Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The doppelganger idea seems good. I do enjoy when they are deluded into thinking they are doing good things but they are doing bad things.

I'm also considering a dupe plot so this is a great time to have popped in. I've gotten really into GMing Paranoia Red Clearance and have a fun idea, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to handle it. The PCs are going on an adventure in a dead zone which will take them off of the Computers grid for a while. While they're on the adventure the Computer is going to assume that they are dead and spawn new clones, who are memory backed up to right before they entered the dead zone near the start of the mission. I'm having trouble with the best sequencing approach I don't want to reveal what is happening too obviously too early, though I'm sure at least a couple of my players will figure it out.

My current/original plan is to have them play out the mission and fade to black as they walk away from the final major plot sequence of the dead zone. They'll respawn as fresh clones and be informed by the computer that they died on the mission and it does not know the results. They'll be instructed to travel back into the dead zone to find out what happened. This is when they encounter themselves leaving and the computer instructs the fresh spawns to murder these mutant imposter terrorists.

I'm not sure if this is the best way to do it I'd like to do something to gauge how the mission clones react to seeing duplicates of themselves, maybe. I also haven't decided whether the Computer cares which set of clones survives, as long as there's only one. And also the possibility of the clones teaming up and going underground.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Oct 25, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Oh gosh if they kill his pet or already did on the way in he might be mad enough to make them do a fetch quest

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Make them handle ship combat via Space Alert. It's a real-time spaceship survival boardgame.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Tree law but for mirror alignments. "you overlit my rose bushes with your lovely new windows and I demand payment of such and such"

Maybe some of the PC's armor is polished to an illegal level of shininess that disrupts something.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
PF2e has the best combat and it's easy to build encounters but the system is a bit crunchier.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Maybe a cult of dragons who just want to be left alone and aren't interested in ruling anything.

Maybe a gardening club called the Queen of Worms or even the Kings of Worms that are constantly spatting with the cult. More non-cult social groups getting mixed up with the cults could be funny.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I'd get all the questions and answers written down and retcon the actual timeline

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The townsfolk mock them and the so called heroes are forced to retire in disgrace. Now roll actual heroes.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Pre-rolled characters should all be based on members of the Burger King kids club, Scooby Doo, or other IP crossovers.

The Scooby-Doo team saving the real Ghostbusters would be pretty amazing has that been done before

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Rules as written in many ames you can create a magic item by possessing certain other kinds of items needed for a ritual. Any item that is not consumed you still have when you're done. It's still an amethyst but we have to say the amethyst is consumed in the rules or some jerk is going to start trying to make a thousand of them out of a single amethyst.

It's me. I'm the jerk. :twisted:

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Everyone definitely wants to get a hold of that unicorn. the thing about not being evil around it is also good.

And having already been seen might be a good time for a plot hook of attempted kidnapping or something like that. You could also mix in attempts by good guys or authority figures who the player characters aren't supposed to kill like a local King who wants the faun for it for his child.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Depending on how the boss is it might be fun to plant all sorts of seeds of a doubt or manipulation within the populace. Attacked by a friend without warning type stuff. They leave horses with the stable boy he poisons them and has no memory of why.

Maybe introduce a new character in the village that they are of course going to suspect is the lich himself.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It's tricky for sure. This is a group that they would otherwise have to fight? This group is looking for trouble? How much does it matter if this fight goes? If they are just going to clean up these marks and rest after there's no harm in letting them win this way. Or maybe this fight will simply happen out of order when the mercs come looking for them after getting in trouble for this.

If the players were especially creative but you want a fight, you can reward them by having some limited number of mercs walk away to check up on the story rather than the whole crew. If you're concerned that they are just going to lean on this bard lying forever you can punish a bad attempt harder.

Can also kind of cheat by inventing extra characters that weren't supposed to be there that are the people sent away to check on the story. Players don't know Billy in the backroom is someone you just made up.

In this case the reward for a well told lie could be the chance that they get a surprise round because the mercs are now somewhat off guard

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 20:56 on Jun 28, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Some other sub boss of his, resurrected as his lackey and in charge of this operation. Possibly with out his boss's knowledge as a surprise gift.

The other side of the portal, for magical reasonsbthey just can't walk through. they can use this later to go to him maybe. The players probably won't like this as much it's too obviously railroading.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 22:48 on Jun 28, 2022

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
The baron agrees to step away as long as the town is named for him

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
My pf2e PC is a high CHA face. He is much more persuasive charming and funny than I am. One of his abilities is to insult people and give them a debuff also giving himself a temporary buff that can be spent for a big attack. I frequently just roll this or use something generic because I might apply this ability three or four times in a fight depending on how hard I'm spamming finishers. But sometimes I get to be really funny and get a hero point. The hero point mechanic for good roleplay is one I like a lot.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Bad Munki posted:

Is your character the flap of skin from Doctor Who? Do you go around demanding to be moisturized?

This is definitely my next

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I recently tried Symbaroum which I'm really liking. It's light on rules, but has a lot of cool abilities and magic users have to balance their "corruption" or turn into horrible monsters

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Treat it like a normal dungeon with very wet terrain obstacles and then plant a few opportunities that if any of them have strong swimming skills or underwater breathing they can take advantage of.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I see. So you can do things where everything is on its side or even upside down and that might affect basic puzzle operation.

Puzzles/traps could involve float bobbers or failsafe mechanisms that need to be cleared of water before the door will open.

You can mix these things and need the characters to somehow refloat the submarine before a specific door opens.

Generally in my experience with water puzzles involves trying to fill or drain specific things. You can easily adapt any kind of aerial puzzle though.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Currents in general are really fun way to mess with players and I can't believe I forgot them.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I started running Pathfinder 2E Strength of Thousands for my group. Going pretty well except for one huge challenge. The characters are going to magic School and are living in dorms with 12 other students, plus two kids. So there's about 16 or 17 total characters who are regularly around. We're on day three and they've only met four or five formally, because it's very tricky balancing the little early missions and meeting each of these. I'm trying hard not to have them all meet at once because then there will be a lot of interaction between characters that I barely know and I'll be playing all of them.

One pc os a construct who only needs 2 hours of sleep a night so I might have him meet some of the other students alone which should be more manageable. But other than that this is overwhelming.

Any general tips? I'm considering just extracting the rules reference that describes most of them and their rooms, cleaning up any spoilers, and giving it to the players to give them a sense of who is around and what they are like. Might be too immersionless.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
It would be meaner if he had them marry first. Kor is very mean, I like hating him!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I think that's really important. They decide what they do, the dice decide how successful it is. But that naturally entails deciding in advance whether this is a stab or a hit with the flat of the blade.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I really like how Symbaroum handles this. It's a weird system where you buy powers with exp instead of traditional leveling and the setting/style is grim dark and survival horror ish. But the big thing is players do all the rolling.

PCs have a defensive roll against the attack to not get hit. When they get hit their armor provides a dice of defense against a flat enemy damage. It's very fun.

As was mentioned, fewer dice= tighter range around the average.

Harold Fjord fucked around with this message at 15:54 on Jan 20, 2023

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
A pub crawl is great thematically for a 0 funnel.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Loving the idea of 40k Troubleshooters and a merciless Friend Inquisitor

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Personal cloning mcguff

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
I can think of any number of legends, myths, and other treasures that would lead someone to want to scare everyone away with the threat of vampires.

But my favorite answer is some dork pretending to be a vampire with magic items and sheer gothness.

'How can I still be hungry? I've had so much blood!"

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
"For one last twist, you can marry the winner. You know, until death do you part. Or! You can wed this minor death goddess, become her unliving avatar, and spend eternity in rapturous bloodlust."

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
If the AI is doing full 3D print cloning, as opposed to reshuffling the piece, you can also generate a huge pile of CEO or other ghosts if relevant.

It should always be possible in a climactic moment to beat an AI with Logic should it be awesome enough.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Hes the GM now. (The player who just made himself BBEG)

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Obezag

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004

Fidel Cuckstro posted:

I suppose next step is I need to either find someone who's worked out tarot deck hand probabilities for different sized hands, or try to refresh myself on probability math that I barely understood 20 years ago lol.

This is the kind of thing that LLMs can be ok at, and has probably definitely been done a bunch.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
They should have to pass through The Serpent end to end.

Might be a logistical challenge to get inside it in the first place