Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Nope, extra-punishing people who had to miss the last session with XP loss is indefensibly stupid. "Risk and challenge and competition" do not involve seeing who can best dodge real-life entanglements in their quest to show up for the session.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world

ripped0ff posted:

If your main attraction to PnP RPing is XP, then I'd rather not have you at my table.

But...that's precisely the assumption that you're operating on. That's why you don't give experience points to players who missed sessions. Because you think that the point of sessions is to get experience points, and it would somehow shortchange the people there if people who weren't there also got experience points.

I mean, that's actually the implicit reasoning. "It'd be unfair to the players who got xp for sitting through my game session if other people were to get xp completely for free, so I'd better not give the non-attendees xp in order to maintain up the incentive to show up."

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

It is actually you who is a dick to your players because you punish them in-game for things that happen out-of-game. I'm surprised that you find this so hard to grasp.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ripped0ff posted:

Well done guys, you reached Level 4. Sadly, Frank is no longer with us, as he chose to go to the waterpark last week and that was the last straw.

How the gently caress do you decide when someone wants to play your precious game enough? Semper Fi DnD, motherfuckers. I can't even imagine being a big enough dick to lecture someone on how committed they are to playing DnD.

Hahaha you're incapable of conceiving of any kind of DM/player interaction except in terms of punishment for misdeeds

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ripped0ff posted:

How the gently caress do you even get that out of what I was saying? I was parodying what Half of Dracula said, not giving an example of something I would say. Megaman's Jockstrap is the one going on about lecturing players for some sort of attendance problem.

Right, and you think that lecture or game ejection is supposed to be some kind of stand-in punishment since the normal punishment of removing xp has been arbitrarily declared off-limits. It's really very sad.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Countblanc posted:

I'm no DM, and fairly new to traditional gaming as a whole, but I really can't see past the "the person is missing a fun activity, why should they be further punished?" line of thinking. Maybe I'm just naive though.

When you're not a very good DM you need to scrape together any incentive you can get for people to actually show up

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ripped0ff posted:

No, the lecture isn't a stand-in punishment, it's just stupid. If you don't like playing with someone or they miss just about every session, kick them out. You don't need to talk to them like they're a kid and scold them about their commitment to DnD.

What I can't see past is the hypocrisy of all this. I go, "Well guys, this is the way me and everyone I've ever played with have ever played and what we're comfortable with and enjoy." Then I get back, "You're loving stupid dude, you need to do it the way we say to, because that's the only way to enjoy DnD. Your players are #1, but by 'your players' we actually mean 'our opinions'."

I actually did something super nerdy and crunched some numbers to show you how massive this "punishment" is.

Let's say that on average, folks earn 500 times the party's average level in XP every session. You run a 10 session campaign track with an experience reward at the end for all the players finishing the campaign track. Jim misses the third and fifth sessions.

1st session - 500 xp
2nd session - 500 xp (every hits 1000 xp and level 2)
3rd session - 1000 xp (every hits 2000 xp, except Jim, who gets half XP and goes to 1500 xp)
4th session - 1000 xp (every but Jim makes 3rd level and 3000 xp, Jim is only 500 xp behind)
5th session - 1500 xp (everyone else is at 4500 xp, but Jim who misses his second session and gets half again, going to 3250 xp and 3rd level)
6th session - 1500 xp (everyone else makes 4th level, and Jim gets to 4750 xp)
7th session - 2000 xp (everyone else is at 8000 xp, and Jim gets to 4th level and 6750 xp, he has missed two sessions and is the same level)
8th session - 2000 xp (everyone else makes 5th level but Jim)
9th session - 2500 xp (everyone else is at 12500 xp, but Jim who makes lvl 5 and has 11250 xp)
10th session - 2500 xp with 1000 xp bonus (everyone else makes 6th level and 16k exp, Jim is trailing at 14750 xp, just 250 shy of 6th lvl)

The higher the level, the less difference missing half XP makes each time. This also assumes that Jim is the only one to miss any of the ten sessions. If everyone else had missed even just one session, they'd all pretty much have the same XP.

Hmmm, interesting. So what you're telling me is that because Jim misses game sessions, his character is made weaker than everyone else's character to punish him for it.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

So you're saying that losing experience doesn't set Jim back? But...in your own example, Jim ended up lower level than everyone else. Perhaps you're playing some indie game where "experience points" means something different from what the rest of us are assuming it does..?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

RagnarokAngel posted:

Since when is EXP "worthless"? Pretty sure its one of the most valuable commodities to a character.

Well, it's only a little bit of xp. What I like to do though is deduct one hitpoint from the absentee player's maximum for each missed game - I mean, it's just one, right?

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ripped0ff posted:

"Er, ma'am, is Billy even in my class? I don't remember teaching him."

"No, actually, he's in Ms. Cartwrights class. But I don't approve of the way you award Perfect Attendance in this class."

"Well, all the other parents in this class, even the parents of kids without perfect attendance, don't mind it. In fact, most of them actually like the way I do it since it makes the Perfect Attendance reward more meaningful, if only just slightly."

"Sounds to me, Ms. Applebottom, like you just can't control your children except through draconic punishments. You must instead learn how to properly address them. Instead of punishing them, have you ever thought about sitting down with them and just lecturing them about their commitment to their own education?"

"Ma'am, so long as I get a signed note from their parents, I try not to pass judgment. Unless they have a genuine truancy problem, I don't mind that much if their parents pull them out of school on occasion."

"You disgust me. Your passive-aggressive attitude is costing these children their fun and education."

"Not really. I just figure they're trading the fun of the seeing their schoolmates, for the fun of doing whatever it is their parents pulled them out of school for. I'm sure if they go to Disneyland, for instance, they enjoy that more. Besides, I'm actually nicer than most teachers. I send their homework off to them so that they don't fall behind too much."

"Well, you ought to just give them an 'A' for all the work they miss instead... and the Perfect Attendance award."
So what you're saying here is that in order to punish people who miss your game sessions through no fault of their own, you make their character weaker than everyone else's. I just want to be clear here.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Maybe if you were a better GM you wouldn't have to literally threaten your players to get them to turn up to games..? This is just a thought.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Coming up with something really clever or otherwise defeating something singlehandedly is its own reward. There's no reason to power-up the lucky guy in order to make it even more likely that he, rather than the other players, is important in the resolution of future challenges.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

ripped0ff posted:

At work and slacking...

Honestly though Ferrinus, every GM makes the characters of people who miss their games weaker in one way or another. A couple pages back, for instance, someone mentioned how the players who are there get first pick of the loot and maybe a larger share of the gold. Weaker magic items and worse equipment leaves characters at a disadvantage as well, perhaps even a larger disadvantage than missing a few hundred XP, but we all accept that this is a reward for the active players and not necessarily a punishment for the inactive ones.

No, we don't. "A reward for active players" and "a punishment for inactive players" mean the same thing. You punish players for not showing up to game sessions. Why you feel the need to do this is beyond me (it isn't actually beyond me, I'm just saying that because it sounds good), but it's not something you can handwave away.

Your attempts to conflate things like "first pick of the loot" with "permanent weakening" are ridiculous. I also notice you tried to sneak "smaller share of the gold" in there, except that no one here says they deliberately give less treasure to people who miss games because that, after all, would be a stupid childish attempt to extra-punish players for things beyond their control.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Quantumfate posted:

So hey, I need help. Bad. I'm running an NWOD mage game, and while I don't mind players one-shotting the odd encounter, I have a problem. One of players is a thyrsus. How can I stop him from transmuting everything into bees? or turning Tzimisce Szlachta into pomeranians? Or trying to kill archmages? or transmuting the bacteria in the lower intestine into e-coli or ebola. He's a friend, and does roleplay, but still. Help me keep him from breaking the game :v:

What level Life does he have and what's he using it to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

Life 3 isn't at all overpowered except in the case of a Strength 5 dude granting himself Strength 8. I'm not exactly sure what you think the problem is with him using Life/Matter to turn objects into insects, or Life to turn dogs into different dogs.

If he's going to use Life 3 to attempt to disease someone, abstract it as "Roll dicepool resisted by target's Stamina, target suffers a penalty of your Life rating to his next [successes] rolls, and also gets sick with some disease whose danger level is commensurate to your successes which he will need to get regular treatment for."