Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

Personally if I'm DMing a tabletop campaign with my own group, I don't really try to direct the players in any way. I find that if I've already decided what the outcome of the players' choice is it can leave everyone feeling frustrated even if they aren't quite sure why. If you give players the illusion of choice they can usually tell they're not being given a real choice, maybe even on a subconscious level, and that tends to lessen their enjoyment. That's my take on it, at least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndItsAllGone
Oct 8, 2003

The idea is not to limit your players' choices. Let's say you've introduced an evil overlord character like you described--a villainous baron, perhaps. It's true that not a lot of good characters are going to ignore that, but I don't think it's railroading just to introduce a potential enemy. That's part of your job as the DM. But it's up to the players how to handle it. Maybe they want to go to a neighboring rival noble to recruit help, or rally local peasants to overthrow him, or convince the king to remove him from power, or just invade his keep and kill him. Or if they decide to not deal with him and move on, try to have at least an outline of some stuff elsewhere for them to do. True, it can be disappointing when you create a scenario only to have your players ignore it, but that's just part of being a DM.