Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Furiowned
Apr 18, 2004
I'm a spoiled brat that needs to get a job

Super Waffle posted:

Question: Can I change a Rod into a Wand? The Warlock in my party wants a wand, but I have planned on giving him a lvl 2 Rod Of Dark Reward. Could I just make it a Wand of Dark Reward without horribly unbalancing the game in some unforeseen fashion?

Well it depends. There's no mechanical difference between a wand and a rod for a warlock. If your warlock simply wants a wand because that's what he was using and has implement expertise in then you might as well give him the 'Wand of Dark Reward.'

However if he prefers the fact that wands and rods are different things entirely (ie. wands hold a spell that is used as a daily item power) then he probably just wants a wand that has a cool encounter/utility spell on it.

Really, if you are planning on running a long term campaign you should simply get a wish list, as the DMG suggests, from each player and more or less give them what they want with perhaps the occasional oddity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Furiowned
Apr 18, 2004

Super Waffle posted:

Another question for you. How would I handle a "Trap Room", say the room before the Treasure Room. Can I do an encounter with nothing but traps? Do I roll initiative for each trap that has an initiative? What if they're all triggered traps?

It's slightly more difficult to run trap encounters, but yes it's very doable. If you have access to Dungeon magazine I'd suggest looking at The Sand King's Daughter in Dungeon 160. It's an epic level dungeon but about half of the rooms are nothing except trap encounters and it will give you a really good idea about how traps work as an encounter.

Also starting on page 85 of the DMG you'll get a whole bunch of sample traps as well as lots of explanations of traps. The run down is that traps come in a couple different varieties like monsters. Sometimes they do roll initiative depending on the function of the trap depending on if they repeat every "round" or not. You can make traps elite by improving their damage/DCs. Also, every trap should have multiple countermeasures.

In 4e it's almost never the case that thievery is the only option to disable the trap and other skills should always be included that can either disable the trap or help someone else disable the trap. For instance, a dungeoneering check to discover something will give someone a +2 to help disarm it. Athletics is a common skill to help jump over most obstacles or pressure plates so make sure you know how far players would have to jump. Finally make sure that if it makes sense to give the trap defense (usually really low) and hp in case they decide they want to beat on it.

Furiowned
Apr 18, 2004

Fitz posted:

I am using the new monster builder to create a "final boss" for my players Paragon levels. It is a party of 4 and I plan on having this showdown happen when they are level 20.

Here is the stat block I have so far, is it too much? Too little? I don't have a lot of experience with high level creatures and this fight is a long long way away, but I was just looking for some feedback.

Click here for the full 440x746 image.

You might want to have Flame Cage or Fey Step or possibly both recharge with an action point use. Otherwise you are probably going to run out of attacks and just be waiting on recharges. Also I don't see why pyrokinetic blast would be a recharge 6 given that it really isn't that powerful. I'd suggest making it recharge 3 or even a non-recharge, unless there is deadly terrain that is worth pushing PCs into.

Edit: Push 1 with a knockdown at a lower recharge would be perfect.