long long way away, but I was just looking for some feedback.

Click here for the full 440x746 image.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese

tendrilsfor20 posted:

Two things: Why does she have an aura 2 that makes her fire attacks better, and then her at-will power pushes targets out of that aura?

And 2, really, Wizards? You can't build a drat "Monster Builder" program that lets us use your silly "dice side" images for recharging?

Both are good points, but to the one I can answer, I wanted something to hassle the two or three melee fighters with to get out of flanking, would replacing it with a push 1+knockdown or perhaps slide 2 be better?

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese
Great suggestions guys, gives me a lot to think on. Right now I've only got a party of 4 level 3 players, Warlock, Warlord, Paladin and either a ranger or a wizard (he hasn't decided which he wants to play.) They aren't the most tactically minded group, but there are 17 levels in between now and then for them to pick things up.

I'm intending the fight to actually end when she gets bloodied, so some minions might be perfect to spice things up. The basic gist of the plot here is that this Dragon Cult has been using the Red Witch to channel energy into to resurrect Tiamat (who died some 1000 years or so beforehand) but the Red Witch doesn't know that, she thinks that shes just gaining the power to become a goddess herself in Tiamat's stead.

What the players don't know is that their weapons are artifacts made to channel the user's life essence and the essence collected over the course of their adventures (each one is themed around a chromatic dragon) into the Red essence (the witch.) Resulting in enough energy to bring back Tiamat. The OH poo poo moment happens when she hits bloodied and Tiamat is resurrected and then basically flies off because shes got better poo poo to do than play with the party. Then they go into Epic Tier with Tiamat as the BBEG.

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese

Countblanc posted:

This is really cool. Make sure you have an explanation for the PCs as to why they never noticed their weapons were feeding the big bad energy, and why each magic weapon they happened to find and use was the same way.

The transference of power won't take place until this fight, once the witch gets bloodied, the energies will surge from their items into her.

Basically the way I have it set to work is that the weapons store the life energy of the creatures they kill, as well as siphoning off the player's own life force, fueling the power of the weapons and increasing the weapons power over time. But since the players life energy is still with them technically, they won't notice they are being drained.

I'm treating the weapons similar to artifacts, when they get to certain levels the item becomes a higher enchantment bonus version of the base magic weapon and then tacking on a few extra abilities. I have also tailored each item to the characters so its something that fits in with them thematically and will be something they grow attached to. As far as them keeping the magic item, I have a couple thoughts about that, where appropriate, I have had the items "bond" with the PC and if anyone else other than that PC touches it, they feel uncomfortable or even take some minor damage of the appropriate elemental type.

For example, the warlord in my game has had his sword since he was in warlord school (or whatever) and in his character history he had put that it had some old Draconic runes etched into the blade that had been worn and marred over the years. As the sword has been growing in power, the runes have started to become cleared and anyone other than the warlord who touches the sword feels it as very very cold and uncomfortable to touch (his is the white dragon item.)

Another thought would be similar to The One Ring, if they get rid of it, it will somehow find its way back. I figure it would be pretty interesting if someone sells their item, and then a few months down the line they get attacked by bandits wielding their former item.

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese
Do you guys have any ideas for a walled town defense scenario? In my next game session, my players will be helping a town defend itself against a group of roughly 300 hobgoblins/goblins/gnolls with the occasional heavy like an ogre or troll thrown in for living siege machinery. The first part of the encounter is setting up defenses, that's a pretty straightforward skill challenge, but I didn't want the second half to be just straight combat. The town has walls surrounding it on 3/4s with a large lake at the other 1/4th. The town also has a standing constabulary as well as a rallyable militia. I could just have them fight some focused skirmishes against the heavier combatants and then just narrate the rest. But I don't want to take too much out of the hands of the players. At the very least I want to give them something out of the ordinary to work with, maybe popping magical flares to mark targets for the archers on the wall to focus on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fitz
Sep 10, 2002
King of Cheese
Thanks for all the ideas guys. What I think I will do is just set up a few set piece encounters while having a skill encounter also going. For example, say they need to get through the enemies' lines to get to an ogre who is pelting the wall with boulders, they'll have to make athletics acrobatics or stealth checks to get to the encounter, with failures resulting in a loss of healing surges, rather than actually running a combat between them and 30 goblins. Then during combat they can potentially do something to either attract the archers on the walls attention to a target or maybe call in mounted cavalry or something as sort of an encounter power for the fight.

EDIT: What I'll also be doing is making rolls for the bad guys as a whole and the town, with bonuses to each depending on their success or failure on the skill challenge for setting up defenses and things they do while out in the field. Some examples, if they reinforce the gates, the town will get a bonus to its defense against a battering ram. Conversely, if the players haven't killed the ogres hurling boulders, then the baddies get a bonus to attacks against the town.

Fitz fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 5, 2010