Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

Veth posted:

How do people handle absenteeism and experience? Traditionally, I've always ran games where, if you aren't present, you don't get any XP. This has been just fine for everyone so far. Recently, one player got pissy that he didn't get any XP for a session he missed. He told me what his character would be doing, which is fine as an explanation as to where the character was during the session, but it seems to defeat the purpose of having people show up to play if it's treated as a substitute.

I don't like the "I gave my sheet to soandso to play" argument. If it was just about having your stats handy, I could add NPCs as needed to balance things.

This is an Exalted game, if it matters.

For all the games I've been in, it depends on how XP is awarded in the game.

If XP is a thing the players get (for instance, a game that awards a flat 1000 XP per session for player attendance), and has other out-of-game ways to increase your XP, then it makes more sense to withhold XP from players for not attending.

If XP is a thing the characters get (for instance, defeating the bugbear king and his minions earns the party 2500 XP), then the characters should get XP if the characters were involved in the adventure, even if the character was run by another player. Alternatively, if the character does go off looking after a sick friend / celebrating a gnomish holiday, one thing that can work is to have the character end up on some sort of sidequest to explain why they got as much XP as the rest of the party.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taran
Nov 2, 2002

What? I don't get to yell "I'LL FINISH THIS" anymore?

Grimey Drawer

CDOR Gemini posted:

It seems like the easiest way to get them to pay attention to the game, but am I being a passive aggressive rear end in a top hat?

Eh, probably.

In the tabletops I'm in people do tend to get the occasional phone call, but they usually ignore it unless it's from someone likely to be important (significant other, immediate family, that sort of thing). And even then they normally head off to someplace where they won't distract the game, answer, and unless it's urgent the other end gets a "I'm kinda busy now, can I call you back later?"

Then again, the people I game with are really into roleplaying games, and I'd be really surprised if any of them would even think of walking out of a game in progress in order to go out drinking with other friends. If your players are like that, they may simply not care as much about the game as you do, or they may not realize that it actually takes some effort to prep for a session. I think they'd just get annoyed if you go at it with check penalties and what-not, though.